Moosehead

J9RDO - Great Googlie Mooglie

Like others, I was both enthralled and skeptical about the over-the-top glowing reviews of the J9RDO. Hard to tell if it is just hype or something real. Closeout pricing on the 2012 made it easy in a NFB kinda way. In short, Muzz and other Niner Nation fans are not exaggerating. Light, stiff, quiet, stable, snappy, forgiving, and most impressive – versatile.

I’m just an aging plugger and clyde, with multiple major surgeries. Still riding trail and suffering through CO elevation climbs while proudly carrying the red lantern. Most recently coming off of 26” Turners, both DWL and horst links. Haven’t had a big wheel since kindergarten.

Literally finished the build the day before the maiden voyage at 18 hours of Fruita. Regardless, all felt intuitive. The course is relatively easy, middle ring type stuff, but it is stocked full of linked turns and berms, none of which displayed any of the reported “shortcomings” of slow steering. The J9RDO was a blast to ride set up firmly, railed turns, and held on to a dusty, sandy surface at speed with no OTB’s. That said, this course was not technically demanding even for yours truly, a Schwinn Varsity with 32mm knobbies would have been fine. The J9RDO was pleasing after 7 laps and 49 total miles, but I was jonesing for the Western Slopes’ best technical trails instead of an event.

Finally got to ride the horse on a typical CO front range route, which includes 1,800’ of elevation gain in 3 miles, raggedy switchbacks, waterbars, combo of speed buff and rock gardens, and a ripping turnabout downhill. For this average joe, it is an hour climb and 20 minute downhill toboggan return, maybe faster if not for Sunday traffic. While no magical PR’s were logged, or previously impossible tech puzzles cleaned for the first time, I’d describe the experience as one of the most enjoyable outings on a ride that I’ve done probably 150 times on 5+ different bikes over the years. Didn’t miss any nasty switchbacks up or down, didn’t get hung up through rock, and didn’t once wish for any number of dialed in 26” bikes. Heck, even manuals and small air came naturally. The only downside was misjudging the considerable speed carried downhill, which caused a few, late fistfuls of brake grab, but in a grin-inducing good way. In this case, a 120mm fork, 2.2 Conti MK’s, 24/38 front rings, Cytoe armor, and 711mm bar with 75mm stem make the J9RD0 a first-class, arse-kicking, trail weapon.

Thumbsup for the CVA rear suss (not all dual links are created equal), carbon architecture, geo, and big wheels. I’ll need more time on it for a detailed review and will soften certain suss settings for trail, but immediately the 29” wheels felt right. There was no yearning for slacker head angles, shorter chainstays, more travel, or whatnot. While many manufacturers are putting out great bikes, IMO, Niner gets huge kudos for the J9RDO. In addition to their detailed Encyclopedia, Ralph at Niner cheerfully and quickly sent both the shift kit and lower shock mount shims at no cost, and they also seem to fully back warranty needs throughout this board. Coming from Turner’s stellar CS, looks like Niner is focused on being at the same level.

First ride, first lap, at night, in an event.

Events are just attempts at fitness, cause I aint gonna win anything, even on roids.

CO Climb

One fine trailbike despite its moniker.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good to see you are loving your new bike.

mtbr member
    I hear you in the amount of speed carried. I have caught myself needing to grab "hand full of brakes" way to often in the past 3 weeks.

Congrats on the fine new ride.

Moosehead
    There's a lot to like about this bike, but the CVA suss may be the most impressive. I'll be able to compare it back to back to my Turner Spot DW link 5" trail bike in a week or so, but IME there are subtle differences in dual link setups that seem to have big impacts on platform, antisquat, pedal kickback, and chaingrowth. I'm not an engineer, but just looking at various dual links, both the CVA and Turner DWL setups have the lower links angled slightly downward at static state, while others such as VPP, Maestro, and the Pivot/Ibis links are horizontal or set up higher over the BB.

As a Clyde suffering extended CO ascents I tend to spend lots of time with Granny, so notice the antisquat pedalling benefits, and any bobbing or kickback. The CvA and Turner DWL seem to me to have it dialed despite CvA bottom link mounted to the downtube below the BB and the Turner lower link being mounted aft of the BB. While I favor these two setups, at least initially, the CVA feels a bit firmer, though that may just be a difference in 100mm vs 140mm travel, not sure.

Note to self: stop wonking out and just go enjoy this thing on the dirt.

USED2COULD
    I loved your opening paragraph. I ordered mine on spec and lust, and a few preliminary magazine reviews. The significant amount of Internet masterbation surrounding owner reviews (including my own) of the J9RDO often makes me wonder how much salt the uninitiated must take along with the praise. Haha
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    May 2005
    My XL black (also with white fork) is at the LBS now and should be built up in 4-5 days. My main ride currently, is a 2012 Superfly Elite 100 carbon, so am very interested to see/feel how they compare.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    My XL black (also with white fork) is at the LBS now and should be built up in 4-5 days. My main ride currently, is a 2012 Superfly Elite 100 carbon, so am very interested to see/feel how they compare.
    Interesting, with such a new ride, what has influenced the change / quiver addition?
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    Interesting, with such a new ride, what has influenced the change / quiver addition?
    It's an addition. Several months ago I had a carbon Highball built up and found it too stiff (for me), so swapping over the majority of components to the Jet9rdo.

Moosehead

Looking forward to riding my beloved 5" trail bike this weekend to see how much new toy bias I may be guilty of exhibiting, That said, part of me is fearful that the 26er gathers dust in neglect. The Horror.

mtbr member
    Yes Sir, I sold my ASR5 and can't even make myself get on my road bike since buying the J9RDO.
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Looking forward to riding my beloved 5" trail bike this weekend to see how much new toy bias I may be guilty of exhibiting, That said, part of me is fearful that the 26er gathers dust in neglect. The Horror.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Yes Sir, I sold my ASR5 and can't even make myself get on my road bike since buying the J9RDO.
    One of the guys that has just started riding with us has a Trance X 29er & he was having gear changing problems the other night, I said swap bikes & I will see if I can sort it for you.

When we stopped at the other end of the trail he just looked at me and said, your a Bastard.

He really liked the Jet9 RDO.

Moosehead

Loved riding my 140m trail bike with burly high volume rubber on some chunky and semi tetchy routes this weekend.

Now I wanna try the Rip9RDO. Must resist.

Bad Case of the Mondays
    One of the big reasons I bought the Jet9 RDO was that I wanted a bike that was less of a slow rolling pig on the road, path, dirt roads between my house and the trails than my Turner 5 Spot. I'm constantly impressed at how fast / efficient the JET9 RDO is on the paved sections, pedals really well.

I have a route that has a long section of crusher gravel path that I ride often on my JET9 RDO to get to some trails. Last weekend I rode the same section on my Specialized Tarmac with some big 24 tires on it that rail dirt roads. I expected to obliterate my JET9 times since I was on a road bike, which is 8 pounds lighter and stiff as can be. Uploaded to Strava when I got home and was surprised to see that my time on my road bike was only my 5th fastest time (top four times on my JET9 RDO).

Now I'm not saying I'll take my Niner on my next group road ride, but I do love how versatile it is.

Moosehead
    Now with two months saddle time, this rocket continues to impress. This thing eats technical, loose, rocky climbs. Sections of ups that are generally 50/50 at best get cleaned the majority of the time on the J9RDO. The only advantage that my 5" 26er with hi volume rubber and slack HT angle has is on chunky descents at speed, the J9RDO with 120 fork handles these sections nicely, just takes a bit more care and arm fatigue.

mtbr member
    I love mine everywhere but sketchy downhills, I like my ASR5 better there. Man, I can climb about anything and it's so fast on straights and carving corners. 120 upfront would likely fix the downhill twitch but I'm leaving it like it is.

I am having issues with the XX1 derail though...
    Quote Originally Posted by moosehead View Post
    Now with two months saddle time, this rocket continues to impress. This thing eats technical, loose, rocky climbs. Sections of ups that are generally 50/50 at best get cleaned the majority of the time on the J9RDO. The only advantage that my 5" 26er with hi volume rubber and slack HT angle has is on chunky descents at speed, the J9RDO with 120 fork handles these sections nicely, just takes a bit more care and arm fatigue.

Carbon & Ti rule

I am having issues with the XX1 derail though...
    What is it doing ?