Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Sorry to the OP, I got my Large 1 week after ordering from Colorado Cyclist in November. Looks like they only have XL's in stock now. Have you tried Hammerhead? They usually have some.

I really like the RDO, great bike. I'm normally a fan of longer travel bikes but the RDO with a solid set of wheels, wide bar and dropper post is incredibly versatile even in our rocky conditions. Not as playful as my other bikes but I mostly use it for 3-6 hour rides and it's nice to have something so fast and comfortable. An extra inch of rear travel would probably suit me better for these conditions but it's about as good of a bike for me as anything currently available. Cool to be able to put on the light wheels and post and go racing on Sunday with the same bike.

I looked at the TB but already have a Nomad and am not a huge fan of VPP. Checked out the Scalpel but I would never spend that much on a single pivot bike. Specialized makes some nice bikes but I'm not paying that much more to ride a big corporate bike. Only other bike that interests me right now in the Ibis Ripley. My experience with Ibis's Mojo tells me it's going to be an awesome bike. 120mm with a 140 Fox 34 all around 26lbs with real world rideable parts... mmmm. If you have to wait months for the RDO, might want to consider the Ibis if you are into a bit more travel.

mtbr member
    I just saw an RDO frame at my local LBS. I believe it was a LARGE, but not sure. Black, looked sick.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

A lot of generalizations

Quote Originally Posted by photodog View Post
    Sorry to the OP, I got my Large 1 week after ordering from Colorado Cyclist in November. Looks like they only have XL's in stock now. Have you tried Hammerhead? They usually have some.

I really like the RDO, great bike. I'm normally a fan of longer travel bikes but the RDO with a solid set of wheels, wide bar and dropper post is incredibly versatile even in our rocky conditions. Not as playful as my other bikes but I mostly use it for 3-6 hour rides and it's nice to have something so fast and comfortable. An extra inch of rear travel would probably suit me better for these conditions but it's about as good of a bike for me as anything currently available. Cool to be able to put on the light wheels and post and go racing on Sunday with the same bike.

I looked at the TB but already have a Nomad and am not a huge fan of VPP. Checked out the Scalpel but I would never spend that much on a single pivot bike. Specialized makes some nice bikes but I'm not paying that much more to ride a big corporate bike. Only other bike that interests me right now in the Ibis Ripley. My experience with Ibis's Mojo tells me it's going to be an awesome bike. 120mm with a 140 Fox 34 all around 26lbs with real world rideable parts... mmmm. If you have to wait months for the RDO, might want to consider the Ibis if you are into a bit more travel.
    Niner is not as large a company as Niner but corporation. I actually like corporations!
    Go ride the Scalpel and then get back to us.
    Go ride the Tallboy and get back to us.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 05-20-2012 at 07:53 PM.

mtbr member
    OH BTW -- THe frame was for sale!! If you need one, call them.

Valley Bike and Ski in Hadley, MA. Im sure they will ship it out.
    “People fear death even more than pain. It's strange that they fear death. Life hurts a lot more than death." JM

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    bikebling.com has a bunch

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I ordered a large licorice Jet 9 RDO in February from my local bike shop and was told June delivery. Got the last large from Competitive Cyclist and tried to return because there was a chip in the paint. Told August for next delivery...kept the bike and got $150 in merchandise ;-) Love the bike. Still trying to get it setup right as I lose the rear tire in the rock garden. Sold the Giant Anthem on ebay for this bike..and glad I did.

Flaccid Member
    My experience is that it's pretty close with the Jet RDO and the Speshy S Works Epic on climbing, I'd give a slight edge to the Epic on climbing, but the Epic feels way more nervous descending than a Jet RDO does. You can get whatever components you want when you build your own Jet RDO, build it as light, as strong or as cheap as you want, pick two. Not so with the Epic, you get what they give you.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    That isn't true. You can buy an sworks epic frame/fork and build it up as you want.

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    That isn't true. You can buy an sworks epic frame/fork and build it up as you want.

Still stuck with a Reba fork,, not my first choice, pretty flexy at my weight, and only 90mm of travel with a QR lower. No thanks. Not unless it's dirt cheap, but not for $3300.

Sort of tempted to try a Corsa Ligera Marz if I get a hardtail.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    What are you talking about???

They have a Sid... Petty much standard stuff. Oh and they have 100mm travel, with a head angle of 70.5, which is slacker than the RDO at that travel level. You can make the fork 110mm easily if you wish.

The RDO is a great bike, but there is no reason to spread misinformation about the epic...

Have you spent time on an Epic Sworks?

The specialized ht bikes do have 90mm travel. Perhaps that is the point of confusion?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Still waiting for the small black jet rdo ordered 2 months ago, hey niner any updates on delivery going to demo Santa Cruz tallboy next week as a back up plan. Short bike season in north east. Sounds like bike is worth it though
    NHrider

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by amcsix View Post
    Still waiting for the small black jet rdo ordered 2 months ago, hey niner any updates on delivery going to demo Santa Cruz tallboy next week as a back up plan. Short bike season in north east. Sounds like bike is worth it though
    Yes that will have you wanting your RDO even more, I have owned both & IMO the RDO just kills the Tallboy

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by briscoelab View Post
    What are you talking about???

They have a Sid... Petty much standard stuff. Oh and they have 100mm travel, with a head angle of 70.5, which is slacker than the RDO at that travel level. You can make the fork 110mm easily if you wish.

The RDO is a great bike, but there is no reason to spread misinformation about the epic...

Have you spent time on an Epic Sworks?

The specialized ht bikes do have 90mm travel. Perhaps that is the point of confusion?
    I have ridden both S Works, Epic with 100mm and Stumpjumper hardtail with 90mm. , Epic is a slightly better feel on climbing in my opinion. Not fond of how Speshy runs their business, or how heavy handed they are with dealerships ordering inventory. I believe the Sworks in XL had a shorter head tube, and with the stock carbon seatpost extended fully in an XL, it was still way too short and too small for my 6' 5" frame and 36" seat post to get proper leg extension. That was not a problem for me on the Jet RDO I rode at Keyesville when Fuzzy Milner was there at the Keyesville Classic.

Any bike shop can do a basic rebuild on a Fox RP23, blow a brain on a Speshy, and the down time can be significant and expensive.

For me, I felt the RDO is a better value. YMMV, just my opinion. I just feel Speshy has more overhead and more racers to subsidize, Niner is a leaner and meaner company, that is who I chose to support with my $.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the same issue as the OP and I live in the US. I ordered mine in October and the last update I got was at the end of June or July.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    I think they are fairly well catching back up now

mtbr member
    Mine has finally shipped. Due to arrive next Wed.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Interesting

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I hope you enjoy your Tallboy alot more than I did mine, It was the biggest disapointment I had on a top end bike I have ever had.

Loving my RDO & would wait all over again if I had to, IMO there isn't any other 100mm FS 29er in the same league.
    I own a RDO 9 and I think the Tallboy is a fantastic machine. Each to their own! I also think the Specialized Camber, Cannondale Scalpel 29er among other bikes are awesome. I would make a decision on the Tallboy vrs. RDO 9 by fit not performance. I do wish the RDO 9 rode more stable with a 100mm fork without having to pump up the fork to 120mm to stabilize it. I would either pump the rear up to 120mm or slack it out a degree and a half...no such problem with the Tallboy.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I own a RDO 9 and I think the Tallboy is a fantastic machine. Each to their own! I also think the Specialized Camber, Cannondale Scalpel 29er among other bikes are awesome. I would make a decision on the Tallboy vrs. RDO 9 by fit not performance. I do wish the RDO 9 rode more stable with a 100mm fork without having to pump up the fork to 120mm to stabilize it. I would either pump the rear up to 120mm or slack it out a degree and a half...no such problem with the Tallboy.
    I would like to see a photo of your bike & see how you have it set up.

If you don't like the way your bike handles with the 100mm fork, Putting a 120mm fork on it would seem like a good answer.

There things about the Tallboy that were ok but the pedal strikes, pedal feedback, the mid stroke wallow the need to use the pro pedal leaver to try to control that VPP & the flexy rear end were a deal braker for me.

If you thought it was a fantastic you can't want as much from a bike as I do & thats ok.

Niner can sell you a frame but can't make you set it up well for your ridding, That is for you to work out.

Sounds to me you need some help to get your bike sorted for your skill level.

If you beleave that the 100mm travel fork is the 1 for you & you need the bike to be slacker you could look at things like an angle headset, larger tyre on the front, Maybe a smaller one on the rear & things like that.

Have you tried the RDO with a 120mm fork ??

Did the Tallboy that you did a little bit of ridding on have a 100mm fork ??

Is the fork you used new ?? or does it need a service ??

What settings are you using on your rear shock ?? Hope your not using the same shock pressure as you did with your Jet9.

What height are you ?? What set height do you run ??

I could go on but show us a Pic.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I just extended the fork to 120mm and it was a good move but I do give us some climbing ability. Otherwise, a great move.

I rode a Tallboy with 100mm. It was a large and it rode great. I thought the bike handled awesome and I didn't feel the pedal feedback or other ill pedaling impact of VPP. The only thing that challenged me a touch was it was a touch big feeling with a 24" top tube. Otherwise, a great riding bike!!!

I don't mean to offend you because I think the Niner Jet 9 RDO is a wonderful riding bike; however, I am not willing to crown it the best plastic 29er on the planet. It is very good but there a lot of other good bikes out there...including the bike I mentioned.

I'm very pleased with my purchase but the cool thing is lots of manufactures are selling awesome bikes. It is a win/win for us all as riders.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I just extended the fork to 120mm and it was a good move but I do give us some climbing ability. Otherwise, a great move.

I rode a Tallboy with 100mm. It was a large and it rode great. I thought the bike handled awesome and I didn't feel the pedal feedback or other ill pedaling impact of VPP. The only thing that challenged me a touch was it was a touch big feeling with a 24" top tube. Otherwise, a great riding bike!!!

I don't mean to offend you because I think the Niner Jet 9 RDO is a wonderful riding bike; however, I am not willing to crown it the best plastic 29er on the planet. It is very good but there a lot of other good bikes out there...including the bike I mentioned.

I'm very pleased with my purchase but the cool thing is lots of manufactures are selling awesome bikes. It is a win/win for us all as riders.
    You are right there are other good bikes out there in the 29er FS carbon but IMO the Tallboy just isn't 1 of them, for me it wasn't just a case of it it could have been better I hated it & can't get over why some people like it.

There are plenty of Tallboy riders that love them & good for them, but there is also a growing list of people ditching them & going to bikes that don't have as many bad habbits, I know of many that have gone to RDO's & are very happy.

Anyway I don't like talking about Tallboys, I know that I don't like them & they don't work for me & if i was offered a new Tallboy frame at 50% off I still wouldn't want it & I also know I'm sick of all the neg rep's you get from Tallboy owners for talking bad about there bike.

Where is a pic of your bike ?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Yaw, I don't concur with your view on Tallboy's but on well. I spent a week on a Tallboy in Sedona, Arizona and completely enjoyed it. We all have our preferences! I like peanut butter and banana on brown bread also The good news it the RDO 9 is a sweet ride....

mtbr member
    Finally got mine after over 2 month wait. It was well worth the wait. I think I may be selling my Ibis Mojo SL. This bike rides insane!!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by tmc1171 View Post
    Finally got mine after over 2 month wait. It was well worth the wait. I think I may be selling my Ibis Mojo SL. This bike rides insane!!
    Nice bike.

mtbr member
    Looks sharp and pretty light, so jealous right now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2