Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Ok, some good news. I got out for a long ride at the awesome Brown County trail system in Southern Indiana today. After four hours of riding - no creaking!

It looks like it was likely the suspension bearings. The shop did check my cassette as well and put some extra lube on it, but considering the bearing were in such bad shape that still seems to be the more likely culprit.

The question is - should the bearings be replaced regularly then? Maybe each season?

mtbr member
    I replace them when needed, which tends to be at about 16 months so far. For the most part I don't ride in wet conditions so that probably helps a lot. Although the last set of lower pivot bearings I went through seemed to be right after several surprisingly deep stream crossings (in which case my bb was shot as well).

mtbr member
    Unfortunateky, You can't assume it's the bearings because a decent mechanic would have done a thorough frame cleanup at the time - remove clean , degrease etc . Done that before, thought it was an upper pivot bearing, but it came back in a ride or 2, but the act of removing a rear wheel and tightening things while I was at it meant I couldn't tell what the fix was.

Creaks can be massively frustrating!
    Last edited by pharmaboy; 09-01-2013 at 02:14 PM.

mtbr member
    My jet 9 has developed a knocking sound when pedaling??? Driving me crazy.

Everything feels smooth nothing feels wrong…Just a knock or tick sound every pedal stroke. It seems to be coming from the left side

mtbr member
    My replacement J9RDO developed a pretty nasty creaking while pedaling under load while climbing. I checked/tightened the BB cups into the adaptors, the chainring bolts, the pedals, the crank arms and the pivots. None of these stopped the creaking.

After reading this I tried cleaning and re-lubing the 12/142 thru axle interface. This did not solve it. Then I removed the rear der. hanger and it had some debris from the manufacturing that had to be cleaned. I did this and then re-greased the interface of the this part and tightened the hanger to spec. This immediately stopped the creaking. hopefully this will be last of the noise.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    You know sram does not recommending re-using the PF30 cup right? as in, you remove them and they are done. That could cause some noise too I would imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    My replacement J9RDO developed a pretty nasty creaking while pedaling under load while climbing. I checked/tightened the BB cups into the adaptors, the chainring bolts, the pedals, the crank arms and the pivots. None of these stopped the creaking.

After reading this I tried cleaning and re-lubing the 12/142 thru axle interface. This did not solve it. Then I removed the rear der. hanger and it had some debris from the manufacturing that had to be cleaned. I did this and then re-greased the interface of the this part and tightened the hanger to spec. This immediately stopped the creaking. hopefully this will be last of the noise.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    You know sram does not recommending re-using the PF30 cup right? as in, you remove them and they are done. That could cause some noise too I would imagine.
    Yep, I was rebuilding the bike this past Friday to ride over the long weekend. I had to reuse the sram adaptors that I had, but I added some green loctite. This actually enabled me to be able to tighten the BB cups to a much higher torque than the first time I pressed them in. I hope this der. hanger being loose and not mating to the frame tightly is the culprit. If so, I am just about dialed in on the replacement frame.

My gloves stink

Creaking victory

SO glad I found this thread. Like previous posters, I had severe, continuous, annoying and embarrassing creaking during high-torque, low cadence pedaling in the big cogs. I'd already cleaned and greased the cassette/freehub interface, so I knew that wasn't the problem.

After reading this thread, the first thing I did was check the hanger for looseness, and was disappointed to find it was tight. I took it off anyway and found the mating surfaces between the hanger and the frame were colored brown. Clearly some very fine dust taken up residence in there. I cleaned the surfaces and coated them with Teflon anti-seize.

While I was at it, I also disassembled and cleaned all the pivots. There was some contamination in there but nothing severe. The bearings were all in good condition.

I took her for a test spin today and hallelujah, problem solved- mostly. I still have some miscellaneous squeak/creaks during high-torque, low cadence pedaling, but it's 80% better (I think the residual creaking is from another, yet-to-be discovered source). I can't say whether the improvement is from the pivots or the hanger since I cleaned them both at the same time but if you're having creaking issues it's worth trying and not hard to do. BTW Niner is now recommending that pivot bolts be tightened to 10 Nm (the older bolts say 6).
    I dreamed I ate a 10 lb marshmallow. When I awoke, my pillow was gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Always seems like the BB gets blamed initially for creeks. Gotta say I've never found that as the problem. Not saying it can't be, just not in my experience. Today's bikes just seem to be creek amplifiers which makes it even more annoying.

What I've found, most of which have been mentioned. If anything has anything additional please add to the list.

• XX Cassette - never had the problem before 10 speed SRAM. Showing up a lot recently
    • Chainring bolt - Recently noticed it in the big ring but not the small ring
    • Skewers - they are loose or have grit in them
    • Pedals/Cleats - usually only one side creeks so easy to diagnose
    • Headset - Never had this myself but friends bikes have had creeks there.
    • Saddle/post - Easy to figure out as it still creeks when you stop pedaling or stop when you stand up.
    • Spokes - Once had a road bike where the spokes rubbed against each other and creeked. Little lube there and it stopped.
    • Derailleur Hanger - Never had that as an issue but adding since I see it in the thread.
    • Housing Ferules. This one drove me crazy for a while. Seems like nylon ferules would fix this so I kind of wonder why I had this issue.

mtbr member
    What kind of lube are y'all using on the Cassette? I always thought these were installed dry???
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    May 2007

Jet 9 Bearings ahead of BB

Quote Originally Posted by herothedog View Post
    I replace them when needed, which tends to be at about 16 months so far. For the most part I don't ride in wet conditions so that probably helps a lot. Although the last set of lower pivot bearings I went through seemed to be right after several surprisingly deep stream crossings (in which case my bb was shot as well).
    I'm looking at the second replacement of the lower, forward bearings (in front of the BB) on my Jet 9 in as many years. The other bearings seem to last longer - at least they haven't seized. The lower front bearings froze to the point where it loosened the pinch bolts and caused a creak under heavy torque. Re-tightening the bolt (red one) fixed the creak, but not the cause of the problem. I'm awaiting delivery of yet another pair of enduro bearings. The low and forward position of these bearings on Niners seems to make them very vulnerable to environmental damage. For as little as they move through the suspension travel, I wonder if bushings here wouldn't be more appropriate (perhaps bushings with grease nipples). I suppose bushings aren't very fashionable though.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008

under-load creaking - pivot bearings guilty - jet9 al

Hit everything mentioned previously mentioned for weeks. Finally resorted to the most time-consuming repair and pulled all the pivot bearings. The bearings themselves were fine, it was their seating in the frame. I don't know if they were too tight or too loose (probably too tight as I kept tightening them and this alleviated the problem temporarily), or just needed lube but I cleaned out all the frame seats, lightly greased and rebuilt more or less to torque specs. That did the trick - no more creaking.

Chris

little mad riding hood
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    I got my bike back from the shop tonight. They got all the rear suspension bearing replaced. Sounds like my old ones were completely shot and binding up. Anyone else have this on a Jet 9 RDO after two seasons?
    yes. my husband and I just replaced all the pivot bearings on our 2012 Jet 9 RDOs.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    My creak was the bottom bracket. Disassembled, cleaned, re packed with some grease and topped it off with a squirt of lubricating oil on the the "bearings(black plastic)"....silent now

mtbr member
    Oct 2013

Using different BB

I am looking to use a different BB for my Jet 9 RDO and the bike shop recommend Praxis Works Press Fit. somebody try this BB?
    Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2012
    it wont fit. The jet9 rdo has an aluminum insert in the bb shell that the praxis will not clear
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    it wont fit. The jet9 rdo has an aluminum insert in the bb shell that the praxis will not clear
    Not true, I've got the praxis works conversion bottom bracket on my jet 9 rdo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxpossum View Post
    Not true, I've got the praxis works conversion bottom bracket on my jet 9 rdo.
    do you used the Shimano one? or Sram?

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I have the one designed for use with shimano hollowtech cranks to PF30 frames. I have a xt crank on my bike.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by knoxpossum View Post
    I have the one designed for use with shimano hollowtech cranks to PF30 frames. I have a xt crank on my bike.
    I am using a Sram XX I think this will be fine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2