Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Rider down under
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    All manufactures have frames that break. Don't let that be a deciding factor on choosing a bike. I have seen lots of broken giants, specialized, pivots, and a whole bunch of treks(probably the worst). Just look at other manufactures threads and search cracks.
    Agree 100%.
    It's how the manufacturer deals with the crack that's important.
    I have had a cracked alloy RIP9 which was dealt with efficiently and to my full satisfaction. (I'm a pretty big boy!)
    I also cracked a different boutique US frame well within the warranty period and the communications dragged out for many months and in the end I gave up.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

mtbr member

mtbr member
    May 2013

Niner Customer service was excellent

My 2013 rdo also cracked in the same place as others here (see photo). Niner replaced entire frame with new version with updated rear derailleur cable routing within a week or so. Every manufacturer will occasionally release a defective product but IMHO you really cant expect a company to stand behind the problem any better than niner has. If anything, my experience makes me more likely to recommend Niner.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-img_0812.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brettneu View Post
    My 2013 rdo also cracked in the same place as others here (see photo). Niner replaced entire frame with new version with updated rear derailleur cable routing within a week or so. Every manufacturer will occasionally release a defective product but IMHO you really cant expect a company to stand behind the problem any better than niner has. If anything, my experience makes me more likely to recommend Niner.
    You had your Jet RDO V1 replaced with the new V2?

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    You had your Jet RDO V1 replaced with the new V2?
    He had the original 2013 V2, which had cable routing the same as the 2012 RDO and carbon. They made a second V2 for 2013 that has the rear housing come out of the top if the downtube above the crankset.
    Last edited by quote; 06-05-2013 at 07:35 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    So both versions had the through axle and also the carbon rockers? My understanding is that the original Jet RDO when warrantied is being replaced with the Jet Carbon, and not the V2 (carbon rocker through axle).

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

So both versions had the through axle and also the carbon rockers? My understanding is that the original Jet RDO when warrantied is being replaced with the Jet Carbon, and not the V2 (carbon rocker through axle).
    Quickly after they released the newest RDO (which he had), they revised it a bit and changed the internal routing a bit to be like the RIP 9 RDO. There were probably only a few handful of the original 2013 JET9 RDOs with the complete internal housing.
    Last edited by quote; 06-05-2013 at 07:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    FWIW the newest Jet RDO has a rear through axle and carbon rockers. So his was replaced with the same, and the "newest" one revised the way the housing is routed (like the Rip RDO).
    Only reason I ask is because the original Jet RDO (no carbon rocker and no through axle) is being replaced (if warrantied) with the Jet Carbon.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

FWIW the newest Jet RDO has a rear through axle and carbon rockers. So his was replaced with the same, and the "newest" one revised the way the housing is routed (like the Rip RDO).
    Only reason I ask is because the original Jet RDO (no carbon rocker and no through axle) is being replaced (if warrantied) with the Jet Carbon.
    Yes.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by quote View Post
    Yes.
    Like he said... Exactly.
    Only thing is I see at least 2 other '13 RDOs locally with the same 'old' cable routing that the cracked frame had. Not sure how many were actually produced but I did have the frame on order from fall 2012. I was starting to have some shifting issues which is apparently quite common so I'm glad to have the new routing now.

mtbr member
    Are they replacing the entire frame or just the front triangle? I assume you get to keep the nicer shock if they exchange it for a J9C?

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Are they replacing the entire frame or just the front triangle? I assume you get to keep the nicer shock if they exchange it for a J9C?
    At least in my case, it was an entire new 2013 Jet RDO frame with shock.

mtbr member
    After corresponding with Niner through my LBS where frame was purchased, they offered me a choice of the original V1 RDO front triangle (previous version from my 2012 frame), or a complete Moondust 2013 Jet 9 Carbon frame.

I went with the Moondust, as I am hoping any QC issues have been worked out. I'm sorry, but there's no feasible explanation for the crack on my frame in that spot. It just SHOULD NOT happen.

If I somehow manage to crack the Moondust frame, its going on ebay, and I'll be replacing it with a Ripley. Crack on me once, shame on Niner, crack on me twice...

mtbr member
    Do you get an option to keep your shock? That's the only part of the swap that I would care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by mwandrusz View Post
    After corresponding with Niner through my LBS where frame was purchased, they offered me a choice of the original V1 RDO front triangle (previous version from my 2012 frame), or a complete Moondust 2013 Jet 9 Carbon frame.

I went with the Moondust, as I am hoping any QC issues have been worked out. I'm sorry, but there's no feasible explanation for the crack on my frame in that spot. It just SHOULD NOT happen.

If I somehow manage to crack the Moondust frame, its going on ebay, and I'll be replacing it with a Ripley. Crack on me once, shame on Niner, crack on me twice...

mtbr member
    the shock was not discussed. I guess I'll find out when I get the new frame.

I would imagine that since all possiblities of the cause of the crack have to be taken in to account, a flaw in the shock being one of them, they would include a new shock with the new frame.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Do you get an option to keep your shock? That's the only part of the swap that I would care about.
    I would be very interested to know this as well. I had to send my shock back to Fox to be worked on and it came back excellent. I also added the RWC needle bearings to it.

Frankly, I hope I never have to deal with this as I do actually like this frame a lot.

mtbr member
    I like it too besides that it has made me fat.

Jet 9 RDO or Jet 9 Carbon

Quote Originally Posted by slim2none View Post
    I would be very interested to know this as well. I had to send my shock back to Fox to be worked on and it came back excellent. I also added the RWC needle bearings to it.

Frankly, I hope I never have to deal with this as I do actually like this frame a lot.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Just ordered a 2013 Kermit frame despite these issues. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    It's gonna break right in half...lol...

I have no worries, my Yeti ASR5C should have broken right out of the gate according to everything I read about it. Rode it hard for 3 years with no issue.

The Jet9 is a rocket and it looks like Niner stands behind it. Get it and have a blast...

Quote Originally Posted by vtsteevo View Post
    Just ordered a 2013 Kermit frame despite these issues. Can't wait!

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    You get a new frame and a NEW CTD rear shock. Better than the Fox RP23 which I could not tell had propedal or not.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brettneu View Post
    Like he said... Exactly.
    Only thing is I see at least 2 other '13 RDOs locally with the same 'old' cable routing that the cracked frame had. Not sure how many were actually produced but I did have the frame on order from fall 2012. I was starting to have some shifting issues which is apparently quite common so I'm glad to have the new routing now.
    If you use the new full housing option the shifting woes are no longer, of course with the new design, no problem.

mtbr member
    And don't forget the cable ties in the downtube or the cable slap will drive you to drink...
    If you use the new full housing option the shifting woes are no longer, of course with the new design, no problem.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I did full housing outside the frame (following rear brake line and under lower rocker then into chainstay) on a new build so no real world experience with the intended design. So far, zero shifting issues whatsoever.

mtbr member
    You get a new frame and a NEW CTD rear shock. Better than the Fox RP23 which I could not tell had propedal or not.
    I had this same issue with my RP23 - no difference with pro-pedal on or off. Sent it back to Fox and explained to them what I wanted out of it. Came back a lot different and way better. I want nothing to do with the new CTD stuff.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast