Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

I purchased a Jet 9 RDO at the end of 2012 and put it together. Rode it approximately 6 weeks and noticed a crack on the very bottom of the down tube just above where the rear shock bolts into the bottom bracket shell and just to the side of where the front derraileur attaches. Niner and Competitive Cyclist was great and replaced the frame immediately. I rebuild the bike and have been riding it for about 2 months and noticed the identical crack starting. It almost looks like a clear coat crack but it extends all the way across the down tube and starts up the other side.

Any one else had this issue?Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-original-frame-crack.jpg

USED2COULD
    No but I'm going to take a close look at mine when I get home... Glad to hear niner treated you as I expected they would from their reputation and prior customer support practices.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've got two friends who purchased the identical bike and both have the same crack starting.....

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Looks like just paint cracking. My bottom shock tab has a large paint chip that I used nail polish, clear on. You could have it NDT'ed but finding someone to do it is hard. I work in the Aerospace Industry, so I could get it ultra sounded fairly easily.

Tell your LBS where you bought it about it and monitor it for width and length

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

I had the same just happen to my v2.0 frame. I took it to the LBS while Niner was out on their retreat and I'm still waiting to hear back if they will cover it under warranty...

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Wow, poor Niner!

mtbr member
    May 2013
    yup, all too familiar. I just received my 3rd frame since Dec 29th. Niner was great about the replacement but I had to wait a few weeks because they didn't have any frames available. I understand they switched mfg companies overseas.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I wish I could have my frame crack now & again so I could have a new bike.

mtbr member
    I just got an update on my frame. Niner is covering it under warranty, but they are currently out of stock on the v2 Jet9 RDO's in my size and they won't have them in until the end of the month... Ugh... At least It's in process...

mtbr member
    Do you have to turn in your frame now or can you keep it until they have one in stock? I would ride the crap out of it as it just looks like a clear coat/paint crack.
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    I just got an update on my frame. Niner is covering it under warranty, but they are currently out of stock on the v2 Jet9 RDO's in my size and they won't have them in until the end of the month... Ugh... At least It's in process...

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

The LBS has it. They have been really good though and are lending me an aluminum Jet9 from their demo fleet. It's not my bike, but it'll keep me riding while I wait for the replacement.

29ers Only.

Official Info

Niner Riders -

We have identified an isolated manufacturing error in the seat tube of some carbon Jet frames. The issue (a fold in the carbon fabric that should not be there) is specific to a small percentage of stock from the last year's production.

The issue is not dangerous, nor will it fail catastrophically. It is, however, pretty embarrassing. We apologize for the inconvenience it has caused our riders.

We made a change in production as soon as the problem was identified. It is confined to less than 1% of production from last season.

Whether or not a frame had this issue was obvious when the engineering team inspected our stock. We have removed any frames displaying this problem from our warehouse.

If you ever have an issue with a Niner product, contact your dealer. We will stand behind our warranty.

Regards,
    Carla
    Last edited by Niner Bikes; 05-07-2013 at 11:09 AM.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

Moosehead
    ^Dear Niner CS and Carla;

mtbr member
    Carla-
    Isn't there a way you can determine the frames that would be affected by this through the manufacturing date and/or serial number? Since your engineering team inspected your stock for this issue in your frames, wouldn't there be a way we can look for this ourselves?

Might give a lot of us some peace of mind.

29ers Only.
    Unfortunately, due to the location inside the frame, inspection by riders would be very difficult to do accurately. You can give yourself peace of mind, however, if you have been riding your bike with no issues so far. In the majority of identified cases, this problem becomes evident the first time a full body-weight load is placed on the frame.

This is a small number of errors in a very large batch of frames. Less than 1% were affected. The issue is random, and is not easily identifiable by serial number.

Regards,
    Carla

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    The issue is random, and is not easily identifiable by serial number.

Regards,
    Carla
    This gives me very little confidence now in Niner's outsourced manufacturing (this isn't the first time folks). How this could be random considering the process of laying up the carbon should be standardized (like anything mass produced) for production is just bizzare to me. How this happens during a certain stretch of production could be understandable, but randomly through production? Bad shift for a line worker? Oh well - here we go again.

mtbr member
    I would classify this as HTFU in your case. They had an issue and they are taking care of it if it affects you. I would always be happy with a new frame.
    Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    This gives me very little confidence now in Niner's outsourced manufacturing (this isn't the first time folks). How this could be random considering the process of laying up the carbon should be standardized (like anything mass produced) for production is just bizzare to me. How this happens during a certain stretch of production could be understandable, but randomly through production? Bad shift for a line worker? Oh well - here we go again.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I would classify this as HTFU in your case. They had an issue and they are taking care of it if it affects you. I would always be happy with a new frame.
    HTFU? Easy tough guy-it's just the internet.

mtbr member
    LOL....I should get a temp ban for using road bike acronyms...

Sorry man, I understand your frustration but it looks like Niner takes care of the buyers. I'm new to this brand but loving it so far. And bikes just break sometimes.
    Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    HTFU? Easy tough guy-it's just the internet.

Moosehead
    Both slim2none's and bailey44's positions are understandable. While I might be in the same position as baily as a new Niner owner quite pleased with CS thus far including seeing repeated examples of them standing behind their warranty, Niner's frame breakage history is a bit lumpy and has obviously frustrated customers.

Solid companies have both dialed QC best practices and great CS. I'm taking confidence from the Niner response above and hoping that (1) issues are nominal, and when needed (2) Niner stands behind any problems via a solid warranty policy.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    The LBS has it. They have been really good though and are lending me an aluminum Jet9 from their demo fleet. It's not my bike, but it'll keep me riding while I wait for the replacement.
    Are you in NoVa by chance, and riding BikeLane's Jet9? If so, take it back so I can try it!
    A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.

Rider down under
    I am very reassured by the official reply above. Sure Niner has had a few issues with cracked frames in the past but their response has been nothing short of first class as it is in this instance.
    Without naming names I can think of at least 3 boutique US based frame manufacturers, who are regularly involved in frame failure warranty disputes and the best customers can hope for is crash replacement frames after considerable delays.
    If you think you're put out by having to inspect your frame regularly which you should be doing anyway, then consider being 6 months or more off a bike with the uncertainty of a warranty dispute.
    Full credit Niner!

mtbr member
    I'll say this about my circumstances.

1. I unfortunately caught my issue while Niner was on their annual retreat.
    2. My LBS has been excellent with helping me through the process and taking care of me with a loaner ride.
    3. I have full confidence in Niner and know that they stand behind the quality of products, they have proven this to me.
    4. When I get my bike back I'll be enjoying the crap out of it and not worrying if I'll experience another problem.
    5. If I do experience another issue, see #2 and #3.

mtbr member
    Also, thanks Niner for responding. The commitment to customer satisfaction is one of many reasons I chose a Niner.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by silent713 View Post
    Are you in NoVa by chance, and riding BikeLane's Jet9? If so, take it back so I can try it!
    yes and yes, I'll be more than happy to meet you on the trail one day to give it a spin. Unfortunately I'm in the middle of training for the Lumberjack 100 and the SM 100 so I need the bike to keep my legs going.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast