Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Always Learning

JET 9 Carbon coming in Tamale Red...

I was looking at the Niner website this morning and see they have added the Tamale color for the JET 9 Carbon frame....

JET9CarbonTamale

mtbr member
    Saw that last week as well, looks pretty killer! I like color, so nice to see something besides Moondust.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I've never had a bright-colored frame before, but damn that looks nice! As long as a rider doesn't feel the need of rear thru-axle (Jet9 RDO), I'd guess the Jet9 Carbon offers the best bang-for-buck regarding xc full suspension bikes ....

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    I've never had a bright-colored frame before, but damn that looks nice! As long as a rider doesn't feel the need of rear thru-axle (Jet9 RDO), I'd guess the Jet9 Carbon offers the best bang-for-buck regarding xc full suspension bikes ....
    I've been riding my entire life without a thru-axle on the rear, so figure I'm still good to go in that regard. Especially with carbon rims and riding buff XC here in the Midwest. I guess ditto for up front as a QR does fine by me.

Unfortunately, since I'm still stuck in the dark ages with my cranks and BB - it would be a very expensive proposition to upgrade to a new frame. I like the looks of the new XXI, but that would add about $1200 to the price of the frame for the upgrade.

Still waiting to see what comes along in the alloy JET version for an update. But this Tamale Red carbon frame is pretty attractive (compared to the orange, green, white, black, raw, moondust grey, etc... colored JET frames). Should have sold my Apple shares at $700....and bought one of these candy apple red frames!!!!!

I got nothin'
    That is sexy! So is Niner renaming the old RDO (2012 and earlier) as the Jet 9 Carbon and selling the new RDO with the thru axle now? Seems to me the only differences between the two, except for the price of course.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Carbon rocker as well. . But yeah, not much different. That's why I took advantage of the deals on the v1, as the upgrades don't mean much in MN, and the riding I do.

mtbr member
    Oops, and rear shock. . (Carbon vs new RDO)

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Oops, and rear shock. . (Carbon vs new RDO)
    Yup - all of that (rockers, shock, and rear axle).

Then the other question is whether or not the Tamale Red will be available as a frame only purchase, or will it be like the moondust grey version - only available as a complete bike?

If it was frame only, I could build my XL out at 23.x pounds with what I already have plus going to 1 x 11 with the SRAM XX1 (using a 34T ring) drivetrain.

Then again, the RDO is available as frame only. But alas, all the size XL deals are sold out and I'm too tall to ride a size L.

mtbr member
    And look pretty damn nice with those Rovals!

I got nothin'
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    Carbon rocker as well. . But yeah, not much different. That's why I took advantage of the deals on the v1, as the upgrades don't mean much in MN, and the riding I do.
    Ah, that makes since. That is why one of the bike mags stated that the V.1 could be upgraded to the V.2 rear end.
    I ride at ludicrous speed

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That is a beauty of a frame. As the owner of a V1 Jet9 RDO I'm sure the Jet9 Carbon would ride awesome and you could always send the shock to Push or somebody if you wanted more tune ability.

I'm not sold on the CTD forks so I don't know how much I would like the CTD shock either on the Jet9 RDO.
    Last edited by azpoolguy; 01-27-2013 at 07:07 AM.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    That is a beauty of a frame. As the owner of a V1 Jet9 RDO I'm sure the Jet9 Carbon would ride awesome and you could always send the shock to Push or somebody if you wanted more tune ability.

I'm not sold on the CTD forks so I don't know how much I would like the CTD shock either on the Jet9 RDO.
    Remind me, what's the difference in the rear shock on the JET 9 Carbon and the JET 9 RDO (besides Kashima coating)? Is there something the rear shock on the JET 9 Carbon won't do (I guess I would be comparing to the shocks I have on my JET 9 and my RIP 9 - RP23's).

BB

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The shock on the Jet9 RDO as discribed on Niner's web site-Tuned for CVA Fox float CTD shock with Kashima coating.

The Jet9 Carbon gets-Tuned for CVA -Fox Float CTD Evolution shock.

After looking at the Fox website it looks like the difference is the Kashima coating and the three position trail adjust in the trail mode if CTD on the Jet9 RDO.

I have the 2013 Fox Factory Series 120mm Fit CTD fork on my V1 2012 Jet9 RDO. I wish I had the older RLC Fit cartridge with individual adjustment for everything then the preset factory CTD tune. I run my shock in Propedal 1 and my fork in Trail "2" and never touch it while riding.

The shock on the Jet9 Carbon will be closer to your shocks on the Rip and Jet but you might have less Propedal adjustment with the CTD shock.

mtbr member
    Good question, thanks for the answer.

That color looks hot, I like it. I have an investment in three or four wheelsets across two bikes with a QR rear. I was really looking forward to getting a v1 RDO in all black but those are probably all gone now.

I don't see the Tamale Red as an official color in the specs yet, but I do hope it can be bought frame-only because I'd like to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    The shock on the Jet9 RDO as discribed on Niner's web site-Tuned for CVA Fox float CTD shock with Kashima coating.

The Jet9 Carbon gets-Tuned for CVA -Fox Float CTD Evolution shock.

After looking at the Fox website it looks like the difference is the Kashima coating and the three position trail adjust in the trail mode if CTD on the Jet9 RDO.

I have the 2013 Fox Factory Series 120mm Fit CTD fork on my V1 2012 Jet9 RDO. I wish I had the older RLC Fit cartridge with individual adjustment for everything then the preset factory CTD tune. I run my shock in Propedal 1 and my fork in Trail "2" and never touch it while riding.

The shock on the Jet9 Carbon will be closer to your shocks on the Rip and Jet but you might have less Propedal adjustment with the CTD shock.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I have the V.1 & V.2 Jet9 RDO & to me the CTD shock seems more like a shock desined to help bikes with bad suspenion get around there problems.

It doesn't mean I don't like it on the Jet9 RDO, more that it isn't really an upgrade as such.

The Shock on the V.1 Jet9 RDO is much more of a set & forget & it will work great everywhere, Making the bike feel a bit more like a Rip9.

The shock on the V.2 Jet9 RDO has more modes to play with & has made the V.2 a little bit more like the Jet9 alloy & I guess makes it alittle more racey.

The CTD shock IMO has moved the JET9 RDO awayjust alittle from what the Rip9 RDO is meant to be.

Either way I don't feel like you would be missing out on much.

V2 abit more flickable & V1 a little more grip.

Just my 2 c from what I have felt about the bikes without a true back to back on the same trails on the same day.

Maybe I will do some true back to back in a couple of weels as I have some new forks coming & will be able to run both bikes with the same forks & wheel sets on the same day.

mtbr member
    FYI, I am working with the Jet 9 alloy again this season. Got the bearings replaced with hybrid ceramincs and the 3" RP23 Pushed for racing. Sitting at 23.5lbs in size XL, so to drop a pound from that would be sweet.

I just wasn't quite ready for a new frame yet this Spring. When I buy new I'd like to couple it with XX1 and a few other parts that really aren't yet fleshed out on the market.

Really glad that Niner is keeping the v1 RDO around as the Jet 9 carbon, especially with a much more appealing color.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by chomxxo View Post
    Really glad that Niner is keeping the v1 RDO around as the Jet 9 carbon, especially with a much more appealing color.
    Still no word on if it will be available as a frame only choice. Nothing but the sound of crickets from Niner on that question on their Facebook page to date...

EDIT: Niner responded and said that yes, the Tamale Red will be available as a frame only purchase and that they should be arriving "soon".
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 02-01-2013 at 02:34 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    That is beautiful, where can I trade a kidney or a soul for one?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    That is beautiful, where can I trade a kidney or a soul for one?
    So what do you think. White fork? Black fork? What will look good with this frame?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    So what do you think. White fork? Black fork? What will look good with this frame?
    Tough call.

I would go white to match the Niner decals. Plus I have a white Reba XX 20mm TA tapered currently reduced from 120mm to 100mm that would go on there very nicely if I upgraded from my Jet 9 alloy.

The killer is the very high cost of Niner dually frames in the land of Oz (over $3000). I got the Jet9 alloy second hand for $750 and it currently serves me really well when I want to ride a geared dually.

My SIR9 commuter is hot tamale with a black carbon fork and that looks good too. But it has silver decals so there is no white on the frame. I have a white carbon fork too but holding it next to the frame it wasn't as good a match.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    Tough call.

I would go white to match the Niner decals. Plus I have a white Reba XX 20mm TA tapered currently reduced from 120mm to 100mm that would go on there very nicely if I upgraded from my Jet 9 alloy.

The killer is the very high cost of Niner dually frames in the land of Oz (over $3000). I got the Jet9 alloy second hand for $750 and it currently serves me really well when I want to ride a geared dually.

My SIR9 commuter is hot tamale with a black carbon fork and that looks good too. But it has silver decals so there is no white on the frame. I have a white carbon fork too but holding it next to the frame it wasn't as good a match.
    White was sort of on my mind. The Tamale RIP looks good with the black fork and all the black trim (wheels/post/stem/bars/saddle). I could see it working both ways but without seeing a picture of one with a fork...

Tamale RIP9

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Niner's probably gonna have some tamale SID forks available as well.

mtbr member
    This red Jet9 RDO looks great. I much prefer the solid colored frames over the two tone frames. The two tone colors schemes always looked a little over the top for me, although, in person, the two tone does look slightly better than the pics.

And, IMO, white forks look terrible.
    I only ride bikes to fill the time when I'm not skiing.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHouseMan View Post

And, IMO, white forks look terrible.
    Sometimes you don't get a colour choice with a fork purchase. I wanted a black 120mm fork with 20mm axle for my latest (non Niner) build and the best I could get was white and 15mm axle (unless I paid double for a Fox).

mtbr member
    Wahoo! Niner has recently consented to selling the J9C as frame-only. Got mine ordered.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast