mtbr member
    Oct 2009

Jet 9: New RDO or Carbon

There doesn't seem to be any differences between the new rdo and jet 9c other than the maxle and carbon rocker to offset the added wt. I really like the 142 x 12 axle but would it be noticeable on a carbon frame and worth the added coin?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    And the current colour schemes

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Yes. Anyone know if more options for either frame are on the way?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    There doesn't seem to be any differences between the new rdo and jet 9c other than the maxle and carbon rocker to offset the added wt. I really like the 142 x 12 axle but would it be noticeable on a carbon frame and worth the added coin?
    The shock is not the same & the shock has a needle roller bearing at the top also.

It all comes down to money, I'm getting a new Green Jet9 RDO ( I have carbon wheels for it already )

I would rather have a Jet9 Carbon with a top end wheel set ( carbon ) than a New Jet9 RDO with a cheaper wheel set because you spent extra on the frame.

Hope this helps.

I have the current Jet9 RDO & I'm not expecting to notice added stiffness in the frame.

The wheel set you choose will make a bigger difference IMO, However I do like 142 x 12

mtbr member
    If I had the funs I'd go with an RDO deal, they didn't end up changing a lot of things on the 'Carbon' version because "if it's not broken, don't fix it"

Early RDO's rock, Carbon looks great but I even rather the RDO colors
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Very helpful - thank you.

Always good advise to consider upgrading the wheel build. Looking forward to your comments once you have had time on the new RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The shock is not the same & the shock has a needle roller bearing at the top also.

It all comes down to money, I'm getting a new Green Jet9 RDO ( I have carbon wheels for it already )

I would rather have a Jet9 Carbon with a top end wheel set ( carbon ) than a New Jet9 RDO with a cheaper wheel set because you spent extra on the frame.

Hope this helps.

I have the current Jet9 RDO & I'm not expecting to notice added stiffness in the frame.

The wheel set you choose will make a bigger difference IMO, However I do like 142 x 12

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    apparently all the bits on the RDO will be available for the carbon obviously at an extra cost

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    apparently all the bits on the RDO will be available for the carbon obviously at an extra cost
    Yes that would be the carbon rockers & you could buy the shock I guess but you cant make the rear triangle 142 x 12

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Sounds like a great frame either way, looking forward to a demo next week on a 2012.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I would guess the new RDO is much stiffer but stupid expensive.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes that would be the carbon rockers & you could buy the shock I guess but you cant make the rear triangle 142 x 12

Maybe im misreading bikerumors report or theyve got the info wrong....

BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY: Already have a Jet 9 RDO? Donít worry, youíll be able to retrofit both the carbon rocker arm and the 12◊142 rear triangle on your frame if you want. And, if youíre on a budget now, you can get the Jet 9 Carbon and upgrade those same bits later, too.

Niner Unveils Updated Jet 9 RDO, Adds Jet 9 Carbon - Bike Rumor

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Maybe im misreading bikerumors report or theyve got the info wrong....

BACKWARD COMPATIBILITY: Already have a Jet 9 RDO? Donít worry, youíll be able to retrofit both the carbon rocker arm and the 12◊142 rear triangle on your frame if you want. And, if youíre on a budget now, you can get the Jet 9 Carbon and upgrade those same bits later, too.

Niner Unveils Updated Jet 9 RDO, Adds Jet 9 Carbon - Bike Rumor
    No you didn't miss read it, He just wasn't thinking.

Yes you could buy a rear Triangle, Shock & rockers to fit your / My RDO but the rear triangle will be the wrong colour & the only thing you wouldn't be buying is the front tringle.

So it would cost much more than it would cost to see the current frame & replace it with the new frame & that is what I am doing.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Bottom line then .... It's gonna be a kickass bike in either spec I'm still hoping they'll make the (new) RDO in Moondust