• 07-21-2012
    llamma
    Jet 9 RDO front derailleur?
    Well, I thought I had the correct Shimano front derailleur for my new RDO:

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont..._mountain.html

Shimano FD-M780-E

http://bike.shimano.com/publish/cont...bm.512.384.gif

After removing the BB plate it bolts up as expected, but now I'm trying to run and adjust the front shifter, and I don't see how this thing could possibly work with my XT M780 crankset. The cage doesn't swing down to the small ring, and I don't think I can get it close enough to the tallest ring to line it up like Shimano recommends. I'm going to finish trying to get it on there, but I figured I'd verify it with someone here. Either I'm an idiot and have the wrong one, or I'm an idiot that can't figure out how to install one of these correctly.

Something tells me there's really no one else running 3 rings on their RDO, but I'm just swapping everything over from my RIP9.
  • 07-21-2012
    llamma
    I'm just an idiot and after bolting everything up it works just fine. I just wish Shimano was a little clearer about how to line the cage up when you take the BB plate off. I also wish Niner would post compatible models on their website or in their encyclopedia. Hell, they even incorrectly list the M781 FD on http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9rdo under the XT build kit list, and there's no way that one fits the RDO.
  • 07-30-2012
    The Boz
    So the correct SRAM XX front derailleur for this bike would be: direct mount, S3, bottom pull?
  • 07-30-2012
    muzzanic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    So the correct SRAM XX front derailleur for this bike would be: direct mount, S3, bottom pull?

Yes, You also need to order it for your chain ring size.
  • 07-30-2012
    The Boz
    Thanks. And I hear the rear derailleur takes a medium cage, which is too bad because I have a long cage Sram XX rear derailleur to spare. I suppose that using the long cage would really screw up shifting, am I correct?
  • 07-30-2012
    muzzanic
    Quote:

Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Thanks. And I hear the rear derailleur takes a medium cage, which is too bad because I have a long cage Sram XX rear derailleur to spare. I suppose that using the long cage would really screw up shifting, am I correct?

No, It will work fine.
  • 08-10-2012
    Buadyen
    Quote:

Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I'm just an idiot and after bolting everything up it works just fine. I just wish Shimano was a little clearer about how to line the cage up when you take the BB plate off. I also wish Niner would post compatible models on their website or in their encyclopedia. Hell, they even incorrectly list the M781 FD on http://www.ninerbikes.com/jet9rdo under the XT build kit list, and there's no way that one fits the RDO.

Llamma, have you had a problem with the front derailleur cable popping out of the cable guide on the bottom of the frame? The angle of the cable as it enters the derailleur looks like it would almost always pull the cable out of the guide and leave it rubbing directly against the frame. (I don't have any photos because my camera isn't cooperating with me at the moment.)
  • 08-10-2012
    llamma
    Are you using the Shimano M780-E? I've had no problems like that. Take note that the cable will go over the top of the arm to make it a top-pull. So the cable will go straight up (lined up with the guide), wrap over the drive side of the arm in the cable guide there, then go down the non-drive side where it's held by the bolt. I can post a picture of it tomorrow if you need me to.
  • 08-11-2012
    Buadyen
    Yes, it is -- on mine, the cable definitely takes an angled path from where it exits the frame to where it goes over the derailleur arm. Putting the cable into the guide looks like it would force more of an angle into the cable, possibly where the it could get pulled out of the guide.

If you could post a picture, that would be great.
  • 08-11-2012
    llamma
    1 Attachment(s)
    Please excuse the mess and missing cable end. It's not the greatest pic, but I can't really get a better one without removing the rear wheel with the bike on a stand.

The angle that it takes to get to the derailleur is very minimal, and it stays close enough to the frame that I don't think it will ever be able to slip out of the guide.
  • 08-11-2012
    Buadyen
    1 Attachment(s)
    Yes, that's a difficult location to photograph without taking things apart, thanks! I'll have the bike shop take a look at it when I can -- it shouldn't cause any problems in the short term since I don't use the front derailleur all that often.
  • 12-16-2012
    gtrdmg
    My bike shop has fitted a FD-M980E onto my new Jet 9 RDO frame, I told them I wanted 3x10. I am having the same problem as Buadyen, the cable came off the guide and rub on the BB. Am I having the wrong Front De ? Can anyone tell me what is the correct Shimano front de for this frame running 3x10 ? Thanks.