Thread: Jet 9 RDO BB

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Jet 9 RDO BB

I've got a Race Face PF30 Race Face installed on my bike and it been working great. The only problem is that I think the non drive side cup is starting to spin a little or slightly move. I've noticed it and have been watching the label and I swear its moving slightly. It doesn't affect my pedaling. Should I pop it out? Should I use Loctite on carbon? If I keep running it will it ruin the bottom bracket area?

mtbr member
    The only thing I've seen used on a PF bottom bracket cup is TFE paste. So far I have installed mine dry and not had any problems at all.

Someone recommended the FSA PF 30BB to me a while back and it has worked great and goes for ~ $35 with steel bearings.

PF 30s are hard to remove without causing damage to the cups, so if you really do have movement, you might want to think about getting a new one.

I can't imagine there being any possibility of movement causing damage to the shell. Maybe if your cranks were flopping around like a noodle, but the cups themselves are very soft and it would be near impossible for them to damage the shell.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thanks Brightsky. I was just worried that if the cups were spinning inside that it would bore a bigger hole. There's no movement in the crank arms that I can tell. I want to keep this frame and thinking about the future. At some point I'll need to change out that Bottom Bracket from normal wear, then I'll be hosed.

mtbr member
    It might do some damage if it was spinning at RPM, but I don't see how that would be possible without you feeling some serious resistance in the cranks.