Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Jet 9 RDO - bottom bracket question

Does anyone know if the bottom bracket from Real World Cycling (the PF30 adapter for Shimano HT2) will fit in the Jet 9 RDO BB? I ask because of the issue with a small screw backer in the BB. I just ordered the frame and do not have it in hand yet.

It's this one:
    KCNC/RWC PF30 to HT2 BB Adapter with Enduro Bearings

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Just from eye-balling the inside of my BB shell, I don't think that converter will fit.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    yes it will. take off the cable guide, screw the screw back in, tap with a hammer until the threads pop out. Then chip away the glue on the inside. The cable guide pretty much holds it self in because of the cable tension. To be sure you can glue it in. I have the praxis adapter and this is what my bike shop did. The screw backer popped off pretty easy, the excess glue too a little while to remove.

mtbr member
    Thanks Danny!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    When I said it wouldn't fit, I guess I should have qualified that with, "without the use of a hammer"

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    When looking for an adapter to use my shimano cranks, I was highly recommended the praxis bb over the adapter from an extremely experienced mechanic. He mentioned less flex, less creaking and better reliability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    When looking for an adapter to use my shimano cranks, I was highly recommended the praxis bb over the adapter from an extremely experienced mechanic. He mentioned less flex, less creaking and better reliability.
    And did it work without having to modify anything in the BB shell?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    The Praxis adapter does indeed look like a nice option -- I actually bought one for my Jet 9 RDO -- but I really, really don't like the idea of chipping away at the inside of the BB shell to use it. I have not tried to install the Praxis unit yet as I don't have my Shimano cranks yet, but I do have a friend who has installed two of them without issue on RDOs. I can't understand how it didn't get hung up on the carbon "lump" in the shell but he said it pressed in easily. Maybe the "lump" carved a groove in the BB sleeve as it pressed in? I'm going to give it a try just because I have already invested in the BB. If I was buying again I'd just get the similar Race Face BB that should have no clearance issues.

PHS
    Rider
    Sep 2009
    I don't really see the need to use an adapter whereas you have to chip away the inner diameter of the bottom bracket shell to make it fit. I would never "chip away" at a carbon frame like that. Wonder if it would void the warranty if forbid it cracked around the shell.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    You're not chipping away at carbon. You're just removing the excess epoxy used to hold the backer of the screw threads which you popped out. The threads which are removed do not contribute at all to the structural integrity. The threads loosely fit in the hole in the bb and is held in by the epoxy in the bb. The advantages of the praxis adapter seem to far outweigh the disadvantages of removing the screw threads and epoxy. Call niner if you're worried, they probably say it wont void the warranty.

29ers Only.
    Yes, PHS - doing ANY of the mods described in this thread will void your warranty! Do not chip, hammer, scrape or bust anything out of your bottom bracket shell.

If you are looking for a good set of press-in adapter cups that don't void your warranty, check out the new Race Face PF30 adapters. They have a nice deep insertion and replace the cups (and need for an adapter) of your Shimano BB.

Quote Originally Posted by PHS View Post
    I don't really see the need to use an adapter whereas you have to chip away the inner diameter of the bottom bracket shell to make it fit. I would never "chip away" at a carbon frame like that. Wonder if it would void the warranty if forbid it cracked around the shell.

Passion. Commitment. 29ers only.

Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Then you need to have a serious conversation with your technical staff. After talking to praxis, they have the exact name of the niner technician who discussed and approved this mod with them. Considering the warranty is vague, and the mod was approved by someone at niner, I do not see how this voids the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Niner Bikes View Post
    Yes, PHS - doing ANY of the mods described in this thread will void your warranty! Do not chip, hammer, scrape or bust anything out of your bottom bracket shell.

If you are looking for a good set of press-in adapter cups that don't void your warranty, check out the new Race Face PF30 adapters. They have a nice deep insertion and replace the cups (and need for an adapter) of your Shimano BB.

mtbr member
    It's pretty obvious that doing any sort of alteration or mod to the frame will void your warranty. This is not a Niner thing. Any bike manufacturer will tell you the same thing and it's basically a rule of thumb.

As far as Praxis goes, I also spoke to them a while back and they did tell me that doing this mod would make the adapter work. However, they were very emphatic in letting me know that it would most certainly void my warranty with Niner. They leave this decision for the rider to make. Considering there are other options out there, I chose not to void my warranty. They also told me that they were working to make something 100% fully compatible with the RDO. This was a couple of months ago so I wouldn't be surprised if their next batch of adapters is slightly different in order to make it work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So If I buy an XTR build group for the jet RDO I need to buy this adaptor for the BB so the cranks fit? Do I still use the shimano bottom bracket with this?

mtbr member
    I still am not too crazy about the separate cups. You cannot face a CF frame like a metal one. There are still chances for the cups and bearings to be off from one another which is why I like the Praxis and RWC bottom brackets. Niner needs a different connection for the cable guide on the bottom bracket - not the other way around.

mtbr member
    Hi all, Praxis here...
    Exactly as Niner states and basically all frame manufactures state...ANY modification of a frame from its factory state will void your frame warranty. Always speak to your specific frame manufacture for exacts of your bike.

Praxis will NOT or EVER tell customers to 'Mod their Frame' to make our BB work. Further, we have never stated nor will state that ANY frame mods are 'Approved' by anyone. As another person stated above, we are VERY clear that Mod'ing a frame void most warranties.

Now, we of course get told and talk about Mods for certain frames out there as consumers/mechanics call/email in....We talk about what we've seen people do...how they did it, but ALWAYS with "Sure this might work as a Mod, but you'll want to talk with your Frame manufacturer as Mods generally void warranties...We can't tell you to do that..." We're very open and clear and real with people.

You can always call us and we'd be glad to talk live also.
    Thanks for reading!

Adam@Praxis
    Praxis Works
    Praxis Works
    Manufacturer
    Santa Cruz County, CA

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Can you tell me what I need for new xtr cranks, that raceface part is like $70

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    Can you tell me what I need for new xtr cranks, that raceface part is like $70
    Hey Bigdog... there is a page in the Niner Tech Encyclopedia that describes your options. Not sure which page, but download it from their website and check it out. The SRAM adapter is half the price and allows you to thread your XTR bb right in. I have been using this setup. SRAM Press Fit GXP Bottom Brackets 00.6415.049.010

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    JMH -- I have one of these SRAM adapters and may end up using on my incoming XTR cranks as well. Did you still need one 2.5mm spacer on the driveside?

thanks

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Yep, you still use the spacer since the plastic adapter is a "virtual" 73mm threaded BB shell

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    So you only use 1 spacer with this adaptor for the. Xtr cranks on drive side. Do I need a special adaptor for the fron xtr derailleur.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    On the tech spec is also says you cannot use XTR 2x10 on this frame? Say large chainring may hit frame, that sux.

Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Hey Bigdog... there is a page in the Niner Tech Encyclopedia that describes your options. Not sure which page, but download it from their website and check it out. The SRAM adapter is half the price and allows you to thread your XTR bb right in. I have been using this setup. SRAM Press Fit GXP Bottom Brackets 00.6415.049.010

mtbr member
    Quick bb question to add into the stream...is there any reason to epoxy the plastic PF cups into the bb shell? Was at a specialized shop yesterday, and they mentioned that they do that on Specialized bikes so they don't work loose or creak. I haven't seen anything on the niner site or forums to suggest doing the same, but it made me curious.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by DLine View Post
    Quick bb question to add into the stream...is there any reason to epoxy the plastic PF cups into the bb shell? Was at a specialized shop yesterday, and they mentioned that they do that on Specialized bikes so they don't work loose or creak. I haven't seen anything on the niner site or forums to suggest doing the same, but it made me curious.
    Seems like a somewhat dumb idea as this could make replacement a real headache. Since the cups and bearings are meant to replaced as a unit (at least for the SRAM PF30) so I can just see pieces of carbon fiber coming out along with the cups when they are removed from the frame.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    there is a few option if you want to use a 24mm Shimano crankset. i am currently using the XTR and had use the parlee PF30 Adapter cup for shimano but that didnt last me too long and since move to Race Face PF30 Adapters cup.. so far they been holding up well. but i keep my finger cross.
    another way it just use the sram PF30 and use the Mfgwheel adapter for the PF30 adapter . it very simple as well. i am using that for another bike of mine..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast