Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Carbon & Ti rule
    My green Jet9 RDO isn't showing any signs of cracks.

I tend to try & ride all my bikes as much as I can, I still rate the Jet9 RDO as a very nice bike..

My wife still really likes her Jet9 RDO as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Is this crack down by the front der. mount also? Just curious was your bike a close out model (White, Tang)? Or is it the new green model? Muzz how has your green Jet 9 RDO held up so far? Or is it now collecting dust due to your new RIP RDO?
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Thought I would post regarding my cracked frame replacement. I was given the option of either a new Jet RDO or Rip RDO as a replacement. Since I already have another Jet RDO V1, I chose the option of the Rip RDO. Of course had to buy another seatpost and headset. I am looking forward to having two bikes to complement each other nicely and depending on my mood I can choose one or the other. I never questioned that Niner would stand behind their warranty. I was worried about the wait time, but they did exactly as I wanted.

Niner sent out the frame once they saw the pictures of my cracked seat tube no questions asked. From the time they were notified to the time I will receive the new frame will be just over a week.
    I am pleased with Niners resolution and their handling of this replacement in such a quick manner.

mtbr member
    An update. I cracked my Moondust Jet9 Carbon replacement in the same place my Jet9 RDO cracked earlier this spring. Happened at the Breck 100, but didn't affect performance. I was bummed, though. You do a hard race like that and you build a bond with the machine that gets you through it. Sentimentality creeps into the equation.

The upside is Niner replaced my Moondust with a black 2013 RDO (carbon rockers, 142 rear). It is a gorgeous bike. I'm hoping they've solved the problem in this run of frames, because while I think the Jet9 RDO handles great, I do list "durability" highly among the things I look for when building a bike. I want to care about the bike and be excited about pushing it to its limits (and vice versa). Maybe it's too soon to expect that out of any carbon frame, I don't know.

But, I do think Niner is going the extra mile, and I appreciate the work they're doing to make it right (along with the shop). They gave me an upgraded frame even though I bought a discounted closeout. That's good stuff.

Also, Chris at Big Kahuna Bikes in Littleton CO is a great guy and has been very helpful the whole way through. Buy stuff from him.

mtbr member
    DLine -

Did your new frame come with red anodized cage bolts? Now on my 3rd frame due to the warranty issues and this is the only discernible difference between the replacement I received last week and the one I got 6 weeks ago. Both are green v2 RDO's and both had the updated cable routing. I am wondering if they are using that as a marker to determine runs, or if it's just a nice touch they've added to the latest frames going out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    DLine, giving you a new updated frame is really really outstanding on Niner's part. Instead of going one mile with customers this is like going two miles for them. I appreciate that and it is nice to know. Thanks for sharing.

mtbr member
    I'm still waiting for word back from Niner on my cracked frame, but the last few updates in this thread have me feeling pretty good about Niner's CS. I had been loving this bike on the rides I have been able to get in down in Austin, and I was eager to get back out on my old stomping ground trails out here in the Bay Area where I think this bike will really fly.

I'm still not able to see any of the pictures from this thread. Anybody else having this issue?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I dove head first into the Niner pool. An air9 RDO for me, and a EMD 9 for my daughter. Niner RDO bars and post to complete the builds. After a season of riding and racing, I decided to listen to my back and take a look at going FS. My first choice was the jet 9 RDO. After reading through all these threads, I think I'll be looking somewhere else. Summer is short and my riding time is not easy to come by. Seems as though too many Niner customer's have had issues that had to be resolved by warranty returns. Cracked frames (both carbon and aluminum), creaking/slipping EBB's, and poor cable routing are a few that I can recall. I just don't have time to be their guinea pig.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by ANYRIDE View Post
    I dove head first into the Niner pool. An air9 RDO for me, and a EMD 9 for my daughter. Niner RDO bars and post to complete the builds. After a season of riding and racing, I decided to listen to my back and take a look at going FS. My first choice was the jet 9 RDO. After reading through all these threads, I think I'll be looking somewhere else. Summer is short and my riding time is not easy to come by. Seems as though too many Niner customer's have had issues that had to be resolved by warranty returns. Cracked frames (both carbon and aluminum), creaking/slipping EBB's, and poor cable routing are a few that I can recall. I just don't have time to be their guinea pig.
    That is the problem with threads like this..

You're listening to the minority.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    That is the problem with threads like this..

You're listening to the minority.
    Yep I agree.
    I have a 6 Berth Motorhome that I rent out . It is based in Tauranga, New Zealand

MTB B'dos
    BS, just like the minority of people who had broken JET9s back in o9 right There are people in this thread who are on their 3rd frame over a time frame of over a half year, if that doesn't say something to you, then BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, enjoy niners grass.

That is the problem with threads like this...You're listening to the minority.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by LyNx View Post
    BS, just like the minority of people who had broken JET9s back in o9 right There are people in this thread who are on their 3rd frame over a time frame of over a half year, if that doesn't say something to you, then BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA, enjoy niners grass.
    And I have 3 Niners with no issues.. But I'll just ignore that. My opinion doesn't count I suppose.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think that you are looking at this the wrong way. For sure when a frame breaks or needs to have warranty work it sucks. But to say that they don't do any testing and use customers as guinea pigs is pretty ignorant. For sure Niner used to have a lot of small issues but when you have a newer and growing company that is based on pushing the limits of both wheel size and technology then you are bound to have something pop up now and then.

They made Jet9 RDO frames for over a year before they had this issue. That seems like a manufacturing issue, not a design problem. I have a friend that test rides for them and he has had his jet rdo for over 2 years now. That means that they were testing frames well before the launch. He also tested EBB designs for them, he said they went through many different iterations before releasing it. And now people only talk about how awesome the EBB is.

And why is everyone getting hung up on the 1% number. That was at the beginning of the thread almost 4 months ago. I'd bet that they looked at the issue then and posted based on info they had. I bet they have since reevaluated the situation and made changes accordingly. Sure, I would also like to know that info but as a forum monger I guess I really cant say that they have the obligation to disclose that info to me(us). I bet that this issue goes away soon too, the frames that do break seem to break pretty early, so there are not a bunch of them out there that will break in the future. I think that it would take about 4 months to find an issue, resolve it, manufacture it, and ship it to customers. So to all you that do have issues there probably wont be much to talk about soon except for how awesomely you were treated by Niner. I have always had really fast communication with them. The few times I did not get a reply from Niner was when I was working with a bad dealer that threw them under the bus when it turned out that the dealer was the one at fault.

All companies have issues, Niner seems to be one of the better ones. Now lets all go ride our bikes.

Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

MTB B'dos
    So you have 3 of the same frame/bike that this thread is about and they're all working fine? If that's not the case then your point is IRRELEVANT, this discussion is about 1 frame and the failures people are experiencing with it, MULTIPLE times per person.

And I have 3 Niners with no issues.. But I'll just ignore that. My opinion doesn't count I suppose.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Lynx I have been riding Jet9 RDO's almost longer than anyone.

My 1st one is still going strong, As is the later one.

I have also built up 5 others for people.

Yes there are people having some problems & yes some have had it happen more than once.

The problem didn't happen to the bikes that were made in the 1st year, So I would think that because the out side shape of the bikes is the same & the people that are having the problem get it all but straight away, It is something that has changed in the making of the frames & easy to work out how to fix it.

It is not good for the people that have had frames crack for sure, But that is why company's have warranty's.

Man you should see what goes on in the car industry, I have seen cars with 15+ warranty claims before the car is even sold.

You would be crap at car racing, Because you want everything to never brake you would be driving a slow tank !!!! Hang on that's what you have ended up doing with your bike.

mtbr member
    So you have 3 of the same frame/bike that this thread is about and they're all working fine? If that's not the case then your point is IRRELEVANT, this discussion is about 1 frame and the failures people are experiencing with it, MULTIPLE times per person.
    Ok, fair enough, but that would make your point about Jets in 09 IRRELEVANT as well, correct?

I have 1 J9RDO, and my friend has 1.. both with ZERO issues. I'm saying that there are many more out there that are perfectly happy with their bike, yet a relatively small group are experiencing issues. Making a decision based on a thread full of one side, isn't how you make an educated decision. I'm not downplaying their pain, or their issues. I even said awhile back that if I were them, I'd probably get my replacement, sell it, and move on to another brand.

Do you have a Jet9RDO?

I will enjoy Niner's grass, as I've had great experience with them. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just stating facts for me and 3 of my friends. We all bought last fall around this time when there was great Labor day sales going on at many places. 3 complete bikes and 1 frame purchase, so 4 frames total amongst 4 of us. Of the 4, 3 are on warranty replacements with mine on the second warranty replacement. I had a cracked bottom bracket, and the replacement for it had a cracked seat tube.
    Congratulations to anyone that has had ZERO issues. For what it is worth, I bought a second one in December (the close out prices were too good to pass up!!!) as a 2nd NICE bike and it has been going strong and has kept me from having any down time. I have ridden it plenty of times and feel like it is well past pre-mature death rate that many frames have experienced. You can see my previous posts regarding how Niner handled the warranty replacements. I am quite happy with their replacement/warranty, etc., but it still has taken time and money and been somewhat frustrating.
    For anyone to act as though this is a very small percentage or just a handful of issues is non-sense. I do think that Niner probably has a handle on it and they are handling the issues well, but there have been quite a few of them. Not everyone works on their own bikes, has the time or skills, so to always have to rely on a shop or whatever can become very frustrating. I do all my own work so it is not that big of a deal to me.
    Will I continue to buy and support Niner........YES, I know of no better bike or company. The bikes ride too damn good to give up on them and they stand behind what they sell and do the right thing!

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Just stating facts for me and 3 of my friends. We all bought last fall around this time when there was great Labor day sales going on at many places. 3 complete bikes and 1 frame purchase, so 4 frames total amongst 4 of us. Of the 4, 3 are on warranty replacements with mine on the second warranty replacement. I had a cracked bottom bracket, and the replacement for it had a cracked seat tube.
    Congratulations to anyone that has had ZERO issues. For what it is worth, I bought a second one in December (the close out prices were too good to pass up!!!) as a 2nd NICE bike and it has been going strong and has kept me from having any down time. I have ridden it plenty of times and feel like it is well past pre-mature death rate that many frames have experienced. You can see my previous posts regarding how Niner handled the warranty replacements. I am quite happy with their replacement/warranty, etc., but it still has taken time and money and been somewhat frustrating.
    For anyone to act as though this is a very small percentage or just a handful of issues is non-sense. I do think that Niner probably has a handle on it and they are handling the issues well, but there have been quite a few of them. Not everyone works on their own bikes, has the time or skills, so to always have to rely on a shop or whatever can become very frustrating. I do all my own work so it is not that big of a deal to me.
    Will I continue to buy and support Niner........YES, I know of no better bike or company. The bikes ride too damn good to give up on them and they stand behind what they sell and do the right thing!
    Ok, last time, since you're clearly responding to me.

I understand that your experience with your friends represents the facts that 75% of your bikes are on replacement. Noted.

The only way you, or I can confidently say it's a small, or large %, is only if either of us knew the total amount of sales on this bike, and how many total failures. Lets agree that neither of us know that. So it's not non-sense, just as if thinking that there is a 75% failure rate among these bikes.

My direct experience is that 2 of 2 bikes have no issues here.

"Quite a few", and "Relatively small amount" could be the same number based on how many bikes were sold.

I'm simply saying that I keep seeing people act as if it's a huge problem, but not considering how many are not having a problem. Both saying it's a small %, or a huge %.. We're both wrong, because we both don't know.

Anyway, whatever.. I'm out. I'll just call it a 90% failure rate, everyone will be happy, and ill go ride my bike.

Sorry for everyone who is experiencing problems.. It sucks. Later.

MTB B'dos
    Ah Muzz, again you try try to turn the tables and make me look silly and again I'll give my story - my Prime is pre-production, I thought it would be very cool to hop on board the testing phase of a bike, as such I have a frame that is 1.5lbs heavier than the production model, so yes it's a bit hefty, drop that 1.5lbs and I still have a 32.5lb bike that I'd be willing to take down anywhere if I had the cahones to do so and not worry about it breaking - Can you say the same?

As to your car analogies you keep going back to, please! You are talking racing car and parts, just like those weight weenie fools who ride bikes, you know you take risks using those sorts of parts. Someone like you almost cost my brother his life, by redesigning and not testing a part that was then bolted onto his rally car, which was made too hard and as such could not handle the rough roads and snapped in an off camber corner while he was doing 90mph, he flipped and rolled about 13 times, luckily whom ever built the roll cage knew what they were doing.

Niner is the same way and I'd bet the house on the fact that according to some genius there the first runs of the RDO were "heavy" and as such, without proper testing layers of layup were removed where they thought it wouldn't make a difference, but it did. Just because you have the fancy software to design bikes, doesn't mean you should, it is designed for people who have studied for years and who have the proper understanding of materials, loads etc, etc

FYI, when I do get to NZ, I will happily go ride with you AND wait for you while you slowly roll up the climbs behind me on you weight weenie bikes, then at the bottom I'll do the same
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Lynx I have been riding Jet9 RDO's almost longer than anyone.

My 1st one is still going strong, As is the later one.

I have also built up 5 others for people.

Yes there are people having some problems & yes some have had it happen more than once.

The problem didn't happen to the bikes that were made in the 1st year, So I would think that because the out side shape of the bikes is the same & the people that are having the problem get it all but straight away, It is something that has changed in the making of the frames & easy to work out how to fix it.

It is not good for the people that have had frames crack for sure, But that is why company's have warranty's.

Man you should see what goes on in the car industry, I have seen cars with 15+ warranty claims before the car is even sold.

You would be crap at car racing, Because you want everything to never brake you would be driving a slow tank !!!! Hang on that's what you have ended up doing with your bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm on my second season with a first-generation Jet 9 RDO. I feel like the bike comes with a bit of a learning curve: the first cable routing was horrible, the "fix" wasn't much better as the ferrules failed, now it's excellent with continuous housing, I lost a pivot bolt (then Niner raised the torque spec...), the upper DU bushing wore out very quickly so I replaced with needle bearings, the BB shell doesn't play well with the adapter I hoped to use, and on and on...then I had to warranty the rear triangle (handled very promptly by Niner...)

At some points I thought this was all a bit ridiculous. Coming from a metal hardtail I wasn't really planning on my dream bike being such a high-maintenance princess. I didn't think I'd be on an mtbr manufacturer forum everyday in search of fixes to nagging issues. But the more I ask around, it seems this kind of thing simply comes with the territory when you buy a high performance complicated frame like this. Just the other day I was reading a review of an Ibis Ripley -- a bike I'm really interested in -- and they mentioned how the headtube cable housing was sawing into the fork's steerer! Ibis supplied some kind of steerer tube shield as a "fix." Yikes.

The Jet9 is a fantastic ride that requires a pretty "involved" owner. Just yesterday a local shop was asking if I'd be interested in using a demo bike from another manufacturer for next season - basically a free bike for the year -- and I can't see me doing it when I've got a Jet9 in the basement.

Hopefully the genuine manufacturing defects have been worked out though. I noticed Niner's using manufacturers in Vietnam now. Maybe this is good.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I'm on my second season with a first-generation Jet 9 RDO. I feel like the bike comes with a bit of a learning curve: the first cable routing was horrible, the "fix" wasn't much better as the ferrules failed, now it's excellent with continuous housing, I lost a pivot bolt (then Niner raised the torque spec...), the upper DU bushing wore out very quickly so I replaced with needle bearings, the BB shell doesn't play well with the adapter I hoped to use, and on and on...then I had to warranty the rear triangle (handled very promptly by Niner...)

At some points I thought this was all a bit ridiculous. Coming from a metal hardtail I wasn't really planning on my dream bike being such a high-maintenance princess. I didn't think I'd be on an mtbr manufacturer forum everyday in search of fixes to nagging issues. But the more I ask around, it seems this kind of thing simply comes with the territory when you buy a high performance complicated frame like this. Just the other day I was reading a review of an Ibis Ripley -- a bike I'm really interested in -- and they mentioned how the headtube cable housing was sawing into the fork's steerer! Ibis supplied some kind of steerer tube shield as a "fix." Yikes.

The Jet9 is a fantastic ride that requires a pretty "involved" owner. Just yesterday a local shop was asking if I'd be interested in using a demo bike from another manufacturer for next season - basically a free bike for the year -- and I can't see me doing it when I've got a Jet9 in the basement.

Hopefully the genuine manufacturing defects have been worked out though. I noticed Niner's using manufacturers in Vietnam now. Maybe this is good.
    I'm also into second season over 2400 miles and the bike has been great. Yes, the shifting issue has finally been resolved with the full housing other then that I have some play developing in the upper pivot bearings, which are wearable parts.
    If I was in the market for a new frame right now I'd go back with niner. How do you tell the 1st from the 2nd generation?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ok, last time, since you're clearly responding to me.

I understand that your experience with your friends represents the facts that 75% of your bikes are on replacement. Noted.

The only way you, or I can confidently say it's a small, or large %, is only if either of us knew the total amount of sales on this bike, and how many total failures. Lets agree that neither of us know that. So it's not non-sense, just as if thinking that there is a 75% failure rate among these bikes.

My direct experience is that 2 of 2 bikes have no issues here.

"Quite a few", and "Relatively small amount" could be the same number based on how many bikes were sold.

I'm simply saying that I keep seeing people act as if it's a huge problem, but not considering how many are not having a problem. Both saying it's a small %, or a huge %.. We're both wrong, because we both don't know.

Anyway, whatever.. I'm out. I'll just call it a 90% failure rate, everyone will be happy, and ill go ride my bike.

Sorry for everyone who is experiencing problems.. It sucks. Later.
    Not just you, but anyone that thinks it is a small percentage or not much of a problem. The LARGE online dealer I bought from used the term "flooded with warranty returns" that Niner is experiencing.

I do think Niner will have a handle on things quickly (if not already) and they are definitely standing behind their warranty. I am quite happy (even though I had to shell out more dough) with my warranty replacement. If I had scraped and skimped to buy my dream bike and I did not have the time, tools, or know how to dis-assemble and re-build all of my bikes I would not be so happy.

aka bOb
    If anyone thinks this is a small percentage of frames affected IMHO they are wrong. As of right now even though my frame isn't cracked yet it has a net worth of about zilch on the secondary market.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bdundee View Post
    If anyone thinks this is a small percentage of frames affected IMHO they are wrong. As of right now even though my frame isn't cracked yet it has a net worth of about zilch on the secondary market.
    Kind of like all high end carbon bikes....

