mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Jet 9 RDO 1x10. Zee or XT rear mech?

Zee is short cage. XT is medium.
    Also is the xtr shifter worth it over the xt?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have 1x10 with 36t in the back on my J9 RDO. XT medium RD with XT shifters. Really can't imagine the need for XTR other than vanity.

mtbr member
    I run my Jet 9 RDO 1x10 with Sram X.0 shifters and RD type 2 medium cage FYI and think it's just safer to run it with a medium cage. But if you're talking shifter upgrades, it's normally more important to have a quality shifter than RD since the shifter preciseness dictates the movement of the RD.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by danny31292 View Post
    Zee is short cage. XT is medium.
    Also is the xtr shifter worth it over the xt?
    If you are going 1x10 why not use the shortest, stiffest, lightest RD?

You will find all mtb RD's handle the spread of gears on an mtb cassette up to 10 speed. Even though a lot of them say largest 34 tooth I have run X7 and X0 and XT on 36 tooth cassettes with no problem.

You only need to go to the medium cage RD if you are running 2x or 3x setups. The only thing a long cage gives you is the ability to use all possible gear combinations on a triple.

So I reckon go the Zee short cage for a 1x10 setup.

As others have said buy the best shifter you can afford as this makes more difference to the precision of the shift than the "dumb" RD that just does what its told. Is XTR worth the extra will be up to you and whether you can afford it. There was a recent post on my local mtbdirt.com.au forum where a rider said shifting (pun intended) to XTR shifters was the best upgrade they had done on their bike.

I have mostly used SRAM shifters for the last 5 or more years and almost always have run X0 shifters even if the derailleurs were a lower spec.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I ended up with the zee and xt shifter. HOLY CRAP. So much crisper and precise than my old xt derailleur and slx shifter. The double upshift is so useful. When in the 36t cog there is a bit of resistance when back pedaling due to the fully stretched derailleur. Overall its way better than I was expecting.

mtbr member
    I would go with XTR or Zee due to problems with the XT clutch. Mine broke after just a couple months and there is a thread on the drive train forum about these issues. You can still shift with busted cam and Shimano will warranty it but I don't think they have the XT rd problem solved and if you want trouble free go with the others.