meow

Jet 9 RDO- anyone using a King headset?

I'm about to pull the trigger on a '12 Jet 9 RDO, and am curious if there are any issues with using a Chris King Zero Stack headset? Also, I'll be using Shimano XT cranks, what's the best press-fit bottom bracket? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Cato View Post
    I'm about to pull the trigger on a '12 Jet 9 RDO, and am curious if there are any issues with using a Chris King Zero Stack headset? Also, I'll be using Shimano XT cranks, what's the best press-fit bottom bracket? Thanks!
    I'm using the top half of a King headset in my 2012 Jet 9 RDO. It's a fine headset and I expect it to last about 25 years...

Using Shimano cranks on a PF30 frame requires some kind of adapter. I use a SRAM plastic press-in thing with a CK external BB. Works fine with my XX cranks and I'm sure it would be fine with Shimano. I'm planning on switching to XTR cranks shortly and recently picked up the new Praxis Pf30/BB30 to Shimano adapter. Have not used it yet but it looks like an excellent product. Really nice construction and smart design. To me, it definitely looks like the best solution. It is a complete BB assembly though so hopefully the bearings are good for the long haul.

meow
    Thanks PlanB- what are you using for the bottom of the headset?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I have a Hope bottom half. This is only because the King headset I had was made for a straight steerer so the bottom would not work. I needed to buy a 1.5 bottom bearing/cup and the Hope was readily available and affordable.

King certainly makes a tapered Zero Stack that would work well. I just didn't have it.

mtbr member
    I have a 2012 Jet9RDO and am using a Chris King InSet 2 headset.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I'm using the Wheels Manufacturing BB30 adapters for my XT cranks and a SRAM PF-BB30. I only have about 300 miles on it but it seems to be working well.

Dirty South Underdog
    I've got the King headset. I normally stick to Cane Creek because they are a lot cheaper, high quality, and aren't stoned if you call customer service. However, I was being vain and really wanted one in gold.
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I am using a King headset on my Jet 9 RDO and it works great. No problems!

cheers
    Sep 2010
    So Chris King inset 2 works w 12' Jet RDO? I picked one up on mtbr and it doesn't fit, so I think the seller lied abt which inset type it was, as he stated it was inset 2.
    I don't know how to tell what inset 2 is supposed to look like

Thanks

meow
    Since first posting this, I found out that there are two head tube versions of the '12 Jet 9 RDO.

The v1.0 takes a zero stack headset, and will work with the King InSet 2 headset

The v1.1 takes an integrated headset like the Niner branded one that came with the original frame. Some people have said it's made by Cane Creek and others say FSA.

When I ordered it I didn't know this and got the v1.1 that only takes the integrated head set. I ordered the King headset at the same time, and when both came in we found out it didn't work with the integrated tube. The dealer didn't know this either, which IMO they should have. Once they figured it out Niner said they'd swap it out for a v1.0, of which I'm still waiting for.

Here's a link to the Niner Encyclopedia with the details, see page 29:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

Also see pg. 37 for diagrams of the two headset types.

Here's a pic of the Niner headset that it came with, below it the King zero stack 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO- anyone using a King headset?-2013-01-06_1436.jpg  

Attached Images Attached Images  

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would find a dealer that sells Niner and let them deal with all the technical gunk and just ride your bike but that is just me.

meow
    That's what I did, however the dealer didn't even know this stuff!!! Caveat emptor...do the research yourself cuz they don't always do or care to know.

cheers
    Sep 2010
    Thanks for the reply, that helps

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Any particular advantage to one over the other? I really like Chris King stuff and without knowing any better would assume that would be the better route to go. Thoughts?

cheers
    Sep 2010
    Having King stuff on your bike is already an advantage

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    chris king stuff makes women want you and fish fear you....

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I am also riding a Niner Jet 9 RDO 2012, and I'm in doubt which use tapered.

Searching on Ebay checked 3 tapered possible to use the bike, I need help saer which is the correct model.

New Cane Creek Angleset Headset Tapered ZS44 28 6 ZS56 30 MTB Uppers LOWERS | eBay

Cane Creek 40 Series Headset ZS44 28 6 ZS56 40 Black | eBay

FSA Orbit 1 5ZS Orbit 1 5ZS Tapered 8mm Econ for 44mm 56mm ID Headtube HEAD3152 | eBay

I count on your help to solve this problem.
    Remembering that I'll use a Rockshox XX Revolution 120mm

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    Quote Originally Posted by abnerbar View Post
    I am also riding a Niner Jet 9 RDO 2012, and I'm in doubt which use tapered.

Searching on Ebay checked 3 tapered possible to use the bike, I need help saer which is the correct model.

New Cane Creek Angleset Headset Tapered ZS44 28 6 ZS56 30 MTB Uppers LOWERS | eBay

Cane Creek 40 Series Headset ZS44 28 6 ZS56 40 Black | eBay

FSA Orbit 1 5ZS Orbit 1 5ZS Tapered 8mm Econ for 44mm 56mm ID Headtube HEAD3152 | eBay

I count on your help to solve this problem.
    Remembering that I'll use a Rockshox XX Revolution 120mm
    Specs for Niner headsets are on page 39 of this document:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    Thanks, but I checked the manual and I still have a doubt which of the 3 items I can buy Ebay.

Thanks, but I checked the manual and I still have a doubt which of the 3 items I can buy Ebay.
    None of the headsets you listed will work. 2012 Jet 9 RDO uses IS style headset rather than the ZS styles you listed.

Page 40 of that document goes into detail on the differences between IS and ZS headset and lists exactly the type needed:

INTEGRATED, TAPERED (IS STYLE)

TOP = 1-1/8 INTEGRATED (IS)
    45x45 41.8mm Angular Contact Bearing
    (Campy CF or Cane Creek ISi Standard)

BOTTOM = 1.5 INTEGRATED (IS)
    36x45 52mm Angular Contact Bearing
    (IS Standard)

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a 2012 and it takes a ZS headset. Basically look in the head tube. Is the inside of the tube totally flat or are there seats molded into the head tube for the bearings.

If your head tube looks like your bottom bracket (i.e. flat face) then you need the press in ZS headset. That is V 1.0 as stated above.

The cane creek 40 you list above will work if you have a 1.0..unless of course your steerer is not tapered.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I have a 2012 and it takes a ZS headset. Basically look in the head tube. Is the inside of the tube totally flat or are there seats molded into the head tube for the bearings.
    Since Niner officially doesn't have model years, I'm not sure if you can actually know what "year" your's is, except perhaps by serial number. According to Niner, Jet 9 RDOs 2012-Present use IS and 2011 use ZS style headsets.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    This is the frame I bought, unfortunately the person who sold me just informed me that bought this frame in 2012.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Jet 9 RDO- anyone using a King headset?-picture-1-.jpg  

Jet 9 RDO- anyone using a King headset?-picture.jpg  

This is the frame I bought, unfortunately the person who sold me just informed me that bought this frame in 2012.
    That's definitely the newer 2012 and later version frame which requires an IS headset. I have the same one, and it came from Niner with a Niner branded headset at no extra charge. If you didn't get one with the frame, I'd recommend having a chat with whoever sold it to you to find out why.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    Since Niner officially doesn't have model years, I'm not sure if you can actually know what "year" your's is, except perhaps by serial number. According to Niner, Jet 9 RDOs 2012-Present use IS and 2011 use ZS style headsets.
    Right, I know about the no-year model thing. What I didn't know was that the newer RDO was produced in 2012. I thought it came out in 2013.

I stand corrected.