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I noticed Niner's using manufacturers in Vietnam now. Maybe this is good.
    Not really. Vietnam living conditions is like Guatemala. Would you trust a barely-educated kid to lay prepeg UD strips without voids, effectively?
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

aka bOb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Not really I sell high end carbon all the time when I tired of them, good thing this is an awesome riding bike otherwise I might be upset.

mtbr member
    Looks like Niner is going to take care of me on this cracked frame. They gave me the option of a new Carbon or the newer upgraded RDO in my color choice. The option was offered to make the transition of my 135mm rear hub spacing a simple parts swap. I run Hadley hubs and had the 142x12 conversion on hand so I decided to go the new J9RDO route. Niner mentioned over the phone that they had done some substantial modifications to this area of the frame, and based on the length of this thread alone, I see no reason this would not be the case. Niner CS have been awesome with everything so far. The frame was shipped out to my LBS from L.A. a couple of days ago, so hopefully I should have it in my hands today and I can rebuild it tonight for my weekend rides. I can't wait! I love this frame, and based on my interactions with Niner, I would definitely be looking at their offerings first on my next bike/frame purchase.

mtbr member
    This is sort of a side note, but I was also wondering about keeping the RP23 shock in place of the new CTD. Does anybody have any ride experience with both on this frame and can offer suggestions?

mtbr member
    Not really I sell high end carbon all the time when I tired of them, good thing this is an awesome riding bike otherwise I might be upset.
    You must be a better salesman than me which seems weird considering that I am a highly successful salesman...

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    This is sort of a side note, but I was also wondering about keeping the RP23 shock in place of the new CTD. Does anybody have any ride experience with both on this frame and can offer suggestions?
    My RP23's pro-pedal does not seem to do anything which is a common complaint. Fox will fix if you send to them which I intend to do. I do think the RP23 seems plusher than the CTD which was on my Jet Carbon, but mine did not have the Kashima coating (if that matters). Personally I would rather have two switches, regular and basically close to locked out (Propedal) Having the 3 positions is a little too much trouble.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I would kindly disagree with you. Not all high end carbon bikes are worth nothing in resale. When I sold my Tallboy Carbon last November it sold on Ebay for $200 over what I paid for it! I do take care of all my bikes and it looked great. But I also know others who have sold their Tallboys and LTc's after a season of use and either got what they paid or lost a few hundred but it wasn't a significant hit.

mtbr member
    I would kindly disagree with you. Not all high end carbon bikes are worth nothing in resale. When I sold my Tallboy Carbon last November it sold on Ebay for $200 over what I paid for it! I do take care of all my bikes and it looked great. But I also know others who have sold their Tallboys and LTc's after a season of use and either got what they paid or lost a few hundred but it wasn't a significant hit.
    Freak, I sold my ASR5 Carbon for a fraction of what I paid for it but I actually ride my bikes and it shows....

aka bOb
    Freak, I sold my ASR5 Carbon for a fraction of what I paid for it but I actually ride my bikes and it shows....
    Right now I have about 5 miles on my RDO and not sure if I will ever be able to ride it again or not and in all good faith I can not sell it. So yes it would've been worth something. Ok sorry back to topic.

mtbr member
    Right now I have about 5 miles on my RDO and not sure if I will ever be able to ride it again or not and in all good faith I can not sell it. So yes it would've been worth something. Ok sorry back to topic.
    Maybe you thought I was calling you a freak but I meant "freak" like in "EF"...

ANYWAYS, THANKS FOR THE NEGATIVE REP!!!!!!!!

aka bOb
    Maybe you thought I was calling you a freak but I meant "freak" like in "EF"...

ANYWAYS, THANKS FOR THE NEGATIVE REP!!!!!!!!
    You where a troll from my first post, ya had it coming.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ah Muzz, again you try try to turn the tables and make me look silly and again I'll give my story - my Prime is pre-production, I thought it would be very cool to hop on board the testing phase of a bike, as such I have a frame that is 1.5lbs heavier than the production model, so yes it's a bit hefty, drop that 1.5lbs and I still have a 32.5lb bike that I'd be willing to take down anywhere if I had the cahones to do so and not worry about it breaking - Can you say the same?

As to your car analogies you keep going back to, please! You are talking racing car and parts, just like those weight weenie fools who ride bikes, you know you take risks using those sorts of parts. Someone like you almost cost my brother his life, by redesigning and not testing a part that was then bolted onto his rally car, which was made too hard and as such could not handle the rough roads and snapped in an off camber corner while he was doing 90mph, he flipped and rolled about 13 times, luckily whom ever built the roll cage knew what they were doing.
    I have seen that type of crash many times, He throw the car into the camber of the road & the car tipped over. At no time did the car twitch before it started to roll. I have co driven for a lot of guys & one of them made that mistake 3 times with me in the car, So I have some inside knowledge on That sort of crash.

Niner is the same way and I'd bet the house on the fact that according to some genius there the first runs of the RDO were "heavy" and as such, without proper testing layers of layup were removed where they thought it wouldn't make a difference, but it did. Just because you have the fancy software to design bikes, doesn't mean you should, it is designed for people who have studied for years and who have the proper understanding of materials, loads etc, etc

FYI, when I do get to NZ, I will happily go ride with you AND wait for you while you slowly roll up the climbs behind me on you weight weenie bikes, then at the bottom I'll do the same
    You do realize we have drops bigger than 12 inch's right.

I would love to take you on some of our trail, You might be surprised just how fast a 26 lb Rip9 RDO is.

MTB B'dos
    Yup, would love to ride trails with that sort of stuff, but we don't have it, if we do have anything bigger than that it's not got a decent enough approach and is rolled or dropped, but I'm working on incorporating some of that into some new trails I'll be building.

As to the speed of the bike, remember that despite him being a cheat a great athlete said it best, "It's not about the bike" Only thing I'd ask you to do to "even" the playing field is run "normal" Stans rim based wheels like I would be
    You do realize we have drops bigger than 12 inch's right.

I would love to take you on some of our trail, You might be surprised just how fast a 26 lb Rip9 RDO is.

Carbon & Ti rule
    LyNx;10641895]Yup, would love to ride trails with that sort of stuff, but we don't have it, if we do have anything bigger than that it's not got a decent enough approach and is rolled or dropped, but I'm working on incorporating some of that into some new trails I'll be building.
    Yes we are a bit lucky over here, there is just so many great trails within an hours drive of my gate, We just drive past trails that some people would love to have in there home town.

I don't claim to have even done a 1/3 of them yet, there is just so many.

As to the speed of the bike, remember that despite him being a cheat a great athlete said it best, "It's not about the bike"
    If it's not about the bike why would you want me to down tune mine

Only thing I'd ask you to do to "even" the playing field is run "normal" Stans rim based wheels like I would be
    Maybe I could just lend you the wheels off my wife's bike.

You would have that much fun your biggest worry's would if you go back & do the same trail again or move on to another 1.

Biking up & doing the down hill runs in the dark is also lots of fun ( Well with our 3600 lumen lights it's not really dark )

MTB B'dos
    Not about the bike, but definitely about the wheels and I know what wheels you have you lucky SOB. Never know, might be before I ever get there I'll get myself a nice set of carbon hoops.
    .......If it's not about the bike why would you want me to down tune mine Maybe I could just lend you the wheels off my wife's bike.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Not about the bike, but definitely about the wheels and I know what wheels you have you lucky SOB. Never know, might be before I ever get there I'll get myself a nice set of carbon hoops.
    For what it's worth if you did come over We wont be biking up any big hill wasting out time, There just wont be enough time for that,

We will catch the bus to the top & spend all the time we can on the really cool tracks, No point coming here & doing what you can do at home.

It would cost to much to ship your bike over, I could just buy another bike you could ride if I didn't have anything at the time.

MTB B'dos
    Unless it's road you're talking, I love to ride, climb or descend, just once it's not road and even then 5 miles or so to the trails isn't anything to me, could still hit 15-20 miles of trail easily Loved doing that in CO - 5 miles to the trail head, then think it was about 15 out and back on the trail and then cruise the 5 miles DH on the road.

For what it's worth if you did come over We wont be biking up any big hill wasting out time, There just wont be enough time for that,we will catch the bus to the top & spend all the time we can on the really cool tracks, No point coming here & doing what you can do at home.
    You'd do anything to try and get pics of me on a Niner to post up here, wouldn't you If this ever happens, I'd some how imagine a nice, shiny, brand spanking new Banshee would be meeting me there
    It would cost to much to ship your bike over, I could just buy another bike you could ride if I didn't have anything at the time.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Unless it's road you're talking, I love to ride, climb or descend, just once it's not road and even then 5 miles or so to the trails isn't anything to me, could still hit 15-20 miles of trail easily Loved doing that in CO - 5 miles to the trail head, then think it was about 15 out and back on the trail and then cruise the 5 miles DH on the road.
    I don't mind climbing either, I have the right bike for it. But when you go somewhere that you just will not get to ride all the trails, Why ride up hill for an hour when you can fit much more trails in a day going down.

I do mostly climbing when doing all our night rides, So when I go out of town I just do what is the most fun.

We are just so lucky over here we just have so much to choose from & every time you stop & talk to someone new you find out about more trails you didn't know about.

Some of the guys around here that build trails really know what they are doing & they are a real joy to ride.

You'd do anything to try and get pics of me on a Niner to post up here, wouldn't you If this ever happens, I'd some how imagine a nice, shiny, brand spanking new Banshee would be meeting me there ;
    Each to there own poison.

You could just strip your bike & bring your frame, I have more then enough parts sitting around to build it bake up to at least as good as you have it now.

You never know it might happen.

A few months ago there was a guy from Ausy over here on holiday & was going to be in Rotorua & rang the Niner dealer to ask about bikes, The long & the short of it we met up with him & he had turns out riding our bikes & got to ride in the Redwoods & It just toped off his holiday.

He ordered a Rip9 RDO at the end of the day so it was kind of a cool day out.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    looks like my frame is cracked also. This sucks as my LBS went out of business and the next dealer is almost 2 hours away. I left a message with the warranty guy at Niner yesterday so we will see what happens. To bad they don't make the color I designed my build around. Everything is either white or red.

Are you a road biker that likes hills? Try this Michigan Mountain Mayhem.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Curious to know: How can you tell if this is an actual crack in the frame vs. a crack in the clear/paint or just a scratch? Is it because of location similar to where others have reported?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    It is not a scratch that is for sure as far as a crack in the frame vs clear coat/paint I have no idea how to tell. It is in the same place as the others and this is what Niner said on page 1 ("We have identified an isolated manufacturing error in the seat tube of some carbon Jet frames. The issue (a fold in the carbon fabric that should not be there) is specific to a small percentage of stock from the last year's production.") I hate to assume but that is what I am doing. When I hear from Niner and what they say I will post back.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-jet9rdocrack.jpg

Looks like I have a crack on the swing arm of my RDO . I had it in at our local Niner dealer getting an XX1 upgrade installed and they found it and sent me this pic. I check my frame pretty regularly but completely missed this so glad that the dealer was so thorough. They are going to contact Niner tomorrow so we'll see what happens.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I picked up my new frame yesterday. Niner was super easy to deal with, they let me email everything to the dealer and do most of the stuff over the phone. When the frame came in I drove to the dealer and traded frames. They also let me upgrade to the green RDO for $349.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    That is some news Fred and good to hear that Niner is all over it. Well you will have a new frame with a 12X142 axle too. Hey are you in Michigan? I just moved to SW Michigan (Berrien Springs) and I'm looking for a good Niner dealer in the area that I can trust. Who would you recommend if you live in the area? I'm willing to drive to Chicago if you say that is best. A shop with good mechs that are familiar with Jet 9 RDO internal routing system.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I live in Boyne City. I got the bike from Paintcreek in Lake Orion and Keith was great to deal with. Due to distance I had City Bike shop in Traverse city do the warranty swap and they were also very easy and knowledgeable. You can't go wrong with either one.

Are you coming up for Iceman?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Wow, you live way up north there. I was just told to check out a couple of Niner shop in Grand Rapids, which is only an hour from where I am at. What is the Iceman, I'm not familiar with it?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wow, you live way up north there. I was just told to check out a couple of Niner shop in Grand Rapids, which is only an hour from where I am at. What is the Iceman, I'm not familiar with it?
    Where did you move from Antartica?..... Just kidding, The iceman is one of the biggest if not the biggest single day mountain bike races there is. This year it sold out over 5000 riders in 32 minutes. The finish line party will have over 10,000 people. Here is the website. Iceman Cometh Challenge Bicycle Race

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Cool thanks, that is a huge race with some nice prizes...

banned
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Camaleon View Post
    There's a lesson to be learned here.
    Don't ever have only one bike in your garage that way if one breaks you just ride the other one.
    It really sucks to have one broken bike and not being able to ride.
    $300 to upgrade to a RIP 9 RDO sounds like a good deal with the extra goodies however it sure is inconvenient.
    /\ This... I am sitting with a Jet Alloy and a WFO, I'm a big boy at 240 and 6'5" and I have literally ridden the crap out of them since 2010... no alloy frame failures for me on the hydroformed aluminum stuff. I've rebuilt the shock bushings 6x, top and bottom, on the RP23 on the WFO, got rid of the Boost Valved Fox RP23, and the WFO is just the Timex of bikes in my lineup. Simply a great 140mm travel trail bike. Niner has been good to me, and I'm not even fast enough to put their bikes in the winners circle. I know I will eventually crack any aluminum frame, being a big guy with long legs and a lot of torque on tap, but so far... knock on wood, my frames are not developing cracks, yet. And I have no doubt the Carbon RIP will hold up great as a trail bike, just don't start using it with a daily diet of shuttle runs at the bike park, or go big air.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I just tested out the New RDO after the rebuild with a new XX1 drivetrain and am soooo happy. Niner made this very easy and quick.

here are the before and after pictures.

Before the crack

and after

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jet9RDOCrack.jpg 
Views:	847 
Size:	79.9 KB 
ID:	836534

Looks like I have a crack on the swing arm of my RDO . I had it in at our local Niner dealer getting an XX1 upgrade installed and they found it and sent me this pic. I check my frame pretty regularly but completely missed this so glad that the dealer was so thorough. They are going to contact Niner tomorrow so we'll see what happens.
    Just heard back from the dealer and Niner. Niner is going to send out a new rear triangle. It will be the exact same one that came on my original Jet 9 RDO (135mm axle) and hopefully I'll be back riding soon.

The dealer did ask if Niner would offer a discounted upgrade to the new Jet 9 RDO frame but Niner would not offer it below full retail. Obviously I would have loved to upgrade, both to get the larger 142 rear TA but also to be to internally route my cables without problems, but to be fair Niner is taking care of my problem.

Hopefully I don't get any more cracks. There seem to be more and more reports of riders with 1st gen Jet 9 RDO's reporting cracks.
    Last edited by Kuttermax; 10-12-2013 at 07:41 PM.

mtbr member
    Half of your fork is missing.....

You may have already noticed that but I wouldn't ride it until it gets fixed...
    Quote Originally Posted by "Fred" View Post
    I just tested out the New RDO after the rebuild with a new XX1 drivetrain and am soooo happy. Niner made this very easy and quick.

here are the before and after pictures.

Before the crack

and after

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I bought two Jet9 RDO's in December, one Black and one White, so far they are both going strong, and are great bikes. Hopefully that continues as I ride each of them at least once a week, but I must say this thread has made me a little concerned.

mtbr member
    Don't be concerned, just go ride your bike. I ride mine about 4 days a week and never think about it breaking....
    Quote Originally Posted by gsxr28 View Post
    I bought two Jet9 RDO's in December, one Black and one White, so far they are both going strong, and are great bikes. Hopefully that continues as I ride each of them at least once a week, but I must say this thread has made me a little concerned.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    I'm just glad I checked this forum. I was about to bid on a Jet9 carbon on Ebay, I've changed my mind.
    Good luck to you guys, at least it sounds like Niner is cooperating.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by jwhan View Post
    I'm just glad I checked this forum. I was about to bid on a Jet9 carbon on Ebay, I've changed my mind.
    Good luck to you guys, at least it sounds like Niner is cooperating.
    Surely you don't think Niner is the only one with cracked frames. As long as you don't buy a trek, giant, specialized, pivot, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, or any other bike manufacturer you should be ok.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Surely you don't think Niner is the only one with cracked frames. As long as you don't buy a trek, giant, specialized, pivot, Santa Cruz, Rocky Mountain, or any other bike manufacturer you should be ok.
    I don't have anything against niner's, I just think I'll stick with titanium or aluminum.
    I know they break too, just not as often.

MTB B'dos
    No, but he'd be bidding on a frame becoming the 2nd or more owner, hence no warranty and with this problem being, well prevalent, who could blame him for not wanting to buy it, find and crack and be SOL. Probably is a warranty frame from one of the people who've had multiple cracked frames and have given up on Niner.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

No, but he'd be bidding on a frame becoming the 2nd or more owner, hence no warranty and with this problem being, well prevalent, who could blame him for not wanting to buy it, find and crack and be SOL. Probably is a warranty frame from one of the people who've had multiple cracked frames and have given up on Niner.
    That goes the same for any 2nd hand frame you buy on ebay. No warranty.

MTB B'dos
    Yes, but buying a frame that has no warranty and known to crack is just plain stupid and the point being made.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Yes, but buying a frame that has no warranty and known to crack is just plain stupid and the point being made.
    This argument will go on and on, go find a bike you enjoy and go ride.

Elitest thrill junkie
    Not these ones:

2-year frame warranty ::.
    Turner will repair or replace any Turner frame, Only if we determine it to be defective due to materials and /or workmanship. This 2 year warranty applies to the frameset Only (not including suspension components), ridden under normal conditions, properly maintained and is transferable to subsequent owners with original sales receipt.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by Jayem View Post
    Not these ones:
    Interesting transferable. Really like their czar.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Cracked frame reporting in. Hopefully competitive cyclist will give me a 2013 RDO. They said they'd ship a replacement out of their current stock.

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-2013-10-19-11.36.13.jpg

mtbr member
    That looks like it took a big hit by something.
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    Cracked frame reporting in. Hopefully competitive cyclist will give me a 2013 RDO. They said they'd ship a replacement out of their current stock.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-10-19 11.36.13.jpg 
Views:	490 
Size:	69.6 KB 
ID:	840232

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Theres also a hair line crack where the sharp corner is to the right. Pretty sure I would have noticed if something hit it and caused that much damage. My LBS also said they've seen one other frame with a crack in the same area.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    After talking to niner, they claimed to have changed the layup to reinforce that area. I should be getting a new RDO at no extra charge. Shipped back the old frame today.

mtbr member
    Bummer that it want be the same color, I like the Vanilla.
    After talking to niner, they claimed to have changed the layup to reinforce that area. I should be getting a new RDO at no extra charge. Shipped back the old frame today.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I am seriously considering a new 2012 Jet 9 RDO frame at a great price from a registered niner dealer. Are these cracks isolated to the 2012 models? Also, what are the differences between the 2013 and 2012 models.
    Thanks

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by scolli View Post
    I am seriously considering a new 2012 Jet 9 RDO frame at a great price from a registered niner dealer. Are these cracks isolated to the 2012 models? Also, what are the differences between the 2013 and 2012 models.
    Thanks
    cracks seem to be more the 13 models.

The 13 has carbon rockers, 142x 12 Thru Axle & a different shock ( I like the shock on the 12 better )

The late 13 models have different cable routing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    cracks seem to be more the 13 models.

The 13 has carbon rockers, 142x 12 Thru Axle & a different shock ( I like the shock on the 12 better )

The late 13 models have different cable routing.
    I thought most of the pictures were of the 2012 RDO's. I don't remember seeing any green cracked frames.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I thought most of the pictures were of the 2012 RDO's. I don't remember seeing any green cracked frames.
    Ok well, The early 2012 didn't seem to have a problem, The late 12 & into 13 seem to be the problem.

People know the Green 1 as 13 but niner don't do model years so it really is the Through Axle model.

It looks like all colours have had a problem, But more of a when they were built problem.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks
    Whats a great price? Some of use got ours for $1500 online. I'd go with it as long as its under 2000 and the shop agrees to cover any warranty rebuilds during the whole 5 year warranty.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I'd be cautious with the 2012. The problems with that model include not just the reported cracks, but also major problems with the cable routing. There are several big threads related to problems with internal routing for the rear derailleur leading to shifting issues. Niner released several different "shift kits" to try and fix the problem, but many people, including myself, continued to have problems such as ongoing ghost shifting. Running the cable externally solves the issue but it means not taking advantage of what was supposed to be a nice feature of the bike.

It seems Niner is offering upgrade to the latest frame for some people who have cracked the main frame. They don't offer this if you crack the rear triangle. They will ship you the shift kit for free but don't cover the labor costs if you have the Niner dealer install it.

The 2012 is still a very good bike, so if you can get it at a good price with a warranty, then it may still be worth it to you provided you know the limitations. However there is a reason why they were blown out at low prices.

mtbr member
    Thanks
    His scolli, I think you know exactly what you are in for, so. Go for it. It's a great bike and given that niner have withdrawn stock, chances are that bike isn't effected. If it's going to crack, it will very early on, then you at least get a new frame you can depend on

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Just found this (a few cracks developing on the seatstay near the DM front derailleur mount region) on my 2013 JET9 RDO 142x12. Got about 10 rides on the bike then this happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by D1PHAM View Post

Just found this (a few cracks developing on the seatstay near the DM front derailleur mount region) on my 2013 JET9 RDO 142x12. Got about 10 rides on the bike then this happens.

Yep, that's the notorious Niner crack. Happened to my friends bike the firs month he got it. The good news- Niner replaced it immediately with the newer frame and he's been riding it for about 4 months now with no problems. Pretty sure your new frame will last a long time as those that have had this problem and gotten the newer frames all seem to be happy. The LBS he bought it from also did the rebuilt no charge!

Good luck.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    That is the new style frame. The crack does appear to be lower than what I've seen with other people. Hopefully its an anomaly and not a sign that theres still a problem.

mtbr member
    That is the new style frame. The crack does appear to be lower than what I've seen with other people. Hopefully its an anomaly and not a sign that theres still a problem.
    Yes, my friends was also the new style frame(Kermit) But he got one of the original ones before they realized the problem, as I assume you may have gotten, and Niner has corrected this problem with new engineering that adds more carbon to the area of problem, thus creating a slightly heavier frame than the original.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Spoke to Niner today. Told me about the new frame with the updated cable routing and reinforced seatstays. I'm going to send my frame back for a warranty replacement. Let's see what transpires. As usual, Niner support is very good. Very responsive company.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Spoke to Niner today. Told me about the new frame with the updated cable routing and reinforced seatstays. I'm going to send my frame back for a warranty replacement. Let's see what transpires. As usual, Niner support is very good. Very responsive company.
    Niner took care of me. Sent out a brand new RIP 9 RDO. Much thanks and appreciation to the Niner team.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Re: Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Niner took care of me. Sent out a brand new RIP 9 RDO. Much thanks and appreciation to the Niner team.

Nice to hear! You are going to love the Rip 9 RDO.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Yes, my friends was also the new style frame(Kermit) But he got one of the original ones before they realized the problem, as I assume you may have gotten, and Niner has corrected this problem with new engineering that adds more carbon to the area of problem, thus creating a slightly heavier frame than the original.
    The new revised cable with carbon rockers has had a problem or two? I thought it was the "revised" frames. My frame is a Medium and it is lighter than the first Generation, mine weighed 5.1 Lbs.

mtbr member
    I've had to warranty 2 Jet9 RDO frames in the last year. Both were the new green color. The first one I purchased last February and had the carbon rocker with 12x142 rear but the old style cable routing. Its replacement had the newer style cable with the carbon rocker and 142x12 rear. Both of those frames cracked in the same spot. It's my understanding that there were a couple of runs that had the bad layup process in the seat tube. 1 with the old style cable routing which affected late models of the old style aluminum rocker version and early models of the carbon rocker with old routing and another run before they modified the process and reinforced the seat tube which affected the early frames with the newer cable routing. Both of the frames I had to warranty lasted ~100 miles before the cracks started to show. The latest frame I received has been running strong with over 1k miles on it. The only noticeable difference is that the last frame showed up with red anodized cage screws instead of the plain aluminum ones on my first two frames. I have wondered if they used those to mark the known good frame runs, or if it is purely coincidence. Also supposedly the new reinforced frames weigh just a hair more than the ones which were having the problems. I never weighed mine to compare though. Either way I got excellent customer service from my LBS and Niner. I'm extremely happy with my current frame and trust it will last a long time.

3LH
    mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    When is it time to call for a recall? This thread was created 6 months ago and this issue going on for over a year now. And riders had product failure after failure. Niner Bkes say they found the issue, then give you a replacement that fails with the same issue. And there were other issues with the JET 9 frame as well. My friend bought a JET 9 RDO late 2012 summer and when the LBS installed the headset cups. A fine crack devopled on the head tube. He receive his replaced a week later to have the same issues as others.

When my friend received his replacement, he notice the Words "Made in Veitnaim" on the box. Could this be related to the issue? Having your high-end product manufacted in a 3rd world country? Or is that the JET 9 products are jinked?

I say jinked, because I had another friend that got same run around when he purchase a 2008 JET 9 Alu fame with multiple issue happen ing before a second recall was issued. First was broken rocker link(first recall-new links), broken seat/chain stay brace-new redesigned Y-brace rear triangle, right upper bearing jearna brokenl-new re-designed/gusset rear triangle. Lucky for him, he did not experience the main product failure which finally caused concer for Niner Bikes to issue a recall, a crack tube.

At the time, Niner Bikes customer service and warranty team did a great job with this situation as a small company and is why Niner still in business. I guess With Niner Bikes being a corporation now, things must be handled different, or are they scared of another recall?

mtbr member
    I'd hardly say that Niner's response has been inadequate. Keep in mind, they have the actual facts and data surrounding the problem and we only have anecdotal evidence. A full recall? I'm sure that if they felt as necessary they would have done it by now.

I think buyers should make my decisions based on data and facts, not superstition or belief in some sort of hippy voodoo BS. The Jet frames have suffered no more or less problems than any high-end frames from Specialized, Trek, Santa Cruz, etc...

I also don't think it really matters these days where a product is made. So many of the high-end products we use every day are made in developing countries. As long as the product meets the specifications that the manufacturer intends and they stand behind that product I don't care where it's made. If they have a high fail rate or high number of manufacturing defects than that should affect the economics of the manufacturer not the buyer. If they stop standing by the product or quality drops, then the brand will suffer.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Well add 1 more to the list, hairline crack on the seat tube 2012 jet 9 rdo orange tang, just sent photos and serial number to LBS, hope niners customer service, works as well overseas, im living in spain, should hear something this week.
    So, here goes my question, if i paid for a full carbon jet 9 rdo back in the day, will i have to settle for the new jet carbon? with alloy triangle, no molded chain guard, and the new cable routing (which personaly) i do not care for or will they let me choose the new jet 9 rdo??
    Thanks ....

mtbr member
    I believe the cable routing on the Jet 9 Carbon and Jet 9 RDO is the same. I'm sure that if you make the case Niner will replace your Jet9 RDO with a new model RDO. They've been really good at working with customers throughout the process. I know others on the thread have been able to get the new RDO version even after a break in the old RDO version. The big question you'll have to ask yourself is can you convert your rear hub from QR to 142x12? If your hub easily converts than yeah I'd press them that you had an RDO and that they should replace it with an RDO. The shock alone merits the swap to the new RDO version. If you have to get a new rear wheel to accommodate, than you might ask yourself if it's worth the investment to you. The Jet 9 Carbon is still a phenomenal bike. A compromise you may ask for is to get the Fox CTD shock on the Jet 9 Carbon frame as a replacement. It's worth having the conversation with your LBS/Niner.

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Quote Originally Posted by rick28 View Post
    Well add 1 more to the list, hairline crack on the seat tube 2012 jet 9 rdo orange tang, just sent photos and serial number to LBS, hope niners customer service, works as well overseas, im living in spain, should hear something this week.
    So, here goes my question, if i paid for a full carbon jet 9 rdo back in the day, will i have to settle for the new jet carbon? with alloy triangle, no molded chain guard, and the new cable routing (which personaly) i do not care for or will they let me choose the new jet 9 rdo??
    Thanks ....
    Both the rdo and carbon jet are full carbon front and rear triangle. The lastest versions both have the updated cable routing.

Viva la Vida!
    Thanks ....
    As a NINER fan and rider I can tell you that they will honor the warranty.
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Thanks for responding so quickly, in regards to the cable routing on the jet carbon, the cable comes out of the down tube at the height of the water bottle mounts, and runs along the upper triangle seat stay towards the rear derailer, (for me it just ruins the look).
    In regards to my rear hub im riding a
    A.C. all mountain 135 mm x QR spacing, i believe there is a way to adapt to 142 mm.
    I would definetly choose the jet 9 rdo, and hopefully niner will honor my request.
    Do you know ?, how long they take to ship out a warranty frame?

thanks once again

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

Thanks for responding so quickly, in regards to the cable routing on the jet carbon, the cable comes out of the down tube at the height of the water bottle mounts, and runs along the upper triangle seat stay towards the rear derailer, (for me it just ruins the look).
    In regards to my rear hub im riding a
    A.C. all mountain 135 mm x QR spacing, i believe there is a way to adapt to 142 mm.
    I would definetly choose the jet 9 rdo, and hopefully niner will honor my request.
    Do you know ?, how long they take to ship out a warranty frame?

thanks once again
    Am classic can be converted for $35. I just did this to my race version. I used competitive cyclist to help me with my warranty claim. You shouldn't be down more than 2 weeks. In the end I decided on another brand. I know all frames break, but I personally know 12-15 friends who ride Niner frames and none of them are on their original frame and some in their 2nd replacement. Both carbon FS and hardtails.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Good to hear. I will keep you al posted , from sunny southern spain

Enviado desde mi Nexus 5 mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I developed cracks as well this past weekend. Cannot decide between direct replacement of a moondust carbon, upgrade to latest J9 RDO or bite the bullet and go RIP 9 RDO.

The new orange for the Jet 9 carbon is so horrid, it just might be a contender as well heh
    Last edited by schocka; 01-27-2014 at 05:48 PM.

Viva la Vida!
    Unless you are a hard core XC racer I will bite the bullet and get a RIP
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    What bullet is there to bite? You can upgrade to the Rip RDO no charge? Both great bikes, but I will say the Jet is a bit snappier. I don't know if I would call the Jet RDO a "hardcore" cross country racer. It is a great all around XC/Trail riding machine. I would call a hardtail hardcore for sure. I would say the Rip (to me) has no limits for the most part. I never feel like I push it all the way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Jet 9 Carbon is the frame that is the warranty replacement for '11-'12 Jet 9 RDOs

The new Jet RDOs are considered an upgrade with carbon rockers, 142x12 rear and CTD shock. So to go to this frame would be $300-350 plus the adapters to convert my rear hub. Another $40-50

To do the RIP 9 RDO, also considered an upgrade over my current frame. So $300-350, 142x12 adapters, will need a new dropper post, crankset and would want to do Pike for the fork. Looking at somewhere around 2k all said and done. Can maybe recoup some of that reselling the parts that wont transfer over, but still a nice chunk of coin.

That said, I am still strongly considering it

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast