mtbr member
    Apr 2011

Jet 9 RDO headset question

With all of the blowout deals on the early version RDO frames I was curious to know if they come with the headset. I know niners site states that they do but from everyones experience do they come with one? I most likely would be buying from either competitive cyclist or backcountry (same).
    Who's came with and without and from where?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    V1.0 NO Headset, buy the one Niner sells for $50.

V1.1 Yes, headset included (actually just bearings that fit in the head tube and maybe even a YAWYD)

V1.2 Yes, see above.

You have to call and have the customer service folks actually look in the frame box, if they have it in stock.

I bought one from CC and it was a V1.1.

Called HammerHead his were V1.0.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I think CC and Backcountry are the same company now, anyways, CC matched the low low price I found from an online dealer and they sent my my RDO with a headset, V1.1, just as PB Matrix described... So go with CC and you'll get V1.1 and a headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Ask the dealer what version they have in their inventory, that's the only way to be sure. If the dealer is having the bike drop shipped then request the version you want. Not all dealers know about the earlier version headset differences so you are at an advantage, we had to swap the frame and there was some confusion before it was sorted out.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Your best bet is to wait until you get the frame and see what version you get. I asked what version mine was when I ordered and they said it was V !.0 so I ordered a headset to match it. When My frame sowed up it was V 1.1 so I hope they take back the Chris King headset!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So which type of headset is best? Or are there no advantages one way or another other than the Integrated frames come with a headset which ends up costing less money in the long run?

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    So which type of headset is best? Or are there no advantages one way or another other than the Integrated frames come with a headset which ends up costing less money in the long run?
    Assuming durability is the same, if you're trying to build the lightest bike possible, integrated headsets would seem to be the way to go as you can save weight by forgoing the press in cups of other headset types. A nice little side benefit, for those who like to build up their bikes from frames, is you don't need a headset press to install the headset.