Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: J9 RDO bearings

mtbr member

J9 RDO bearings

Has anyone went through the pivot bearings quickly?

I developed a lot of side to side play in my rear triangle and it sure looks like a bearing issue. I can grab my rear wheel and move it side to side by almost 2 inches. The wheel is solid but you can see the frame flexing and it seems to start at the pivot points. It's creaking like mad under any torque too.

I have checked for any frame cracks but it looks clean. It probably only has 500 miles on it.

mtbr member

J9 RDO bearings

I also have some slight play seems like it the top rocker. But I have we'll over 2,000 miles so I'd say it expected at this point. Bearing are very smooth but are starting to develop some play. Anyone else?

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

J9 RDO bearings

I have play at the pivot that joins the upper rocker to the rear triangle. Unfortunately it's not a simple bearing issue: the threaded alloy insert that the pivot bolt threads into looks to have come un-bonded and is visibly wiggling around inside the carbon seat stay. Warranty here I come. Bad timing...

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    ^Ouch...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Upon further review, the bearings look good and there is a small indention out of the top rocker and there may be a little play there but not a lot. Looks like the main thing is just my wheel flexing.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    600 miles on mine and I've noticed that I can now move the rear wheel more now side-to-side. Also just started to hear this little clunk sound when I pick the rear wheel up off the ground and drop it from low height, say 1" or so. It may all be related to some movement I see in the lower linkage front bolt. Called Niner, so hope it's an easy fix. Otherwise, love the bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    600 miles on mine and I've noticed that I can now move the rear wheel more now side-to-side. Also just started to hear this little clunk sound when I pick the rear wheel up off the ground and drop it from low height, say 1" or so. It may all be related to some movement I see in the lower linkage front bolt. Called Niner, so hope it's an easy fix. Otherwise, love the bike.
    My creak ended up being a dry cassette/freehub body and my "play" was just the wheel/tire flexing.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    My bearings were shot this year and had to be replaced. It fixed the issue with creaking that was worse when pedaling under load. I don't ride in wet conditions but the bearings didn't last very long nonetheless.

Here is the thread related to the creaking with a lot of helpful tips in general. In the end it was the bearings that solved it for me.

Jet 9 RDO creaking while pedaling

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfdog93 View Post
    I had a small clunk in mine after 500 miles. The Fox bushings were shot in the shock mounts. Upgraded to RWS bearing mounts to fix the issues.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

J9 RDO bearings

RWC kit here too. Excellent product. Functions perfectly after a year of abuse. I blew through to DU bushings in three months when I first got the Jet 9 RDO last year.

mtbr member
    Can you two show me the exact part number for the RWC kit? I want to get it but I don't see one listed for a 2012 J9RDO.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bailey44 View Post
    Can you two show me the exact part number for the RWC kit? I want to get it but I don't see one listed for a 2012 J9RDO.
    I don't remember the exact size of mine. Just measure the width of the upper bushing with a dial caliper to get the exact width on your shock. The bottom is the same size.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I've got RWC needle bearings installed on my JET 9 RDO and RIP 9. Both use 21.85mm kit (NBKRWC2185). I only changed out the top shock bushing as the bottom moves so very little as to provide minimal benefit.

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by kwarwick View Post
    I've got RWC needle bearings installed on my JET 9 RDO and RIP 9. Both use 21.85mm kit (NBKRWC2185). I only changed out the top shock bushing as the bottom moves so very little as to provide minimal benefit.
    Times 2... great product. Highly recommend it.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    So I just order the MOUNTING SPANS for $30.99, correct. If I want to do upper and lower is it the same kit?

Do I have to have a bearing press on anything special to do this conversion?

Same kit size upper and lower, but really its a waste of $ to put needle bearings in the bottom eyelet with our frames. Tools needed for removal and installation are here: DU Bushing and Needle Bearing Shock Tool

mtbr member
    Same kit size upper and lower, but really its a waste of $ to put needle bearings in the bottom eyelet with our frames. Tools needed for removal and installation are here: DU Bushing and Needle Bearing Shock Tool
    Gets kind of pricey with the tools. Are those normal type presses that my mechanic would have? (He's not a niner dealer)

trail "cleaner"
    just purchase the upper kit and this guy sells the tool that I use. You will need a vice to push the DU bushing out... Bushing Tool, RWC Needle Bearing Tool & Eyelet Bushings (DU or DP4) - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    I kind of forgot about this and just ordered my kit.

mtbr member
    So the kit arrived a couple of weeks ago and I installed it. I am pretty certain it made a substantial improvement,

However, today is the first day I have cleaned my bike after installing it and there is some loose movement in the shock. I can feel the play when I lift up on my seat. I can also move my shock laterally a little bit at the top mount.

This may have always been like that or it may be new and secondary to the conversion.

Thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    So the kit arrived a couple of weeks ago and I installed it. I am pretty certain it made a substantial improvement,

However, today is the first day I have cleaned my bike after installing it and there is some loose movement in the shock. I can feel the play when I lift up on my seat. I can also move my shock laterally a little bit at the top mount.

This may have always been like that or it may be new and secondary to the conversion.

Thoughts?
    When I installed mine I had play in between the 5mm bolt and the sleeve that goes thru the bearing. I had to contact RWC and have them send me another bearing sleeve.

Could also be that you need to try the next size up inner race. I ended up with the ++ size.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Just had my rear shock serviced and replaced the bushings with the fox low friction five piece bushing kit $40au per end(normally $68rrp). I wanted to get RWC kit but proved difficult to source. One ride since service with no issues and difficult to work out differences as it seems the propedal settings are a bit firmer now even with medium tune. The open position is still super plush but the firm is now significantly firmer, not a bad thing for me. Still rides great though

I still want to replace the bearings in the rear end soon but need to find exactly what I need and do it myself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just received a bearing kit from RWC. Cleaned the bearing out to repack with Rock and Roll grease and found that one of the bearings was missing some balls. Just check everything you get now a days to make should the quality is there. Just because you pay allot of money for something does not mean it is right. RWC has not responded to my Email yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    Just received a bearing kit from RWC. Cleaned the bearing out to repack with Rock and Roll grease and found that one of the bearings was missing some balls. Just check everything you get now a days to make should the quality is there. Just because you pay allot of money for something does not mean it is right. RWC has not responded to my Email yet.
    Why type of RWC bearings were they?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast