Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Internal Cable Routing?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  kfb66 
#1 ·
While I see a few posts stating they like the internal cable routing and have no shifting issues, I see a LOT more negative posts relating to internal routing (especially with Niners).
I've had nothing but positive results with my first and only Niner (Alloy Jet 9), but I'm wanting something a good bit lighter now and seriously looking at the Air9 RDO.

I've never had any problems with external cables so just wondering .... other than aesthetics, is there any reason cables couldn't be routed using a traditional external routing on the Air 9 RDO?

#2 ·
Most of the complaints are on the Jet 9 carbon and original Air 9 carbon frames. I have a Jet 9 RDO and while I think the routing kind of sucks it is manageable and not a deal breaker. Can't speak for the Air 9 carbon personally but it sure looks questionable.

The Air 9 RDO, on the other hand, looks to have excellent cable routing: internal, full length housing. Simple. I have ridden one and the shifting is smooth. Can't see what could go wrong with this set up. Somewhat complicated to set up, I'm sure, but it should work well and last a long time. Looks great too.

#4 ·
Yep, the Air 9 RDO has full length housing. Once cabled I hear it is pretty much hassle free. The Air 9 RDO has zero external routing options, you would need to put zip ties all over the place to hold the cable on. I wouldn't suggest this.

The A9C once cabled is hassle free, but is a bit tricky to cable.

The Jet 9 Carbon/RDO can be problematic if done wrong, if done right it generally has not too much hassle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.