Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack

If you bought a RDO you should get a RDO regardless. Isn't the MSRP the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    The MSRP has gone up about $400 or so from version 1 with the addition of the thru axle and carbon rockers. The Jet Carbon's MSRP is about the same as the Jet RDO V1 and is basically the same bike with revised cable routing and a revised seat tube that hopefully won't break.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    The MSRP has gone up about $400 or so from version 1 with the addition of the thru axle and carbon rockers. The Jet Carbon's MSRP is about the same as the Jet RDO V1 and is basically the same bike with revised cable routing and a revised seat tube that hopefully won't break.
    If it was me & I had a 2012 Jet9 RDO ( top of the line at the time I brought it ) & it cracked, I wouldn't be very happy having it replaced with the Jet9 Carbon.

Even though the Jet9 Carbon is the same frame, All be it with a lesser shock.

I would be happy to put my old shock & alloy rockers on a new Jet9 RDO front & rear Triangle. If I had to, But would do what ever I could to keep the RDO on the bike.

I replace my bikes quite often & need the most money I can to do this, I would like my chances of selling a second hand Jet9 RDO for more than a Jet9 Carbon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Have there been any reports of the new Version 2 frames cracking at the seat tube like the Version 1 frames? By V2 frame I mean the one with new cable routing and also 142 rear thru axle.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    I see an obvious line of some sort from the bolt downwards, no play though. Planning on calling Niner about it tomorrow, but given the five year warranty, they do much better than others in covering their frames. Called Competetive about it, they are sending me the warranty form, and I will bring it by a shop. Again, I am don't think it is there, but given the location of what could be just a clear coat/paint crack, I am having it checked out.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I don't think I was screwed.
    I bought mine on close out originally.
    The new one has been built up, but it has been sitting in the garage because I have been using my SS all season.
    I will ride it at the Firecracker 50 I think.
    Now I am in road bike mode.

mtbr member

New Jet 9 RDO Seat Tube Crack XX1

Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-crack.jpg

mtbr member
    Photo up above is of my new dream bike. This bike is heaven on the trails around here and begs to go faster than I am capable. Never wrecked, this was my 9th ride on it and about 70 miles total. As I started up an incline I heard a pop and this was the result. I also lost a pivot bolt as you can see at the bottom just left of the chainring. Sucks donkey balls! I called up my LBS and they assured me all would be taken care of promptly Monday morning. I've been dealing with them for years and I know this to be true. I'm glad Niner takes care of their customers so well and am confident they will do the same as in all other cases. I'm 238lbs and am well within the rider weight limit Niner post in their online encyclopedia of a 295lbs. Our trails here in Louisiana ain't nothing but rooty single-track. No drops are descents.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ch13f View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crack.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	121.3 KB 
ID:	894176
    That's gnarly.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    So it appears that the even the new RDO frames are doing the same thing? Ch13f, what size of bike is this and how much do you weigh all geared up? Just curious...

mtbr member
    This is a size large and I put my weight earlier. I don't ride with a hydration pack or tools of that sort. All my local Trails are located in parks. I do carry a pack when I go ride away from home but haven't had a chance as of yet. I was still getting used to the dynamics of the bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by epiphreddy View Post
    Have there been any reports of the new Version 2 frames cracking at the seat tube like the Version 1 frames? By V2 frame I mean the one with new cable routing and also 142 rear thru axle.
    Yup, just look at ch13f's pic above, that is a new frame with the carbon rocker and notice the cable routing is the new.

mtbr member
    I'm back on the bike again. My LBS Bicycle Superstore of Lake Charles, LA had everything filled out for warranty when I brought my bike to them Monday during my lunch break. And by Friday they had received the new frame and built up my bike and had it ready for pick up. After I got off work I burned a couple laps. Niner warranty was excellent and my LBS really looks out for their customers.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-jet-9-rdo-frame-crack.jpg

So my love hate relationship with my Niner Jet 9 RDO continues. This bike absolutly rips when tuned and is so damn pretty to look at and then it always seems to crack....Has anybody seen a crack in this location? Obviously you can see a tear where the protective tape is on the undercarraige due to some kind of impact. Im clueless as to what hit my frame and to make matters worse, this is my 3rd green/black Jet 9 RDO since last July. Last two have cracked where everybody elses's have cracked and I've only had this current frame three months.... It seems Niner fixed the frame design with stronger carbon placment as this one has yet to crack behind the shock like everybody else's and now this. Local bike shop has has no problems getting the last two replaced for me however this time with the impact mark, Niner has declined replacing it.... Anybody have any thoughts or suggestions.

mtbr member
    Does look impactish. Just keep riding it - there are always howls from people who think carbon explodes like an IUD under you, but I have never come across actual evidence of such occurrences.

You must have at least 90% of strength there (assuming the cracks go all the way though on both sides). I wouldn't ride it if the crack opened up and you can see the inner carbon fibre, but there are repair options for carbon fibre which are superior to aluminium repairs - but it won't look as good again after repair

mtbr member
    May 2012
    The tear in the protective tape kind of gives it away as an impact. Or some kind of trauma while being stored. I wouldn't recommend riding it if you plan to have it repaired, calfee is relatively cheap. I think their most expensive repair is only like $300. That's pretty cheap compared to a new frame. And if you ride it more it will probably get more expensive.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

29ers Only.
    Hi Jeremy,

Sorry to see this damage. Please make sure you bring the bike to an authorized Niner dealer for inspection. We can suggest possible solutions from there.

Thanks,

Nate

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Thanks guys for your suggestions. The bike was actually picked up from my local bike shop (RBM) by MILLENNIUM BICYCLES last Friday who specilizes in custom frame builds and carbon repairs so I will post up how that turns out. I just sent you an email Nate so Im no sure if there is anything you are willing to do for me at this point since the bike was taken to a Niner dealer and I was pretty much told I can get a replacment at cost. Whether my dealer dropped the ball or not I really cant say as they had my last two replacements shipped to me in a week which I was very impressed with. Either way Im tired of riding my road bike and Im ready to get back out on the trails and I will post the outome of this great adventure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2014
    Jet 9 RDO Frame Crack-frame-repair-2.jpgJet 9 RDO Frame Crack-frame-rapair-1.jpg

This is my first experience with carbon repair however it appears to have turned out well. For anybody wondering I paid 250 for the repair with clear coat. I opted to not have it painted for another 200 bucks thinking it would be hard to match Niner's awesome metallic paint job and figured it would add some character to my bike. Anyways I just picked up my bike and look forward to hitting the trails after work!

mtbr member
    Hey, everyone. I've noticed my Jet 9 is starting to develop some cracks around the BB area. How frequently is this just cracks in the clear coat vs. a compromise of the carbon structure? Any way to tell?

Thanks!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Choro View Post
    Hey, everyone. I've noticed my Jet 9 is starting to develop some cracks around the BB area. How frequently is this just cracks in the clear coat vs. a compromise of the carbon structure? Any way to tell?

Thanks!
    Pictures of these cracks might help us...

mtbr member
    Ah, yes. Of course. I will post some as soon as I get a chance.

29ers Only.
    Hi, we would love to check this frame out and help evaluate what is going on - give us a ring at (877)646-3792 to talk to a real person, or email any photos to warranty@ninerbikes.com

Thanks,
    Nate

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Hi, we would love to check this frame out and help evaluate what is going on - give us a ring at (877)646-3792 to talk to a real person, or email any photos to warranty@ninerbikes.com

Thanks,
    Nate
    Thanks, Nate. Email on its way!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    My Jet 9 RDO cracked after 300 miles. Niner replaced the frame quickly for me. Love the bike just hope it doesn't crack again.

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast