Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2005

Jet 9 RDO disappointment!

I order a large licorice JET 9 frame in November 2011. I was supose to receive it in February 2012 and I learned today that if everythong goes well I will receive it early July. I also bought all the components.

I will have cancell the purchase and buy something else.
    Any suggestion? Carbon frame, 100mm, FS...

I'm in Canada and the cycling season is very short.
    The racing season begins June 6 and ends September 10.

Thanks

Underskilled
    Niner let you down. See if they will lend you a frame until yours arrives.

long shot, but worth asking ;-)
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I don't understand why it took so long.. maybe it's a Canada thing but my LBS has ordered and received several RDO frames since last fall.

mtbr member
    Not a Canada thing I know my lbs evolution cycles in Richmond Hill Ontario have delivered a few give Jamie and Mike call
    biking makes it better

mtbr member
    RDOs are back ordered till july or august. Apparently there were some qc issues at factory. this according to competitive cyclist. I ordered one, then changed to a sc tallboy, which was also back ordered, but only for a couple weeks.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    One more, I do know that bicycle outfitters indy has 2 mediums there pricing is good. Located in US though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    ahh... that sucks :cry in: I have spoken with 2 dealers and getting the bikes here seems quite the exercise in patience and I think a bit of luck. If I understood it correctly, they come from Taiwan to the States and then from there to us here all that shuffling around and I guess stuff happens.

With that being said I purchased my Air9 from Jamie at Evolution and he is a pretty good guy and tries super hard to make things happen.

My current order (Air 9 RDO frame in Green) for some reason didn't make it in the first shipment 3 weeks ago so was told May 27th... keeping my fingers crossed... (not ordered from Jamie).

Good luck with yours.

D
    Somewhere lost in the Bush!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X View Post
    RDOs are back ordered till july or august. Apparently there were some qc issues at factory. this according to competitive cyclist. I ordered one, then changed to a sc tallboy, which was also back ordered, but only for a couple weeks.

I hope you enjoy your Tallboy alot more than I did mine, It was the biggest disapointment I had on a top end bike I have ever had.

Loving my RDO & would wait all over again if I had to, IMO there isn't any other 100mm FS 29er in the same league.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    If I wait till july I will miss 3 or 4 marathon race on 5........
    Any frame suggestion?? About Tallboy, Scalpel....The Scott Spark 29 .....

Thanks
    Last edited by Rich24; 05-13-2012 at 05:46 AM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I put an order in for a jet rdo a month ago. I was told 6 weeks initially, then a week later it turned into 6 months. I guess ill be happy with a delivery before christmas. I suppose it gives me more time to buy build kit stuff. Oh well. I sold my only geared bike the week I bought the niner, so it's single speed for me for the rest of the season.

USED2COULD
    I ordered mine from a US online store and had it shipped to a border town. Paid Canadian duty and was good to go. I'd support my LBS if they had been willing to be reasonable.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm tbd
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I hope you enjoy your Tallboy alot more than I did mine, It was the biggest disapointment I had on a top end bike I have ever had.

Loving my RDO & would wait all over again if I had to, IMO there isn't any other 100mm FS 29er in the same league.
    I rode a Cannondale Scalpel 29er and that bike is fast! Wow! Better than a RDO no but faster fore sure.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I rode a Cannondale Scalpel 29er and that bike is fast! Wow! Better than a RDO no but faster fore sure.
    On a fire road maybe,Maybe not but who cares about the road ? , The thing is with the RDO you have to be brave to get it to the limit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by khskenny View Post
    I put an order in for a jet rdo a month ago. I was told 6 weeks initially, then a week later it turned into 6 months. I guess ill be happy with a delivery before christmas. I suppose it gives me more time to buy build kit stuff. Oh well. I sold my only geared bike the week I bought the niner, so it's single speed for me for the rest of the season.
    By that time, they'll have something else out that will be another year wait..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich24 View Post
    If I wait till july I will miss 3 or 4 marathon race on 5........
    Any frame suggestion?? About Tallboy, Scalpel....The Scott Spark 29 .....

Thanks
    I ended up getting an Epic S-works when obtaining an RDO in a reasonable amount of time seemed unfeasible. Love the bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I wouldn't say this is a "canada thing" as I too ordered a large Jet 9 RDO in November 2011only I received it before Christmas. I asked for whatever colour was available (though white was my first choice.) I ended up with white. Our local dealer (Tall Tree Cycles - Ottawa) just received a RDO hardtail pretty quickly too. Sounds like just bad timing with regard to Niner's stock.

As for a second choice... I'd get the Epic if you're racing.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    The Epic is a sweet bike!

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I got my rdo from the states rich, look online.
    I also have an epic and the rdo is a better all around bike no question

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I've had good luck in the past with hard to find frames, bikes, etc. by calling around. You wouldn't believe how many bikes are out there sitting in smaller shops. I also usually ask if anyone there has one already built up (used) they're itching to sell. I once found what I was looking for in Indiana although I live on the East Coast. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Just put one on order w/ comp cyclist. They are saying mid to late June....hope that's true. Sooner would be better of course!!

mtbr member
    I wish I have the budget or a Jet RDO frame no matter the wait

Flaccid Member
    You'll find the wait on an S Works Epic just as long as a Jet RDO.

My own guess is they are trying to keep inventory tight to support higher prices, as the team racers never seem to have problems getting anything they want at good prices.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just ordered a JET 9 RDO XL in black from a shop here in Phoenix and they indicated they will receive the frame late June. I called Niner and got the same - production is up and they are working backorders aggressively. I am taking that for what it is worth but hopefully others are hearing the same.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    On a fire road maybe,Maybe not but who cares about the road ? , The thing is with the RDO you have to be brave to get it to the limit.
    I respect your thoughts and feelings about the RDO 9. It may be the best all around plastic 29er FS bike out there for a lot of people. However, that said, I have ridden the RDO 9 and Spezzy 29er, Cannondale Scalpel, and even the lowly Tallboy and love them all.

The Tallboy just felt right and was awesome in all around riding. I love the sizing and VPP suspension
    The Epic was just a great climber and sweet. Gave up a bit to the RDO 9 and Tallboy on descents. Sweet all around bike.
    The Cannondale Scalpel is the best pedaling of them all and SUPER STIFF. It descended a touch nervously because it is the raciest of all the bikes. I did ride a medium so a large probably descends better. Not as active because of the single pivot design.
    The Niner RDO 9 is very lively feeling and is awesome in every way. I have not had a lot of experience and the large felt a touch clumsy to me. I wish the sizing was a touch different. I would like a 19" down tube and 23.9" or so top tube.
    I would like to try the new Giant carbon Anthem 29er because I love the Maestro design on other Giant's I have tried.
    My Jet 9 alloy is a great climber and decent descender but the heavy frame holds it back a bit.

All sweet bikes I could have tons of fun on....

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich24 View Post
    I order a large licorice JET 9 frame in November 2011. I was supose to receive it in February 2012 and I learned today that if everythong goes well I will receive it early July. I also bought all the components.

I will have cancell the purchase and buy something else.
    Any suggestion? Carbon frame, 100mm, FS...

I'm in Canada and the cycling season is very short.
    The racing season begins June 6 and ends September 10.

Thanks
    Clearly you are not a very good Niner customer. If you knew anything about Niner's lead times this wouldn't have been any type of surprise. You've waited this long, might as well not chooch out now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast