Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by jboyd122 View Post
    The only noticeable difference is that the last frame showed up with red anodized cage screws instead of the plain aluminum ones on my first two frames. I have wondered if they used those to mark the known good frame runs, or if it is purely coincidence. Also supposedly the new reinforced frames weigh just a hair more than the ones which were having the problems. I never weighed mine to compare though. Either way I got excellent customer service from my LBS and Niner. I'm extremely happy with my current frame and trust it will last a long time.
    My new one also has red bottle cage bolts, however mine weighed 5.1 Lbs (Medium), my first generation weighed 5.5 Lbs. Nice to drop 0.4 Lbs with the new one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by schocka View Post
    Jet 9 Carbon is the frame that is the warranty replacement for '11-'12 Jet 9 RDOs

The new Jet RDOs are considered an upgrade with carbon rockers, 142x12 rear and CTD shock. So to go to this frame would be $300-350 plus the adapters to convert my rear hub. Another $40-50

To do the RIP 9 RDO, also considered an upgrade over my current frame. So $300-350, 142x12 adapters, will need a new dropper post, crankset and would want to do Pike for the fork. Looking at somewhere around 2k all said and done. Can maybe recoup some of that reselling the parts that wont transfer over, but still a nice chunk of coin.

That said, I am still strongly considering it
    I received the new RDO at no charge. Well except for the $600 for new wheels and a rebuild.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    I received the new RDO at no charge. Well except for the $600 for new wheels and a rebuild.
    interesting..is that the shop taking care of you or niner? I purchased my frame online closeout end of 2012 and when i spoke to niner they told me about the upgrade fee. i left out the rebuild fee in my guestimation which is i believe $60 an hour.

regardless, i am going RIP 9 RDO and at this point i just want it here yesterday

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Competitive cyclist took care of it through niner. Sent the old frame to niner and niner immediately shipped the new one. I had the new frame within a week of filing the warranty claim.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Competitive cyclist took care of it through niner. Sent the old frame to niner and niner immediately shipped the new one. I had the new frame within a week of filing the warranty claim.
    I think CC helps expedite the warranty process. They had a resolution within days. In the end I settled on a different manufacture from CC.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I think it all depends on the shop you are working with and what their relationship with Niner is like. I bought 2 closeout Jet RDO's (at the smoking prices) and both cracked at different times and I got the first replaced with the Jet Carbon (which cracked under a month), it was upgraded to the Rip RDO and then the 2nd Jet RDO cracked and I got it upgraded to the current Jet RDO at no charge. Of course, I built them myself and had to buy axle conversions, new seatpost, BB adaptors, new fork (for Rip), cables, housing, etc. ,etc. so it wasn't like it was "no charge" when it was all said and done.
    I was happy the way they took care of me and will definitely remain a loyal Niner fan/owner.

Just Joshin' ya!
    Well, unfortunately, I had my Jet 9 carbon (2013) frame crack in the same place as other peoples. Right above the derailleur mount. Niner was great and sent me a replacement frame within a week. I had the moon dust grey frame for over a year before the crack happened. I never took it easy on this frame either and I am around 200 pounds. I got a new Tamale Red Jet 9 Carbon with the updated cable routing, so I am pretty happy with it. If anything, this made me more likely to continue to purchase Niners in the future.
    Getting a dropper post is like getting a bidet. I didn't know I needed one until I get one and boy, does my ass thank me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    When you talk about new cable routing, i am lost????
    Please explain?

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Love my Niner jet 9 rdo 2012 orange tang, its unique here in Spain.......

Paid top price
    Im being offered moondust carbón With a 6 week wait???????
    Why should i expect a warranty for a frame under the Price i paid for a RDO ?????

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I have seen posts , where other bikers, where waranted with RDO,S why should i accept a jet carbon ?? When I paid top price FOR RDO and upgraded to Sram XX??? OR IS IT BECAUSE I LIVE IN SPAIN?????

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Help me out here, please
    I do not like the moondust grey, tamale red, por the new orange/white....

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Rick, you will have an independent distributor in Spain - they will be the decision makers on warranties, and in particular, what is warranted under local law.

Unfortunately, the jet 9 c is the direct replacement bike, which allows a reuse of the wheelset - with replacement frames you can't get what they don't have - so colour options will be limited.

I think the best you can do as a cracked frame owner is "hope" you get the new RDO, but you might get a jet c.

Cable routing - new cable routing is like the RIP RDO - it exits at the side, not under the bottom bracket

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    OK , i appreciate your timely response , bit still don't understand why some bikers get to choose carbón c or Rdo ?????

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    In regards to 135mm qr to 142mm ????? Does not affect my riding, i don't Race.... etc.... Just enjoy the hell of riding through the SIERRAS OF southern Spain, always last on the steep climbs, bit with the biggest smile , because of my Niner RDO, here in SPain everyone is on specializd, cannondales and tren... Bit when i show up with my jet 9 rdo, NINER TAKES THE WIN... ..

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rick28 View Post
    OK , i appreciate your timely response , bit still don't understand why some bikers get to choose carbón c or Rdo ?????

Just pedal dammit
    Rick, I understand your frustration. I have just ordered my Hot Tamale Jet 9 carbon with 135mm rear axle and I hope it doesn't crack under warranty.

I have been following this thread and the replacements seem to be a case by case situation. Sometimes people pay an upgrade fee to get a Jet RDO or RIP RDO replacement. Sometimes their bike shop gives them an RDO when Niner will only give them a carbon. Maybe some of the replacements are the new 142mm Jet RDO's which of course will be replaced with the same spec.

Personally I support your view and in Australia our consumer law would give you good protection about getting an RDO (current model) to replace an RDO (previous model).

All the best with the warranty claim.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thank you, so very much

Just pedal dammit

mtbr member
    Has anyone had their frame replacement in the last month? When they offer the upgrade how much has it been to the RDO? My shop submitted a claim last week and i'm waiting on a response. I'd love for them to upgrade me for free like the other guy a few posts back but I'm also wondering what they charge if they're not surprising and delighting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    i got mine replaced last week with updated version without extra charge.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I got offered a carbón c, after 8 weeks of waiting. Since the dealer where i bought my jet 9 rdo no longer does business with topfun bikes (niner distribuitor in spain )Not a happy biker right now
    Spanish niner service, is not up to U.S. Standards.
    Called niner usa, left msg. They called me back within 20 min, said they would see what they could do. NOW THAT IS CUSTOMER SERVICE!!!!
    all i want is an rdo. Just like i paid for, needless to say Ill have to purchase new handle bar , carbon seat post,stem etc ....which was all color matched to my jet 9 rdo
    Will keep You pósted and ,hopefully Niner will come through and send me an Rdo.
    Keep pedaling dammit

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    My local shop charged me $350.00 for the upgrade.
    They also put my shock on the new frame and told me it was better than what was sent out.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sounds like you are getting a good screw job here. They charged you $350 while others have gotten free upgrades, and now they kept the new shock which they will probably sell as new. Did they charge you to swap over the components to?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012

No good Can´t get no satisfaction

WELL I REALLY GOT THE SHAFT.
    DID NOT EVEN GET AN OFFER TO UPGRADE. ONLY SWAP WITH CARBON C.

NINER SPAIN MADE ME TURN IN MY KASHIMA RP 23 FOX SHOCK.

TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT, ATTITUDE IS ALL I GOT.

THUMBS DOWN ON YOUR INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUITOR IN SPAIN.

AND TO TOP OFF THE STORE WANTS TO CHARGE ME 125 $ FOR THE REBUILD.

P.S. Also to find out that the bike store where i purchased my jet 9 rdo , no longer does business with NINER SPAIN...go figure
    Last edited by rick28; 03-18-2014 at 10:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Sorry about the caps, its to show how pissed off i am.

NOT PEDALLING

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

I had to pay for my upgrade as well. Picking it up today. I'm thinking those free upgrades had something to do with availability. Free would have been great but I'm okay paying for the upgrades too. I can't decide if I should keep my shock or not though.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

If you bought a RDO you should get a RDO regardless. Isn't the MSRP the same?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The MSRP has gone up about $400 or so from version 1 with the addition of the thru axle and carbon rockers. The Jet Carbon's MSRP is about the same as the Jet RDO V1 and is basically the same bike with revised cable routing and a revised seat tube that hopefully won't break.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    The MSRP has gone up about $400 or so from version 1 with the addition of the thru axle and carbon rockers. The Jet Carbon's MSRP is about the same as the Jet RDO V1 and is basically the same bike with revised cable routing and a revised seat tube that hopefully won't break.
    If it was me & I had a 2012 Jet9 RDO ( top of the line at the time I brought it ) & it cracked, I wouldn't be very happy having it replaced with the Jet9 Carbon.

Even though the Jet9 Carbon is the same frame, All be it with a lesser shock.

I would be happy to put my old shock & alloy rockers on a new Jet9 RDO front & rear Triangle. If I had to, But would do what ever I could to keep the RDO on the bike.

I replace my bikes quite often & need the most money I can to do this, I would like my chances of selling a second hand Jet9 RDO for more than a Jet9 Carbon.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have there been any reports of the new Version 2 frames cracking at the seat tube like the Version 1 frames? By V2 frame I mean the one with new cable routing and also 142 rear thru axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I see an obvious line of some sort from the bolt downwards, no play though. Planning on calling Niner about it tomorrow, but given the five year warranty, they do much better than others in covering their frames. Called Competetive about it, they are sending me the warranty form, and I will bring it by a shop. Again, I am don't think it is there, but given the location of what could be just a clear coat/paint crack, I am having it checked out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't think I was screwed.
    I bought mine on close out originally.
    The new one has been built up, but it has been sitting in the garage because I have been using my SS all season.
    I will ride it at the Firecracker 50 I think.
    Now I am in road bike mode.

mtbr member

New Jet 9 RDO Seat Tube Crack XX1

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-crack.jpg

mtbr member
    Photo up above is of my new dream bike. This bike is heaven on the trails around here and begs to go faster than I am capable. Never wrecked, this was my 9th ride on it and about 70 miles total. As I started up an incline I heard a pop and this was the result. I also lost a pivot bolt as you can see at the bottom just left of the chainring. Sucks donkey balls! I called up my LBS and they assured me all would be taken care of promptly Monday morning. I've been dealing with them for years and I know this to be true. I'm glad Niner takes care of their customers so well and am confident they will do the same as in all other cases. I'm 238lbs and am well within the rider weight limit Niner post in their online encyclopedia of a 295lbs. Our trails here in Louisiana ain't nothing but rooty single-track. No drops are descents.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by ch13f View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	894176
    That's gnarly.
    "Life is way too short to own anything crappy"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So it appears that the even the new RDO frames are doing the same thing? Ch13f, what size of bike is this and how much do you weigh all geared up? Just curious...

mtbr member
    This is a size large and I put my weight earlier. I don't ride with a hydration pack or tools of that sort. All my local Trails are located in parks. I do carry a pack when I go ride away from home but haven't had a chance as of yet. I was still getting used to the dynamics of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Have there been any reports of the new Version 2 frames cracking at the seat tube like the Version 1 frames? By V2 frame I mean the one with new cable routing and also 142 rear thru axle.
    Yup, just look at ch13f's pic above, that is a new frame with the carbon rocker and notice the cable routing is the new.

mtbr member
    I'm back on the bike again. My LBS Bicycle Superstore of Lake Charles, LA had everything filled out for warranty when I brought my bike to them Monday during my lunch break. And by Friday they had received the new frame and built up my bike and had it ready for pick up. After I got off work I burned a couple laps. Niner warranty was excellent and my LBS really looks out for their customers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-jet-9-rdo-frame-crack.jpg

So my love hate relationship with my Niner Jet 9 RDO continues. This bike absolutly rips when tuned and is so damn pretty to look at and then it always seems to crack....Has anybody seen a crack in this location? Obviously you can see a tear where the protective tape is on the undercarraige due to some kind of impact. Im clueless as to what hit my frame and to make matters worse, this is my 3rd green/black Jet 9 RDO since last July. Last two have cracked where everybody elses's have cracked and I've only had this current frame three months.... It seems Niner fixed the frame design with stronger carbon placment as this one has yet to crack behind the shock like everybody else's and now this. Local bike shop has has no problems getting the last two replaced for me however this time with the impact mark, Niner has declined replacing it.... Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Does look impactish. Just keep riding it - there are always howls from people who think carbon explodes like an IUD under you, but I have never come across actual evidence of such occurrences.

You must have at least 90% of strength there (assuming the cracks go all the way though on both sides). I wouldn't ride it if the crack opened up and you can see the inner carbon fibre, but there are repair options for carbon fibre which are superior to aluminium repairs - but it won't look as good again after repair

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The tear in the protective tape kind of gives it away as an impact. Or some kind of trauma while being stored. I wouldn't recommend riding it if you plan to have it repaired, calfee is relatively cheap. I think their most expensive repair is only like $300. That's pretty cheap compared to a new frame. And if you ride it more it will probably get more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Hi Jeremy,

Sorry to see this damage. Please make sure you bring the bike to an authorized Niner dealer for inspection. We can suggest possible solutions from there.

Thanks,

Nate

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. The bike was actually picked up from my local bike shop (RBM) by MILLENNIUM BICYCLES last Friday who specilizes in custom frame builds and carbon repairs so I will post up how that turns out. I just sent you an email Nate so Im no sure if there is anything you are willing to do for me at this point since the bike was taken to a Niner dealer and I was pretty much told I can get a replacment at cost. Whether my dealer dropped the ball or not I really cant say as they had my last two replacements shipped to me in a week which I was very impressed with. Either way Im tired of riding my road bike and Im ready to get back out on the trails and I will post the outome of this great adventure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-frame-repair-2.jpgJet 9 RDO Frame Crack-frame-rapair-1.jpg

This is my first experience with carbon repair however it appears to have turned out well. For anybody wondering I paid 250 for the repair with clear coat. I opted to not have it painted for another 200 bucks thinking it would be hard to match Niner's awesome metallic paint job and figured it would add some character to my bike. Anyways I just picked up my bike and look forward to hitting the trails after work!

mtbr member
    Hey, everyone. I've noticed my Jet 9 is starting to develop some cracks around the BB area. How frequently is this just cracks in the clear coat vs. a compromise of the carbon structure? Any way to tell?

Thanks!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Hey, everyone. I've noticed my Jet 9 is starting to develop some cracks around the BB area. How frequently is this just cracks in the clear coat vs. a compromise of the carbon structure? Any way to tell?

Thanks!
    Pictures of these cracks might help us...

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. Of course. I will post some as soon as I get a chance.

mtbr member
    Hi, we would love to check this frame out and help evaluate what is going on - give us a ring at (877)646-3792 to talk to a real person, or email any photos to warranty@ninerbikes.com

Thanks,
    Nate

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Hi, we would love to check this frame out and help evaluate what is going on - give us a ring at (877)646-3792 to talk to a real person, or email any photos to warranty@ninerbikes.com

Thanks,
    Nate
    Thanks, Nate. Email on its way!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My Jet 9 RDO cracked after 300 miles. Niner replaced the frame quickly for me. Love the bike just hope it doesn't crack again.

mtbr member
    Man, I have around 2,000 miles(ride more on the road bike than the MTB) on my V2 and it is still perfect. I usually like to get a new bike every couple of years but noway I am replacing this one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Hi guys! I got a 2012 jet 9 rdo. I notice theres a line crack on my frame but im not sure if its a paint crack or carbon crack. Heres the pic.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvl1aqe8or...02015.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/n44sklaqin...01958.jpg?dl=0

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by steelmech View Post
    Hi guys! I got a 2012 jet 9 rdo. I notice theres a line crack on my frame but im not sure if its a paint crack or carbon crack. Heres the pic.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/yvl1aqe8or...02015.jpg?dl=0 https://www.dropbox.com/s/n44sklaqin...01958.jpg?dl=0
    Welcome to the club. Better start stripping that frame to send back to niner or your lbs.

mtbr member
    Nov 2014
    Woah really? Just wondering, does niner cover paint crack?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Woah really? Just wondering, does niner cover paint crack?
    You NEVER know....and Niner is not willing to chance it. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the 2013-up frames are much stronger....so start strippin'
    "Life is way too short to own anything crappy"

mtbr member
    Hi, we can help figure out what is going on with your frame - email us at intlwarranty@ninerbikes.com or give us a ring at (877)646-3792 to talk to a real person.

Thanks,
    Nate

Peace,
    Niner Bikes

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    This past August I purchased a closeout Jet 9 RDO frame from Colorado Cyclist. In October, after only a handful of rides, I noticed cracking in the frame on the down tube just above the bottom bracket. I a 2 wheels on the ground rider. My riding terrain is not rocky at all. I have not had a hard wreck on this bike. Nor have I ever noticed a hard strike occurring during any of my rides. As you can see from the pics, there are no impact marks of any kind to the area.

Per Niner’s instructions, I brought the frame to the nearest dealer (unfortunately about a 1.5 hour drive for me). I left the dealer reassured as they indicated that it was a clear warranty claim.

About a week later Niner asked for the frame to be shipped back to further assess what caused the damage before they make a warranty determination. Now I have a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-1_cracked-jet-9-rdo-frame.jpgJet 9 RDO Frame Crack-2_cracked-jet-9-rdo-frame.jpgJet 9 RDO Frame Crack-3_cracked-jet-9-rdo-frame.jpg

I will let you guys know how this all turns out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Watching this thread with interest as was going to pull the trigger on a 2015 jet 9'rdo but there seems to be way to much of recurring theme of frame breakages. Any news on if the 2015 is robust?

mtbr member
    Looks like an impact.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_b View Post
    Watching this thread with interest as was going to pull the trigger on a 2015 jet 9'rdo but there seems to be way to much of recurring theme of frame breakages. Any news on if the 2015 is robust?
    I wouldn't worry. Most of the reports here are from the 2012 original RDO. Many failures of the V2 RDO's look like impact damage. The niner warranty is very good and fast.

mtbr member
    Best of luck

mtbr member
    Clear coat cracking....

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by mark_b View Post
    2015's are using a different technology with the carbon, should be no worries with the 2015 bike. Don't foget you are covered with a 5 year warranty, that means you'll have coverage till 2020. I hate to say but this pic looks like some type of impact but I will say this, why isn't the screws going through the frame if there was an impact? So I'm a bit baffled on this pic on this green frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    2015's are using a different technology with the carbon, should be no worries with the 2015 bike. Don't foget you are covered with a 5 year warranty, that means you'll have coverage till 2020. I hate to say but this pic looks like some type of impact but I will say this, why isn't the screws going through the frame if there was an impact? So I'm a bit baffled on this pic on this green frame.
    Different technology? I doubt it. Maybe a slightly different layup pattern with less material.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Do they not ship the frames with the helicopter tape on the down tube anymore? That cracked green frame above looks bare down there.

As for the durability of the new frames... Didn't they switch to a new factory as well as a refined process? Is it Astro Engineering in Vietnam?

I'd like to think things have improved since I got (and eventually gave up on) my first generation Jet9 RDO, but I'm skeptical (given how many Niner products of all materials have busted under my immediate circle of riding friends over the last few years.)

The warranty is very good though and their customer service is outstanding.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Different technology? I doubt it. Maybe a slightly different layup pattern with less material.
    What I was talking about was their "new" carbon compaction system with rigid internal molds is what they are saying. If this green frame here is a product of that... Well...

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    Do they not ship the frames with the helicopter tape on the down tube anymore? That cracked green frame above looks bare down there.
    Yes it does have the helicopter tape over the damaged area. Its tough to see because the helicopter tape is not damaged at all. All the damage is bellow the tape.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Certainly looks like a slam directly onto the water bottle bolt. Note the loss of green paint. NO other abrasion on frame which you'd expect if it hit a rock or log.

I have one of Cytoe's bang guards on my RIP RDO and thankfully. Niner should buy him out and supply them with every bike. As we all move to 1x systems the chance of the downtube hitting a log/rock has increased significantly where the larger outer ring used to be the first line of defense for direct hits.

I've smacked mine a few times and been concerned enough to get off my bike and check things out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Well, hopefully Anderson76 will be able to get a brand new frame with those sick colors they are doing the Jet 9 RDO in now. I think the only the newer colored frames are the ones with the alleged new carbon technique. Eitherway, I'm in your corner Anderson76, I hope it goes in your direction...

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Certainly looks like a slam directly onto the water bottle bolt. Note the loss of green paint. NO other abrasion on frame which you'd expect if it hit a rock or log.

I have one of Cytoe's bang guards on my RIP RDO and thankfully. Niner should buy him out and supply them with every bike. As we all move to 1x systems the chance of the downtube hitting a log/rock has increased significantly where the larger outer ring used to be the first line of defense for direct hits.

I've smacked mine a few times and been concerned enough to get off my bike and check things out.
    Putting water bottle mounts there is a questionable design decision given a hit to one of those bolts is going to concentrate the impact force. I've also got Cytoe's guard on my Jet 9 RDO but I'm not sure it would help much if the bolt head was hit directly, especially with the large square headed bolts in that photo. Mine came with much lower profile button head bolts that hopefully would let them slide over an object rather than jamming and ripping up the carbon.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    Be interested in this as well. Though if it were me, I'd only want the frame as well. The kashima fox on the rdo's is a very nice shock, and upgraded to what's delivered on the carbon.

edit , my crack hasn't propagated in a couple of months
    Righto, update time, but well start with a nice photos rather than a sad one

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-image.jpg

So, anyway because of the colour change and my lack of confidence that Niner had sorted the problem, I continued to ride my faintly cracked white RDO. So it survived well for 4000km without really worsening much untill I inspected behind the seatstay one day and noticed another crack on the opposite side, then a month later another, then another. In the meantime I had managed an impact damage on the downtube as well, but the bike was developing a creak while seated so I stopped riding it, fearing the frame would break entirely and that niner might blame my impact for it ( I know, paranoid me)

Anyway, I bought this bike in the US and so decided to ship it back to the original retailer for warranty ($100 in postage). Niner promptly covered the bike and offered a Jet 9 c or an RDO for $250 extra. I chose the RDO and niner sent the retailer the blaze yellow/ graphite frame which would not have been my choice - I am guessing the red/black is the big seller, and the graphite/blaze is the choice for warranty replacement.

So postage back to me in Australia was $350 (ouch!). So for $700, I've got a 2015 frame instead of 2012 with the cracking problem solved . On the plus side, the 2012 was in need of a full service for the shock, due for new bearings for the frame and I've now got a spare headset ( though lost a pretty worn bottom bracket).

Anyway in spite of the cost I feel like I've got a new bike, and the graphite blaze yellow actually looks beautiful in the flesh - so ordinary in photos but opening the box caused significant erectile protrusions : D

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Tell me that's not true....

Hello

just bought yesterday a 2013 January JET 9 RDO black/green with trough axle...and just ended now in this thread...

From previous owner I just got a receipt of the purchase...in th end if my frame will broke I'll be with no solution...

From what I've understood also V1.2 frame broke...

Tks
    Paolo

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by bertello80 View Post
    Hello

just bought yesterday a 2013 January JET 9 RDO black/green with trough axle...and just ended now in this thread...

From previous owner I just got a receipt of the purchase...in th end if my frame will broke I'll be with no solution...

From what I've understood also V1.2 frame broke...

Tks
    Paolo
    Well...I'm the only lucky one ?!?!

Just after 3 rides, and neither so serious...approx 90 km of light trails...the seatpost area got broken...
    I really don't know what happened...I'm using a KS LEV DX of the correct diameter...31.9, clamped @ the prescribed torque with a professional torque wrench...
    Let's see is this damage will growth....inserion is on the safe side...min insertion line is approx 3 cm in the seatpost tube...
    I really don't know...

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-20150308_155555.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Bugger.

FWIW the min insertion line is what the seat post people put on it ( not the frame builders ), I would never only leave that much seat post in a carbon frame.

You meant 31.6 seat post right ?

I brought a Reverb seat post once that was clearly marked 31.6 on the seat post & it was 30.9, so that could have been a trap for someone, so check the sizing as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bertello80 View Post
    Well...I'm the only lucky one ?!?!

Just after 3 rides, and neither so serious...approx 90 km of light trails...the seatpost area got broken...
    I really don't know what happened...I'm using a KS LEV DX of the correct diameter...31.9, clamped @ the prescribed torque with a professional torque wrench...
    Let's see is this damage will growth....inserion is on the safe side...min insertion line is approx 3 cm in the seatpost tube...
    I really don't know...

Name:	20150308_155555.jpg 
Views:	185 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	971202
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Seatpost of the correct diameter and not smaller diametet with adapter.

mtbr member
    I'd get that repaired - it would be easy to just clean it up and wrap some carbon fibre round it and epoxy it - doesn't even need painting.

For anyone else reading it - the most common over tightening damage I've seen on the net is via torque wrenches. I use carbon paste for grip, sometimes roughen up the clearcoat and just use a std Allen key - occasionally things slip, which means you tighten it another eighth of a turn.

Anyway get it repaired and maybe get a more substantial seat collar as well - eg thomson.

Niner specs >400mm seaposts, which means over 100mm insertion. Most KSs are 380

mtbr member
    So... What happened with Anderson's frame?

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by pharmaboy View Post
    I'd get that repaired - it would be easy to just clean it up and wrap some carbon fibre round it and epoxy it - doesn't even need painting.

For anyone else reading it - the most common over tightening damage I've seen on the net is via torque wrenches. I use carbon paste for grip, sometimes roughen up the clearcoat and just use a std Allen key - occasionally things slip, which means you tighten it another eighth of a turn.

Anyway get it repaired and maybe get a more substantial seat collar as well - eg thomson.

Niner specs >400mm seaposts, which means over 100mm insertion. Most KSs are 380
    Hello

just re-checked. I'm 140mm in the seattube....I don't see so critical...

I'll search for some good carbon repairer here in italy...sincerely little disappointed ...

tks to all for your feedback
    Paolo

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by pedaler845 View Post
    So... What happened with Anderson's frame?
    My bad. I owe this thread and update. For anyone just joining in, mine’s the green RDO frame. Just to recap – Niner’s local dealer concluded it was clearly a warranty issue and submitted the claim. Niner, thought otherwise and requested that the frame be shipped back to the factory for inspection. Niner, initially denied the warranty claim concluding that it was clearly impact damage.

They offered the following crash replacement options: (1) new rdo frame w/ shock $2300, (2) new black front triangle $1268, and (3) new front and rear triangles w/o suspension parts.

After having originally paid 2k for the frame, this was just too much of a kick in the nuts. I instructed Niner to send it back to me and that I would file suit in court for breach of express warranty. In response, Niner changed their position and agreed to send a replacement frame. Unless you sue people for a living, ymmv with threatening to file suit.

I asked for and received a black Rip 9 RDO as a replacement frame. The god’s honest truth is I don’t recall any sort of impact while riding the J9. I truly believe that there was a latent defect that manifested its self under normal riding forces. What the pictures I posted do not convey is the way the damaged area felt when you poked at it. It just felt like the whole area came apart. Even though my frame may have been a dud, I just did not have any confidence in the durability of the J9 RDO.

Here are my 2 cents on the Rip 9 RDO vs Jet 9 RDO decision. Unless you are a racer or a diehard weight weenie – Rip 9 RDO all day long. The J9 RDO is a race bike and in that category you start to lose buyers if your product has a frame weight much over 5 lbs. In contrast the typical R9 RDO buyer is not going to balk at an extra bound of frame weight. I think that the extra pound of carbon will go a long way towards withstanding strike damage. On the J9 frame, I can deflect portions of down tube by apply firm pressure from my thumbs. That’s not the case with the R9. The CF wall thickness is greater on the R9 (well at least is feels significantly more solid). Also, the R9 is significantly stiffer than the J9. This is particularly evident in the suspension linkage are. In comparison to the R9, the J9 is a noodle in the linkage area.

I wish I could say its all smooth sailing with the RIP 9. The fox shock on my frame had a non-functioning CTD. While I don’t fault Niner for this, getting it replaces turned into a bit of an ordeal. They make you go through their local dealer. Unfortunately, my nearest Niner dealer is a 45 min drive. Moreover, I did not purchase the frame from this dealer. While the people at the shop were nice and all – I don’t think that getting my shock replaced was exactly on the top of their to-do list. In the end, I received the new shock, but it took a while.

In addition to the bad shock, the machining in the head tube cup area is out of spec. I, along with others have documented this problem here:

2014 RIP 9 RDO upper headset bearing press fit issue.

In my case, the fit on the bottom cup of the headset is too loose. Its nothing that I can detect while riding, but I can see movement of the headset cup when imputing forces through the fork. I don’t know if I will try to make a warranty claim or just ride it as is and see what develops. I guess you can say that I suffering from Niner warranty fatigue.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Wow...sounds like an ordeal.

I to was able to "squeeze" my JET 9 RDO downtube and feel/see compression. Kinda made me nervous, but given the thousands out there I chalked it up to "normal." Still...it was a light frame for a specific purpose in my mind and style of riding. I know others feel it was a trail bike if it wanted to be and I agree if your skill set accommodates it.

Sold the Jet of the same reasons you posted: Too racey, but I also had the wrong size.

Onto a blue RIP 9 RDO. Same headset issue. Dealer and Niner were great...went through two replacement frames to get the headset issue worked out and it has only been worked out in as much as the Niner Headset works. My Cane Creek does not. I tried both a CC40 and a CC110. I'd give a try with a Niner Headset if you want a more secure cup.

I dig Niner, but I feel like these issues with the Jet Cracks and the RIP Headset...I feel the fatigue too despite Niner doing good by me.

Now, that being said, I concur 100% that the RIP 9 RDO is a go to all day bike for both regular riding and the occasional 50mi race. While I'd take a Yeti ASR or even a Jet 9 RDO for 50s on a regular basis, the 2-3 I ride a year will be just great on my RIP 9. The bike rides light for me even without Carbon Hoops, having a dropper and the extra pound of carbon. So, for now, I'll be sticking with my RIP 9 RDO....hope it survives Fruita in May!!
    Last edited by WoodstockMTB; 03-16-2015 at 07:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by anderson76 View Post
    I wish I could say its all smooth sailing with the RIP 9. The fox shock on my frame had a non-functioning CTD.
    I just received a replacement frame. Old frame had an RP23. New one has a CTD - so I know very little about the shock. But it is very soft in the initial stroke and makes a squirting sound. How can I tell if the CTD is working or not? Should it be nearly locked out in "C" mode? I don't notice much of a difference between the lever positions.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My green Jet 9 RDO developed the same seat tube crack that my old black/ white one did. Niner assured me that all new frames are made in a new factory and the defect has been resolved. Not wanting to take my chances, I went with a RIP 9 RDO replacement and used it as an excuse to buy a Pike fork.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I did the exact same thing.

Carbon & Ti rule
    So how are you liking the Rip9 RDO.

My green Jet 9 RDO developed the same seat tube crack that my old black/ white one did. Niner assured me that all new frames are made in a new factory and the defect has been resolved. Not wanting to take my chances, I went with a RIP 9 RDO replacement and used it as an excuse to buy a Pike fork.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    So how are you liking the Rip9 RDO.
    Frame will be here on Saturday, Pike & Reverb on Tuesday. I was really torn whether to get the RIP or not. I loved the fast handling and didn't want to give it up. Unfortunately, my local trails are super rocky/ steep and have sections where the 100mm Jet 9 doesn't quite cut it. If 140mm is too much I can always lower the pike to 130 or even 120.

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Hello all..

I am now part of the group - noticed cracks on the seat tube of my Jet 9 RDO '13, came looking to any similar case and now I am very surprised to see many cases just like mine.

The bike is a rocket in marathon races, and I am very happy with it.

I just contacted the Niner Brazil and hope the warranty will be performed just like the US costumers got a new frame without hassles. Really hope for that.

Lets wait and I will post here the outcome.

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-imageedit_1_6736958965.jpg

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-img_5898_new_1.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-img_5898.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-img_5897-1-.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Bummer. Good luck. The bike is a rocket. I traded mine for a RIP, but might see if I can swing a Jet someday simply for marathon races.

mtbr member
    Good time to replace that worn out big ring while you're at it...

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    Good time to replace that worn out big ring while you're at it...

Good call! but its so hard and expensive to buy bike/ bike parts here in Brazil, that we use everything until there is really no way to keep going.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Add one more to the list...

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-2015-11-21-12.11.03.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bloaker View Post
    Add one more to the list...

Name:	2015-11-21 12.11.03.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	81.6 KB 
ID:	1030686
    Ouch... That one looks nasty....

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    At least I don't have to guess if it is just a paint crack... so I have that going for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Ouch... That one looks nasty....

mtbr member
    Hey Bloaker....
    Can you take a photo of the linkage under the BB from the non drive side?

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Acko View Post
    Hey Bloaker....
    Can you take a photo of the linkage under the BB from the non drive side?
    I can later, but not sure what you expect to see.
    No cracks, or even scrapes on it. only thing odd from that angle is the hairline crack in the paint that is even with the crack on the other side.

If I know specifically what you want to see, I can hopefully capture it.

mtbr member
    Wanted to see if your link is installed the right way around.... mate had his installed backwards and in a big bottom out, it contacted the frame, causing a similar crack

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    Ah... gotcha. This is how it was delivered to me, the linkage was never removed.

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-2015-11-25-07.14.05.jpg

mtbr member
    Nope... that's the correct way around so not the culprit in this case.
    Must have been an intersting combination of forces to crack yours where it did.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Mine cracked in the same spot within a month of me owning the bike. I'm a light rider and my trails are tame - I'm pretty sure I had a manufacturing defect. Niner said the had a rash of bad frames about two years (if I remember right) ago. The frame replacement has been solid for over two seasons.

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    CC and Niner have been great to deal with. Wish it didnt crack, but replacement coming soon.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast