Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling

Over approximately the last month my V1 Jet 9 RDO has been creaking while pedaling. Initially it started while climbing but then progressed to where it was happening whenever I was pedaling. If I stop pedaling, the creaking goes away.

Initially I thought it was the bottom bracket and had the local Niner dealer install a new PF30 BB. The dealer also identified that I was missing a pivot bolt for the rear suspension and got it replaced by Niner. During this process they noticed that some of the rear suspension bearing were shot, so they are also being replaced by Niner. In the interim they greased them up and I rode this weekend. It was also the first time riding with the new bottom bracket. The bike didn't creak for the first 17 miles, but then it started again. Again, it was only when pedaling and worse when I was using bigger cogs in the rear. Without pedaling the creaking didn't occur.

I should be getting the bearings replaced this week. Hopefully it solves the issues but I thinking that if it is the suspension bearings, shouldn't it be creaking without pedaling too?

Anyone else noticed this on a Jet 9 RDO?

mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling

I would check the torque on ur pedals, cranks, and rear hub. I had a similar issue and didn't trace to a loose hub until some shifting issues developed and I noticed the hub was loose. Also use assembly compound on the threads of all the above things.

Carbon & Ti rule
    What about standing vs Sitting pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    It's doing it sitting and standing as far as I can tell, but again only when pedaling. I think the pedals are fine (Shimano XTR's). My cleats creak a bit but that is a different noise altogether.

I did wonder a little about the rear hub as the potential cause and mentioned it to the dealer today when I dropped the bike back off. The wheel set is also pretty new (Enve AM with DT240 hubs) and the Niner dealer had to put different end caps on the hubs to adapt them to the V1 RDO (they were 142 and they adapted to 135). I also put on a new cassette (SRAM XO) on this wheel set.

I'm not too experienced with building or maintain wheels/hubs, so not exactly sure what to check on the hub.

Carbon & Ti rule
    There has been quite a few people asking the same question as you & even on other bikes & over have of them have found the rear Skewer to loose.

mtbr member

Re: Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling

The other common source of creaking is loose front chainring bolts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    There has been quite a few people asking the same question as you & even on other bikes & over have of them have found the rear Skewer to loose.
    I had some creaking occur last year and simply tightened the rear wheel and this fixed it. No such luck this time around.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    The other common source of creaking is loose front chainring bolts.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
    That was one of the first things I checked and they were ok.

The part I finding strange was how it was fine for 17 miles yesterday and then started again and continued for the next 18 miles. Maybe the grease they put on the bearings helped but still doesn't explain why creaking is only occurring with pedaling.

mtbr member
    Sounds a lot like the PF30 creaking. A remedy is to use TFE paste on the PF30 and that should help tighten the fit. Rear skewer that is not tight can make a lot of noise too.

mtbr member
    Check the skewers as others suggested. I've had the exact same issue with my Jet, thinking it was the bearings that needed to be cleaned/greased.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    Check the skewers as others suggested. I've had the exact same issue with my Jet, thinking it was the bearings that needed to be cleaned/greased.
    I'm waiting to get the bike back from the shop - they are putting the new bearings in. However, should this not fix it, I wanted to clarify what I'm supposed to do with the rear skewer.

I have the 135mm axle. Mine just sort of screws in, doesn't have the typical quick release lever, but rather you just tighten it by hand.

Am I supposed to just check if it is tight? Or is there something more I need to do. Sorry for the noob question but just a little confused on this one.

Here is a picture of my rear wheel. One the other side of the wheel (left side of the skewer which you can see) is the handle that you use to tighten the wheel down.

Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling-2013-07-26-20.09.27.jpg

mtbr member
    Sounds like you have a DTSwiss RWS skewer? Yes, those are designed to be tightened tight! On the handle side, between the black part of the handle and the washer thing (it's not really a washer but I can't think of that it is called) squirt a little triflow or wd-40 in between so that it tightens smoothly.

Re: the PF30 coincidentally: How To Silence A Creaky Bottom Bracket - 5 Tips - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    Sounds like you have a DTSwiss RWS skewer? Yes, those are designed to be tightened tight! On the handle side, between the black part of the handle and the washer thing (it's not really a washer but I can't think of that it is called) squirt a little triflow or wd-40 in between so that it tightens smoothly.

Re: the PF30 coincidentally: How To Silence A Creaky Bottom Bracket - 5 Tips - BikeRadar
    Yes, that is the type of skewer. I'll try the lube on that part as soon as I get the bike back. I've got a lot of riding planned this weekend. Heading to Brown County in Indiana to ride the IMBA epic, so that should give it a good test.

Dirty South Underdog
    Did they replace all of the suspension pivot bearings? If not, that's what I'd check next.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrea138 View Post
    Did they replace all of the suspension pivot bearings? If not, that's what I'd check next.
    That's hopefully underway as I write this. They were waiting for them to come in from Niner. However with all te good responses on this thread, I'll have a few other things to check if the creaking returns whie riding n Brown County this weekend.

One thing with the creaking... Everyone can hear me coming, but then they are surprised that its a Niner making all that noise!

mtbr member
    Man, I have been chasing down a bad creak for 2 months now, we tried about everything. Finally, last week, we figured out it was the cassette. It was installed dry and was creaking against the freehub body. Dead silent now.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Man, I have been chasing down a bad creak for 2 months now, we tried about everything. Finally, last week, we figured out it was the cassette. It was installed dry and was creaking against the freehub body. Dead silent now.
    Was your creaking worse in the larger rear cogs? That is something I have noticed.

I had the cassette installed by Art's when I ordered the wheel set, so haven't taken it off or checked it. I'll add it to the list if the creak is not resolved.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    Was your creaking worse in the larger rear cogs? That is something I have noticed.

I had the cassette installed by Art's when I ordered the wheel set, so haven't taken it off or checked it. I'll add it to the list if the creak is not resolved.
    I had a hard time determining this. It was worse when I was doing heavy climbing which meant I was in the larger cogs but I was never sure if it was the extra load or the fact that I was in a larger cog.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Very good suggestions in here - thanks. My Jet 9 RDO is 6 mos old (2013) and started creaking like mad under uneven load - heavy side to side work with the suspension in an active state was the worst. It reminded me of my first generation Blur who's pivots needed rebuilding every 20 or so rides. It also had that creaky BB aspect to it but I could not tell.

Anyhow, I pulled the rear wheel off and noticed slight play in the derailleur hanger. It was not really loose but still a bit of movement was easy to see. When I pulled the hanger off, there was a lot of grime in between it and the frame interface. There is no way the hanger was perfectly flush with that muck.

So, I cleaned all this up put a thick bit of grease between the layers and put her back together with a tight axle. (There is a very slight chance the axle was not tight enough, originally.) The first ride tonight seems to indicate that the issue is gone. I'll report back if it is short lived.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Interesting about the rear derailleur hanger - if my creaking persists I'll have to check that.

I got my bike back from the shop tonight. They got all the rear suspension bearing replaced. Sounds like my old ones were completely shot and binding up. Anyone else have this on a Jet 9 RDO after two seasons?

They also took the cassette off, cleaned and lubed it.

I took it up and down the driveway a few times and it was fine but the real test will be Saturday at Brown County. We'll see...

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Keep us posted......searching for a creak also.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Not trying to hijack, but I get creaking in my '13 Jet RDO when only sitting and pedaling. Tightened the post and seat, and still get creaking. Any suggestions here???

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    Not trying to hijack, but I get creaking in my '13 Jet RDO when only sitting and pedaling. Tightened the post and seat, and still get creaking. Any suggestions here???
    Try lubing the hell out of the rear thru-axle.

Take it out and make sure it is clean, lube the threads, the axle, and all the surfaces that come in contact with the frame. Lube the hub end caps where they touch the frame in the dropouts. I use Phil Wood's Water Proof Grease. Unfortunately at least at first the grease will hold some dirt but after a ride or two it will be easy to clean up as long as you don't over do the grease.

Then when you reattach the rear wheel, turn the thru-axle tight! Don't break the flanges on the handle but it needs to be super tight. Then the clamping part should be moderately firm but not super tight as you can break the thru-axle inside the hub and that will be a different level of problems.

This has fixed a bunch of my creaking problems that I could not figure out. I went through several BBs and checked suspension bearings, derailluer hangers, seat posts... you name it. The thru-axle was unfortunately the last thing I thought of...

I've known a few other brands that seem to have this rear thru-axle issue too.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling

My Creak comes from the spider on my crank. Have ti tighten the lockring.

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jet rdo, did all your things as well.

Dérailleur hanger as well. Bit of dust gets in there and away it goes- you can tell if you grab the derailleur and give it a little twist and it creaks.

I removed the deraileur from the hanger, cleaned and lubed, then removed the hanger from the frame, put t all back together and bobs your uncle!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast