Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588

    Jet 9 RDO groupo...swap over my XT group..or consider SRAM?

    Sorry guys, I know we have been seeing a lot of jet 9 rdo threads lately...and I jumped on the sale price bandwagon...price was too good to not ride a niner carbon. My original intentions were to swap over majority of my newer model XT group (2x10)...but after seeing many other rdo's...SRAM seems to be the brand of choice. could be wrong..but I see a trend. This is a lightweight XC build...with fit being #1 priority, and weight being second priority.

    I have a lot of experience with shimano and Normally, I'd make this decision myself based on real life riding scenarios but I'm curious why SRAM seems to be more popular. Id really like to give sram a try. Is it because niners press fit 30 bottom bracket is better suited for bb30 or gxp cranks? Any noticeable between a bb30 vs GXP crank? Different spindle size?

    My options right now are to swap over my XT 2x10 drivetrain and brakes. Or build it to SRAM XO with my current XT brakes. I don't mind paying a little more to end up with a build under 25-26 lbs. From my calculations....all XT will add a full lb in weight. XO might get me under where I want to be...but involves more investment. XTR, XX, or XX1 are out of my league right now...and I'm not a strong enough rider for 1x10.

    If it was your bike...Would you build it with XT 2x10 and replace parts as needed? Or go with the XO from the start? The plan is to ditch the current hardtail and go full suspension for a race ready build. I know both groupo's are awesome...just wanna avoid the "should have done it different" scenario.

    Thanks guys.

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1,379
    Since you claim not to be to weight conscience,

    Get this BB adapter
    Race Face 2012

    Then build it with what you have, but use the lightest wheels and tires you think you can use for your riding.

  3. #3
    RPG
    RPG is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    516
    I just got an rdo with a full xt build kit. The fork is a rs revelation set to 120mm, which is heavier than the fox. Wheels are Stan's laced to hopes. Weight with pedals is 25.5lbs. I came off SRAM x9, and prefer xt much more.

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    982
    Depending on wheel and tire choice you should be able to hit 25lbs with the full XT group easily. I would go with the XT unless you are going to XX1. XO is not a full pound lighter then XT. You would have to go to XX to save the full pound. XTR Race is 8 ounce lighter then XT and XX is 8 ounces lighter then XTR.

    I've been going back and forth with a simuler decision. I built my Jet9RDO with a mix of XT and X-9. With Stan's Crest wheels it is 25.4 lbs with pedals. The XO cassette is a big weight saver. It only weighs an ounce more then XX and is $100 cheeper. The cranks are the other light part on XO but the XT shift better.

    I'm going to swap over to XX1 a piece at a time and stick with the XT brakes.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    468
    I prefer SRAM shifting, but not enough to buy it if I have pretty good XT parts ready to swap over. Save the money for something else and use the XT.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: herothedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    308
    You're probably going to get some strong emotional responses from SRAM vs Shimano users. They both work quite well (except XT/XTR brakes are way better than the SRAM brakes).

    I've been riding on an XX build since the Jet 9 RDO came out, but as of the fall I've switched to XTR brakes. I can't believe how much better they work. I've also switched from the XX rear derailluer to the X0 type 2. The XO type 2 is quite a bit heavier, but previously I was having issues with dropping the chain on fast heavy hitting trail and that is completely gone now, and it is super quiet. I also have a set of X0 GripShifts I'm going to try, they are exactly the same as the XX GripShift except for the label.

    I've stuck with SRAM drivetrain parts mainly because I've been using SRAM for years and have a good amount of spare parts around if I need something. Build up something new I'd probably take a very close look at XT/XTR, just to try it out.

  7. #7
    I got nothin'
    Reputation: hydrogeek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    683
    I am in the process of collecting all of my parts for a new RDO build myself. I am going with all XT drivetrain and brakes. I have bikes with both SRAM and Shimano. You can't go wrong with either brand as long as you buy the mid to high level stuff. The only exception in my experience are the brakes. The new Ice Tech brakes from Shimano are so frackin' good!

    IMHO, use your perfectly good XT components and save a few bucks. No need to buy a whole new drivetrain if your current components are good. The only change you might have to make is if you don't have a direct mount front derailluer.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

  8. #8
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,150
    Hi
    I'm running XX1 I my new RDO & it is awesome.

    I'm sure that X0 & X9 version of the XX1 group won't be far away, So If I was you I wouldn't buy a new group at the moment unless you had to, I would run what you have now & see what comes up early in the new year.

  9. #9
    COTA member
    Reputation: Dry Side's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    914
    Zero problems with SRAM X0 (2x10) on my J9RDO. Seems to be lots more posts about problems with the rear derailleur cable when used with XT/XTR.

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    Hey guys...thanks for the friendly and helpful responses. For some reason I was thinking that XT group would add an additional 3/4 - 1 lb...I read it somewhere on this forum. I've already been struggling getting my hardtail under 24 lb, and it's frame supposedly weighs 1.5 lb less then the j9rdo without headset and bb.

    You guys are right. I don't think any of my options are going to have negative results. I was starting to think that I was gonna end up with a build around 27-28 lb by going all XT...which defeats my purpose for buying the new frame in the first place...it'll also have a f29 100m fox fork, and arch ex/3.30 hubs. New wheel build is next on my list...maybe some crossmax st or slr. I think its a no brainer after reading your posts...I'll be going XT on the rear and front der, brakes w/ ice tech rotors, and XT shifters. I think Im gonna go SRAM on the cranks tho. There are some really good deals on xo cranks w/o the bb...which have a nice weight savings when side by side with XT 2x10 cranks

    So back to bb30/gxp. I've searched, trust me. They both require a different press fit bb, correct? And if I go with shimano cranks later on....I'll need the bb30 and the BSA adapters or similar)? The sram gxp bb won't let you run adapters for shimano, correct? I'm seeing SRAM cranks sold without the bb's but listed for either bb30 or gxp...not compatitble with both. Press fit bb's are new to me...I've always had bikes with 68 or 73mm shells and the thread in style cups. Anyone help me figure the differences between the 2....is one style lighter or less prone to failure then the other? We rarely get rain here, and only the occasional creek crossing which sometimes gets deep. I'm having the bb press fit before I pick up the frame and wanna make sure I get it right to first time. This niner deal is kinda far from me and want them to at least press fit the bb and hs for warranty purposes.

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    I've also switched from the XX rear derailluer to the X0 type 2. The XO type 2 is quite a bit heavier, but previously I was having issues with dropping the chain on fast heavy hitting trail and that is completely gone now, and it is super quiet. I also have a set of X0 GripShifts I'm going to try, they are exactly the same as the XX GripShift except for the label.
    I've heard of this happening with a few other rear mech's...And the problem was solved using a rear with one of the new fancy clutch systems, like the newest xt and xtr. Something about the niner design working very well with the clutch style mechanism. Any truth to this? I hate dropping chains! Always happens at the worst possible times.

  12. #12
    Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Reputation: kwarwick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    1,010
    I'm also collecting the parts to build up a Jet 9 RDO and was thinking along similar lines of moving Shimano drivetrain parts over. Only thing that gave me pause was the direct mount derailleur as Niner seems to specify SRAM S3 derailleurs rather than Shimano. Doing a little searching around I decided it would be easier to stick with Niner's recommended components and went the SRAM route.

    JensonUSA has a killer deal at the moment on 2x10 X.9 cranks for $95... you can get the PF30 BB for $37 and SRAM X.0 direct mount front derailleur for $56 with a little price matching with OutsideOutfitters.
    Last edited by kwarwick; 12-26-2012 at 04:17 PM.

  13. #13
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,150
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    I've heard of this happening with a few other rear mech's...And the problem was solved using a rear with one of the new fancy clutch systems, like the newest xt and xtr. Something about the niner design working very well with the clutch style mechanism. Any truth to this? I hate dropping chains! Always happens at the worst possible times.
    The problem with the Jet9 RDO is it's fast so it hits things harder & faster so is more likely to have problem if it's not setup right.

    That said the clutch type rear derialieurs keep the chain under control with the hard & fast hits & make it all work so much better.

  14. #14
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,150
    Going BB30 is the Nicer way to go because it is just the PF30 bottom bracket & BB30 cranks.

    However if you were ever going to change back to your Shimano cranks ( Don't know why you would ) you would need a 24mm Bottom bracket so you could choose to go for the PF30 to GXP adaptor & run a 24mm GXP bottom bracket & get the sram GXP cranks.

    I have BB30 in my Tang RDO & GXP in my Green RDO, I have not had any problems with my BB30.

    The reason I have GXP on my green RDO is because the XX1 group was ordered for my Rip9 RDO that isn't PF30.

    Now that I'm going to stick with XX1 when the Rip9 RDO turns up I might just buy another group with BB30 & swap cranks over at that point.

    But You won't go wrong with either.

    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Hey guys...thanks for the friendly and helpful responses. For some reason I was thinking that XT group would add an additional 3/4 - 1 lb...I read it somewhere on this forum. I've already been struggling getting my hardtail under 24 lb, and it's frame supposedly weighs 1.5 lb less then the j9rdo without headset and bb.

    You guys are right. I don't think any of my options are going to have negative results. I was starting to think that I was gonna end up with a build around 27-28 lb by going all XT...which defeats my purpose for buying the new frame in the first place...it'll also have a f29 100m fox fork, and arch ex/3.30 hubs. New wheel build is next on my list...maybe some crossmax st or slr. I think its a no brainer after reading your posts...I'll be going XT on the rear and front der, brakes w/ ice tech rotors, and XT shifters. I think Im gonna go SRAM on the cranks tho. There are some really good deals on xo cranks w/o the bb...which have a nice weight savings when side by side with XT 2x10 cranks

    So back to bb30/gxp. I've searched, trust me. They both require a different press fit bb, correct? And if I go with shimano cranks later on....I'll need the bb30 and the BSA adapters or similar)? The sram gxp bb won't let you run adapters for shimano, correct? I'm seeing SRAM cranks sold without the bb's but listed for either bb30 or gxp...not compatitble with both. Press fit bb's are new to me...I've always had bikes with 68 or 73mm shells and the thread in style cups. Anyone help me figure the differences between the 2....is one style lighter or less prone to failure then the other? We rarely get rain here, and only the occasional creek crossing which sometimes gets deep. I'm having the bb press fit before I pick up the frame and wanna make sure I get it right to first time. This niner deal is kinda far from me and want them to at least press fit the bb and hs for warranty purposes.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    525
    drz200sm - Think you're on the right track. There is a ~255g difference between XO and XT, assuming same brakes and a KMC chain on both, most of it in the crank, something like the Wheels Manufacturing BB adaptor for the XT and the cassette.

    Think about Raceface Next SL cranks and their BB and an XO cassette if you are looking to go lighter

    -Shane

    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    Hey guys...thanks for the friendly and helpful responses. For some reason I was thinking that XT group would add an additional 3/4 - 1 lb...I read it somewhere on this forum. I've already been struggling getting my hardtail under 24 lb, and it's frame supposedly weighs 1.5 lb less then the j9rdo without headset and bb.

    You guys are right. I don't think any of my options are going to have negative results. I was starting to think that I was gonna end up with a build around 27-28 lb by going all XT...which defeats my purpose for buying the new frame in the first place...it'll also have a f29 100m fox fork, and arch ex/3.30 hubs. New wheel build is next on my list...maybe some crossmax st or slr. I think its a no brainer after reading your posts...I'll be going XT on the rear and front der, brakes w/ ice tech rotors, and XT shifters. I think Im gonna go SRAM on the cranks tho. There are some really good deals on xo cranks w/o the bb...which have a nice weight savings when side by side with XT 2x10 cranks

    So back to bb30/gxp. I've searched, trust me. They both require a different press fit bb, correct? And if I go with shimano cranks later on....I'll need the bb30 and the BSA adapters or similar)? The sram gxp bb won't let you run adapters for shimano, correct? I'm seeing SRAM cranks sold without the bb's but listed for either bb30 or gxp...not compatitble with both. Press fit bb's are new to me...I've always had bikes with 68 or 73mm shells and the thread in style cups. Anyone help me figure the differences between the 2....is one style lighter or less prone to failure then the other? We rarely get rain here, and only the occasional creek crossing which sometimes gets deep. I'm having the bb press fit before I pick up the frame and wanna make sure I get it right to first time. This niner deal is kinda far from me and want them to at least press fit the bb and hs for warranty purposes.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic
    - Arthur C. Clarke

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by seleniak View Post
    drz200sm - Think you're on the right track. There is a ~255g difference between XO and XT, assuming same brakes and a KMC chain on both, most of it in the crank, something like the Wheels Manufacturing BB adaptor for the XT and the cassette.

    Think about Raceface Next SL cranks and their BB and an XO cassette if you are looking to go lighter

    -Shane
    Thanks for the input shane. Alot of good people on this forum...and very much appreciate no one bashing me too hard over the questions I never really ever considered race face...one of my older complete bikes came equipped with the ride xc cranks...and i actually liked them for a inexpensive crank...but they were freaking heavy! I think i saved something around 200 grams by going to XT. But ill definitely keep the next SL crank in mind....along with the XO option. I figure that since my frame hasnt even arrived yet...i might as well have everything set in stone that i want. On 68/73mm shells with the threaded bb's...i never had to worry about this stuff since it was so easy to pull out bb's and replace them as needed. But with all this press fit stuff...i dont really want to invest in the tools needed to press and remove them...and wanted to get things right the first time. So, on the newer frame designs...they make it a little more difficult to swap parts at home with basic tools.

    Shane, Maybe you would know....so if i went the race face route...their bottom brackets are also compatible with shimano, right? Im thinking Worst case..i need a crank swap and have my xt cranks in the parts bin....or if i have the money later on and go with the xtr cranks. Would I still need to have a shop pull the BB and go through the hassle of installing the bb30 with BSA adapter?

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Going BB30 is the Nicer way to go because it is just the PF30 bottom bracket & BB30 cranks.

    However if you were ever going to change back to your Shimano cranks ( Don't know why you would ) you would need a 24mm Bottom bracket so you could choose to go for the PF30 to GXP adaptor & run a 24mm GXP bottom bracket & get the sram GXP cranks.

    I have BB30 in my Tang RDO & GXP in my Green RDO, I have not had any problems with my BB30.

    The reason I have GXP on my green RDO is because the XX1 group was ordered for my Rip9 RDO that isn't PF30.

    Now that I'm going to stick with XX1 when the Rip9 RDO turns up I might just buy another group with BB30 & swap cranks over at that point.

    But You won't go wrong with either.
    Muzzanic...you truly are the expert on the j9 rdo's..and probably anything niner related. Its nice to know we can all count on you to chime in and give us your input without making us feel like we are on the bottom on the totem pole. Ive been following a lot of your posts...and id have to say your the main reason I have opted for the jet 9 rdo...you seem to have alot of hands on experience with the niners. You mentioned that they may come out with the 1x11 in either XO or X9.....but in reality...will there be any weight savings when compared to a higher end 2x10 system? It seems like the main benefit of the XX1 is the weight and simplicity...but if you build the group to x9 standards youll still get the 1x11 but i cant imagine much weight savings over a XO/XTR 2x10 or even a higher end 1x10 drivetrain...any opinions on that?

    So, i read on niners site that they will be offering the carbon rockers and rear section as an "add on" at some point in the future. So basically turns the 2012 model..into the 2013 rear section with the so called new industry standard 142x12 spacing. Have you heard any rumors of this...or do you think it might happen?

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    525
    Yes the Raceface BB works with both their cranks and the Shimano ones, so no need to pull it to go between the RF, XT or XTR ones.

  19. #19
    Daniel the Dog
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,531
    I use 9 speed XO shifters and derailleurs with XTR rear cassette, chain, and crankset. Works fine. I don't like the internal routing but it works fine now. I like the ergonomics of the XT better than XO but XO seems less vulnerable to mucky cables. Tough call. Both work great.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    710
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post



    So back to bb30/gxp. I've searched, trust me. They both require a different press fit bb, correct? And if I go with shimano cranks later on....I'll need the bb30 and the BSA adapters or similar)? The sram gxp bb won't let you run adapters for shimano, correct? I'm seeing SRAM cranks sold without the bb's but listed for either bb30 or gxp...not compatitble with both. Press fit bb's are new to me...I've always had bikes with 68 or 73mm shells and the thread in style cups. Anyone help me figure the differences between the 2....is one style lighter or less prone to failure then the other? We rarely get rain here, and only the occasional creek crossing which sometimes gets deep. I'm having the bb press fit before I pick up the frame and wanna make sure I get it right to first time. This niner deal is kinda far from me and want them to at least press fit the bb and hs for warranty purposes.

    Correct. All you need is a pf30 to BSA adapter. Wheels Manufacturing is another company that can make whatever you need to fit. Praxis also makes machined versions. To play it safe you can get BSA style cranks from Sram and use on other bikes. My understanding is the pf30 setup is an ounce lighter if you are weight conscious.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •