Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Twin Six METAL Team

JET 9/JET 9 RDO - What don't you like?

OK, I'm pretty much a Ninerd like everyone on here, and would probably buy Niner bottled water if they sold it. However....

What don't you like about the JET 9 and JET 9 RDO? I seem to read all of the good, but not the bad. What are the shortfalls? Is the cost difference for the RDO really worth it for an extra 1/2" of travel and 1.5 lbs in weight savings? How reliable is the carbon? This is important, as I've had two friends who have warrantied their CA9 frames in the last month due to cracks.

About me...

I'm in the process of moving from Omaha to Colorado Springs, and I've narrowed my new bike choice down to these two bikes due to my riding style and future plans. I've looked at the RIP, and it does not suit my style of riding....or would it? Who knows...

I've ridden my singlespeed SIR out there a few times this year, and loved it. However, I'm looking at doing some longer races (LT100, Silver Rush 50, Breck, Dakota 5-0, etc) over the next couple of years, and would like some gears and little cushion.

Thanks!
    Last edited by chrisgardner73; 11-07-2011 at 06:46 AM.

mtbr member
    I think I may have been the first U.S. customer to take delivery of an RDO. I got it on a Monday, built it up by Tuesday and raced the Steamboat Stinger that weekend. I did several XC races at Winter Park on it as well, unfortunately delivery was far enough along into the season that I only had about 3-4 races on it. Although, I'll be racing the RDO in Tx in a couple of weeks.

I have crashed hard a couple of times in races, taken some rather large rocks bouncing off it. In non-race situations I am faster on the RDO than on my A9C in almost all situations. For me the RDO fits me and my riding very well, so well others have noticed a huge increase in my ability. One race buddy who I've had trouble keeping up with on descents in the past actually had trouble keep up with me for a change!

As for the concern with carbon, the RDO has a 5 year warranty, and Niner expects people to race on their bikes. So, from that standpoint I have no worries... Having broken two frames in crashes the past two years, an Intense Spider 29 and a Jet 9, I have no additional worries about the RDO carbon. IMO, no matter the frame material all bets are off in a crash. Niner was great with helping in crash replacement of my Jet 9 too. All my MTB bikes are carbon now (A9C, A9C SS, RDO) and I ride and race them all hard.

The only little nit I have with the RDO is with the cable ferrel in the routing chuck in the bottom bracket. It seems the cable end may move ever so slightly and it makes a bit of noise. This is only noticeable when riding pavement though and pedaling hard (I usually start all my MTB rides from home and have about 10miles of pavement to get to dirt).

A non-Niner nit is with the SID XX WC fork. With the carbon steerer I've had the stem loosen up a bit (FSA OS99), this with using the proper torque on the clamp and carbon grip. I jammed even more carbon grip in and I think that did the trick, time will tell.

So, nope. I can't think of any substantial concerns about the RDO. It is by far my favorite ride (well I really like me SS these days). It will be my primary race bike for next year. In fact I am not sure what races I would consider my A9C HT at this point since the RDO is only about 1 lbs heavier and I seem to ride it better and faster...!

mtbr member
    Wow, I totally agree! I have the RDO I have put over 400 race miles on mine so far, I just wrapped up a 24 hour race yesterday. That bike has put me on the podium every single race! It is absolutely amazing! I also have the A9C. It is amazing as well, but I always seem to grab my RDO instead. I have no issues or complaints, what so ever! It is worth the extra money

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have had the Jet9, Rip9 & RDO & I'm not that keen on racing,

I realy like the RDO & it is a very good all rounder.

I really rate the RDO for a do it all bike & find that I don't get the feeling I used to with the RIP9 & Jet9 were I would often wish I was on the other bike.

Purveyor of Fine 29erness
    I got my RDO at the end of July, and have some solid time on the bike. I like the lightness of it (24lbs). It climbs amazingly well. Lateral stiffness is impressive, I found that trying to climb technical turny low speed trails was just a matter of rolling your hips back and putting the front end where you wanted it to go. The suspension is fantastic, and the 4" of travel feels bottomless. Mine is set up as an XC bike, 100mm fork, low front end and is pretty capable. I think with a 120mm fork, this bike would be amazing. I might break down and get a Fox Talas 100/120 for it next year.
    My only complaint with the bike is that setting the cables up was a bit of a pain, but since they have stretched out I have not had to futz about with it further.
    It isnt really the same bike as the aluminum Jet, which is also a very good and capable bike. Many of my local customers have that as their one FS bike.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
    My only complaint with the bike is that setting the cables up was a bit of a pain, but since they have stretched out I have not had to futz about with it further.
    I agree, the internal cable routing gave me fits for a bit. The hardest piece for me to get run was the full length internal cabling through the chainstay. It was a tough job for one person to do as measuring the housing pieces from the bars to the headtube, then dropping the fork out, then putting it back in, etc was tedious without someone to help. With two people I think it would go quicker.

I've only got limited time on mine but I'm a big fan already. On my first ride, I went to a trail that I've ridden a lot for the last several years. I figured I'd be faster on it heading up compared to my Turner 5Spot, and I was, but the thing that surprised me was that I was faster on the 4 mile downhill on my first ride on this bike then I had ever gone on my 5Spot with coil shock, 150mm fork, 2.4 tires, etc. I still haven't gotten my head around that yet, but I'm excited to get back out on this bike when the snow melts...

Purveyor of Fine 29erness
    Quote Originally Posted by Jdub View Post
    I agree, the internal cable routing gave me fits for a bit. The hardest piece for me to get run was the full length internal cabling through the chainstay. It was a tough job for one person to do as measuring the housing pieces from the bars to the headtube, then dropping the fork out, then putting it back in, etc was tedious without someone to help. With two people I think it would go quicker.
    Having set up a few A9Cs, I found running the cables into the headtube to be pretty straight forward. I cut both pieces of housing the same length and run the left shifter into the right hole etc. The rear stay piece was a bit trickier, but I managed to get it right the first time. I disconnected the rear shock, ran a longish piece of housing but not the inner cable, and actuated the swingarm, clipping the housing shorter and shorter until the swingarm would move freely without putting any sharp kinks in the housing. Then I ran the inner wire and dialed in the rear derailleur. My main gripe was that there is no way to physically pre-stretch the cables once they were run, meaning the first few days I would always have to be monkeying with the cable tension during rides. It's all good now though!

mtbr member
    After riding and racing my Jet 9 this year my complaints are that the size small is very hard to get bottles in, cleaning it after muddy rides/races takes some time since there are a lot of tight places for mud to get stuck in, and also lastly was when the shop I purchased it from built it up they installed the crankset/bb with no spacers and it was loosening up severly after less than 5 minutes of riding. The Jet 9 is 68mm and the rest of the Niner bikes are 73mm. Once the spacers were installed there have been no more issues. This is more the shops fault, but also strange that it was the only frame made with a 68mm bottom bracket shell. There must be a reason behind it though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Own a Jet9 and an A9C and have nothing but good things to say about the ride, the geometry, the handling. Certainly the Jet9 doesn't climb like an A9C but better than the few FS bikes I've ridden. I've ridden the RDO and loved it.

Only complaint about the Niner Carbon bikes is that internal cable routing. It's not really a problem for a good mechanic but a cable change should just be a trivial task. Not bad enough to make me want to sell my A9C and provide some internal sleeve so cables are routed easier or external cable stops and I'll own an RDO.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I wish the large was a 19" with a 24" top tube. The sizing is small for the medium and large for the large.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Internal cable routing tested my patience when i had to shorten the front housing. Other than that the bike is amazing.

mtbr member

Housing lengths - please

Quote Originally Posted by The Monkey View Post
    Having set up a few A9Cs, I found running the cables into the headtube to be pretty straight forward. I cut both pieces of housing the same length and run the left shifter into the right hole etc. The rear stay piece was a bit trickier, but I managed to get it right the first time. I disconnected the rear shock, ran a longish piece of housing but not the inner cable, and actuated the swingarm, clipping the housing shorter and shorter until the swingarm would move freely without putting any sharp kinks in the housing. Then I ran the inner wire and dialed in the rear derailleur. My main gripe was that there is no way to physically pre-stretch the cables once they were run, meaning the first few days I would always have to be monkeying with the cable tension during rides. It's all good now though!
    A very nice contribution to the discussion would be the exact lengths of housing, especially for the BB to chain stay.
    Did you cross the wires in the bottom tube? Normally the BB cable stop is left side for the front der, going to the left shifter.
    No dear, it is not dangerous ...

mtbr member

RDO on stand, still ...

Have the frame on the stand two weeks, waiting for some parts to come in and finish the build. Have a Niner SIR 1x9 and a Lynskey Ridgeline SS, I expect the RDO to claim the crown jewel of my harem.
    Judging from what we're hearing here, we have issues with the cable routing.
    I agree it looks a bit messy, IMO it is a necessary evil. One of the reasons I picked the RDO over the TB was internal routing. My RDO came in with cable guides, so I have little to complain in this dept.
    I don't like the fact that there's no routing for an adjustable post. This bike crosses the line between JET and RIP, many folks will use this bike as their one bike for AM as well. Especially with a 120mm fork.
    I don't like the rear brake cable routing hanging kinda loose near the rear shock. Apart of the aesthetics, may have issues securing the bike with my Thule roof rack.
    I am worried the titanium plates guarding against chain suck and chain drop may come off - they seem glued to the frame with a less than German tolerance in 3D matching.
    I'm an engineer, I am picky

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronunu View Post
    A very nice contribution to the discussion would be the exact lengths of housing, especially for the BB to chain stay.
    Did you cross the wires in the bottom tube? Normally the BB cable stop is left side for the front der, going to the left shifter.
    In about an hour when my son goes to bed I will write what I have doe as I have set mine & my wifes RDO different to mine.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Liking my Jet9, the only real issue for me is the pork, between the ergons, time atac's, comfy seat and ztr flow's w/ 2.25" snakeskin schwalbe's it scales at 29lb 2oz. If the RDO will fit the budget I would go that way probably, keeping in mind I haven't ridden one, even if it means compromising the build a bit otherwise.

I did LT100, Laramie Enduro and Dakota Five-0 on my Jet9 this year, it makes the Five-0 fun for sure but was way, way way too much bike for the LT100.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronunu View Post
    Hi
    With my wife RDO, I run the RH shifter cable into the right hand side of the name plate & left to left.
    With my RDO I run the right hand cable to the LH side & LH cable to right hand side & the inners cross over in the down tube.

Both systems work good but I think mine looks better & would not give the same problems in a crash if the bars were spun around. ( also not that with RH to RH etc it helps to have wide bars & don't cut the cables to short.

The outer cables on my bike (680mm Wide bars ) are 300mm long & the rear outer is 560mm long with a sram derailiuer, I hope this helps.
    ( Note this will not be the same with a shimano setup. )

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by evilsjg View Post
    Liking my Jet9, the only real issue for me is the pork, between the ergons, time atac's, comfy seat and ztr flow's w/ 2.25" snakeskin schwalbe's it scales at 29lb 2oz. If the RDO will fit the budget I would go that way probably, keeping in mind I haven't ridden one, even if it means compromising the build a bit otherwise.

I did LT100, Laramie Enduro and Dakota Five-0 on my Jet9 this year, it makes the Five-0 fun for sure but was way, way way too much bike for the LT100.
    The Jet9 is a great bike & pedals well, The weight of the Jet9 never really worried me that much because you could build it lighter it just cost more.

The only real problem for me on the trail was that under very hard braking the rear end didn't have the grip / stopping power i was used to with the Rip9 & often riding both hard on the same day I would often have some worrying moments on the Jet9 with almost over shooting corners.

I would for my riding rather ride a X9 build RDO than a XX build Jet9.
    Not that the Jet9 isn't a good bike but the RDO just works awesome.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love my Jet 9.
    Whish it was lighter.
    The lock out lever is hard to reach on the fly.
    Have it build 1x9 with a road compact 34T crank.

mvi
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Oh , O forgot. I do have pedal strikes occaisionally, but it might be I,m just not used to FS bikes.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi View Post
    Love my Jet 9.
    Whish it was lighter.
    The lock out lever is hard to reach on the fly.
    Have it build 1x9 with a road compact 34T crank.
    If you are talking about the RP23 rear shock, it's not a lock out lever. It's a lever to turn Pro Pedal on or off.

The new Scott Spark 29"er upper end models have a left hand lever that allows you to lock out the front and rear shock at the flip of a lever, another flip gives you 70% of travel and is called "traction" mode, and one more flip is fully open for both front and rear suspension.

I don't think I would want to lock out the rear of my JET as the suspension does a lot for traction and keeps the rear wheel glued to the trail. Maybe for pavement climbs or very hard packed, smooth dirt climbs a rear lockout may be okay - but not a need where I ride since sustained climbs are certainly not what they are in the mountains.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I would for my riding rather ride a X9 build RDO than a XX build Jet9..
    +1

Or even an X7 build if it meant nicer wheels.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mvi View Post
    Oh , O forgot. I do have pedal strikes occaisionally, but it might be I,m just not used to FS bikes.
    That's either technique or you are running an 80mm fork and small tires. The Jet has an amazingly (and awesomely) high bottom bracket.

COTA member
    A medium Jet 9 RDO built with SRAM X9 2x10 comes in at 25# (w/o pedals). Stan's Arch Ex wheels. Rockshox SID XX. My medium Jet 9 aluminum with X7/Arch EX/Reba RL is 28# (w/o pedals).

mtbr member
    Thanks Muzz,
    Am running X0 all the way, did not think about crossing the wires even though I agree it looks better. Somehow in my mind I've been imagining additional friction of the cables against the stops and against each other. OTOH, the front housing has a slacker bend which contributes to a better friction loss and longer lasting in frame cable stop.
    I'll try that
    Last edited by Ronunu; 11-11-2011 at 01:09 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    The only thing I don't like about my RDO is how much time I have to wait between rides. This bike is Awesome. climbs great and flys downhill. The RDO has elevavted my riding skills in a huge way.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast