Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 344
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Howdy! I'm new to the forum. Unfortunately, for my first post I am sharing another cracked frame on my 2012 Jet9RDO. Same place as the others on the seat post. I only had about 6 rides total. Still waiting on Niner to respond, but it looks like I may be off the trails in Boise for a few weeks.

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-2013-05-21-12.13.02.jpg

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    Ouch....
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoag View Post
    Howdy! I'm new to the forum. Unfortunately, for my first post I am sharing another cracked frame on my 2012 Jet9RDO. Same place as the others on the seat post. I only had about 6 rides total. Still waiting on Niner to respond, but it looks like I may be off the trails in Boise for a few weeks.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2013-05-21 12.13.02.jpg 
Views:	639 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	801409

  3. #53
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ejreyes6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    207

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

    Any chance these problems could stem from suspension that isn't setup properly? Excessive bottoming out?

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    Hardtails "bottom out" all the time and don't break so I think the J9RDO shouldn't break even if you do bottom out.
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Any chance these problems could stem from suspension that isn't setup properly? Excessive bottoming out?

  5. #55
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ejreyes6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    207

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Hardtails "bottom out" all the time and don't break so I think the J9RDO shouldn't break even if you do bottom out.
    Understood but hardtails don't have links and moving parts. I sure their Is tremendous stress on the seat stay when bottomed.

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    Maybe so but they still shouldn't break like that.

    I'm not too worried. Everyone said I would break the rear triangle on my ASR5 and I never did. I can't seem to break anything on my bikes, maybe I'm not ridding it correctly?
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Understood but hardtails don't have links and moving parts. I sure their Is tremendous stress on the seat stay when bottomed.

  7. #57
    Fat & Single
    Reputation: ozzybmx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,729
    Both valid points but there's dozens of other FS carbon bikes out there that might not have the susp set up 100% and aren't failing in the same spot, the frames are built to cope with these forces in the high stress areas.

    With the big market for light FS frames... its not the last time we will hear of these unfortunate issues when carbon frames are built to a weight spec.

    Good to hear Niner has stepped up and acknowledged the issue.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ejreyes6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    207

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Understood but hardtails don't have links and moving parts. I sure their Is tremendous stress on the seat stay when bottomed.
    I mean seat tube

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: mwandrusz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    72

    Didn't expect this

    I was reading through this thread, as I recently built up an AM themed RDO, and have been putting it through the ringer on some burly trails, last week was in Pisgah.

    When I got home yesterday, started looking at the seat tube area that appears in this thread. Saw two tiny hairline cracks in the paint, and thought "i better watch those".

    Then, as I'm wiping off the bike, I find this nasty bugger at the top tube/seat tube junction, on the upper side

    Has anyone seen this spot crack before? How would I have even accomplished this? Never crashed this bike- yet.Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-image-2-.jpegJet 9 RDO Frame Crack-image-3-.jpeg

  10. #60
    Moosehead
    Reputation: moosehead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,900
    ^Cringing for the now 8 examples in this thread, sorry gents. Please update us on the warranty efforts.

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    That's it...I'm not washing mine anymore...

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    188
    Good god...hope I don't regret not getting the RIP now.

  13. #63
    trail "cleaner"
    Reputation: AZmtncycler's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    That's it...I'm not washing mine anymore...
    I'm on the other side of that fence and wash/clean mine after every ride... I want to know ASAP if a crack develops.. I'm hoping my version 1.1 is more robust!!!
    No dabs allowed!

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ejreyes6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    207

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    I'm on the other side of that fence and wash/clean mine after every ride... I want to know ASAP if a crack develops.. I'm hoping my version 1.1 is more robust!!!
    It may be. I have over 2000 miles with no issue.

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    Just talked to Niner about my frame (the white 2012 RDO at the top of pg 3). They are replacing the frame with a 2013 Jet9Carbon moondust which is apparently the same frame as my 2012 RDO. The color scheme works for me because I was running a white fork although I am bummed about losing the RDO labeling. Looks like I will be tearing it down this afternoon...

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    I think that's a fair trade off. Maybe the RDO labeling is what's causing the cracks...lol...
    Quote Originally Posted by idahoag View Post
    Just talked to Niner about my frame (the white 2012 RDO at the top of pg 3). They are replacing the frame with a 2013 Jet9Carbon moondust which is apparently the same frame as my 2012 RDO. The color scheme works for me because I was running a white fork although I am bummed about losing the RDO labeling. Looks like I will be tearing it down this afternoon...

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    I wash mine all the time too but I may stop...
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    I'm on the other side of that fence and wash/clean mine after every ride... I want to know ASAP if a crack develops.. I'm hoping my version 1.1 is more robust!!!

  18. #68
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137
    What does the washing have to do with anything?

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    It's a joke man. By not washing it, I wouldn't see any cracks.
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    What does the washing have to do with anything?

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation: danvar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    137
    Cool. I ask because there is some other guy here on this forum that had his frame crack due to water getting in the frame and somehow creating some weird carbon eating calcification inside the frame. Old thread.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Bailey44's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    719
    Oh, I didn't know that, I was just trying to be funny but it really didn't work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    Cool. I ask because there is some other guy here on this forum that had his frame crack due to water getting in the frame and somehow creating some weird carbon eating calcification inside the frame. Old thread.

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    3
    I guess cracking my ego is better than the frame. That white frame is one sweet ride though...

    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    I think that's a fair trade off. Maybe the RDO labeling is what's causing the cracks...lol...

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    588
    No more washing my bike either I get the joke ha! Either way, I know some of you guys read this and tell yourself to avoid this frame. You gotta understand that most people who have problems will come here and inform us. The other 100,000 people (exaggerating of course) are out enjoying the bike and not reporting that there frame is fine.

    Personally, after seeing how professionally niner has handled the problem...I'd definitely buy another niner. Bikes break..it happens. We all knew we were buying a carbon bike, right?

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    85
    I am about to pull a trigger on a 2013 RDO. This thread really make me cringe and want to avoid this bike altogether. But somehow I don't think I am any more likely to get a frame crack with this frame vs. a Superfly 100 or a Cannondale Scalpel (my other two choices).

    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    No more washing my bike either I get the joke ha! Either way, I know some of you guys read this and tell yourself to avoid this frame. You gotta understand that most people who have problems will come here and inform us. The other 100,000 people (exaggerating of course) are out enjoying the bike and not reporting that there frame is fine.

    Personally, after seeing how professionally niner has handled the problem...I'd definitely buy another niner. Bikes break..it happens. We all knew we were buying a carbon bike, right?

  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ejreyes6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    207

    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

    All manufactures have frames that break. Don't let that be a deciding factor on choosing a bike. I have seen lots of broken giants, specialized, pivots, and a whole bunch of treks(probably the worst). Just look at other manufactures threads and search cracks.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. SIR 9 Paint Crack or Frame Crack??
    By AaronJobe in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 38
    Last Post: 01-04-2013, 09:19 AM
  2. Replies: 45
    Last Post: 01-26-2012, 08:17 AM
  3. paint crack or frame crack?
    By fujibikeben in forum Frame Building
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
  4. Frame crack?
    By thickfog in forum Fat Bikes
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-03-2011, 06:29 PM
  5. Frame crack or paint crack?
    By Rad Rider 415 in forum Niner Bikes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-06-2011, 07:20 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •