mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Ideal shock pressure for the rip9 with a fox rp23

Ok I am running 180 psi on my RIP. I am 5'10 214lbs with gears. All i want to avoid is the bottoming out of my o-ring. My setup before was120-130ish and my oring bottoms out when I check my bike every after rides. doing the rider weight x .66 still exceeds the 25% sag standard. Please advice.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by LGavin View Post
    Ok I am running 180 psi on my RIP. I am 5'10 214lbs with gears. All i want to avoid is the bottoming out of my o-ring. My setup before was120-130ish and my oring bottoms out when I check my bike every after rides. doing the rider weight x .66 still exceeds the 25% sag standard. Please advice.
    That pressure seams high for a Rip9,

Can you feel it bottoming out or are you just going off the oring ??

Sometimes the oring can be a bit loose & go down the shock shaft more than what the shock is pushing it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Exactly what I thought Muzz. But it is really at 180 psi if I want to follow the 25% sag standard. What is your recommended PSI btw?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Exactly what I thought Muzz. But it is really at 180 psi if I want to follow the 25% sag standard. What is your recommended PSI btw?
    Most of the time was around 130 lb & I never had it above 140 Ib ( that was when I was 195Ib with gear ).

I would always use 2 different pumps to make sure 1 gauge is not out.

Always Learning
    That's a "starting point" suggested in the FOX manual for the sag. I'm not sure I would actually call it a "standard" and be glued to running it at 25% as the only choice. I always mess around with mine and run them anywhere from 20% - 33%.

You might want to experiment with various percentages of sag and make sure you are measuring it correctly. Not to mention, mess with the shock's ProPedal settings as well as the rebound adjustment.

Every now and then after weeks of riding, the air pressure gets low enough in my rear shock on the RIP that the O ring will drop off and it's always a reminder that I need to check air pressure more often than I do.

BB

mtbr member
    I have the same issue with mine. I have mine at about 165. Iam 6'2" at 195. So I think Im going to get mine sent out to Push Industries and have the big bore kit installed. I also started to see some oil streaks going down the shaft of the shock and around the O ring.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm 5-11 about 195 lbs with gear, & On my 2010 rip I'm running around 195psi. I almost always bottom out the rear shock on every ride, but I usually hit at least 1 or 2-2' drops where I ride

I don't know what the sag is at now, but when I first set it up, it was way too soft with the sag set at 25%

The other thing I noticed is that the shaft on my shock measures 2.5", but will only travel 2.25" with all the air out of the shock. (I'll double check these measurements tomorrow) Check your's, as this may affect your sag setting.
    Last edited by bloomy63; 01-03-2012 at 08:05 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I had the same issue with mine, but I'm only 155lbs. If I ran enough air to keep from bottoming out I only had about 15% sag and a rough ride. Then I was directed at a thread about the DGC mod. Fox makes a kit now or you can make your own like DGC did that takes up a bit of air space and makes the shock ramp up at the end of its travel increasing the bottom out resistance. Google "DGC RP23".

mtbr member
    My LBS gave me this...scanned it for someone else recently so maybe it'll help you out with your setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ideal shock pressure for the rip9 with a fox rp23-rip9-shock-setup-pg1of2.jpg  

Ideal shock pressure for the rip9 with a fox rp23-rip9-shock-setup-pg2of2.jpg  

Ideal shock pressure for the rip9 with a fox rp23-fox-fork-psi-chart.jpg  

29 TO LIFE
    So does it mean my RP23 is bad if I have to run 205 lbs of pressure in order to get proper sag and almost full travel doing normal xc riding when I weigh 230 pounds? I have to do a mile of pavement during my loop and the bike bobs terribly and there is very little change when I turn propedal on and have it set to 3 on the dial.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    I had the same issue with mine, but I'm only 155lbs. If I ran enough air to keep from bottoming out I only had about 15% sag and a rough ride. Then I was directed at a thread about the DGC mod. Fox makes a kit now or you can make your own like DGC did that takes up a bit of air space and makes the shock ramp up at the end of its travel increasing the bottom out resistance. Google "DGC RP23".
    I have a 2010 rp23 float with boost valve. It doesn't have that outer sleeve on it. I looked at how this shock goes together, and I don't think the DGC mod is possible on this shock.

If it's possible, let me know how to do it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Camel Toad View Post
    My LBS gave me this...scanned it for someone else recently so maybe it'll help you out with your setup.
    Those must be the settings for the 2008 & older RIP's, cause my shock mount does not look like the one in the picture.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloomy63 View Post
    Those must be the settings for the 2008 & older RIP's, cause my shock mount does not look like the one in the picture.

I am not sure about that to be honest. My bike doesn't have that shock mount either.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's a "How To" link about the RP23 and air-volume spacers.

Tech Tuesday - How to Install a Fox Float Air-Volume Spacer - Pinkbike.com

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by bzo75 View Post
    So does it mean my RP23 is bad if I have to run 205 lbs of pressure in order to get proper sag and almost full travel doing normal xc riding when I weigh 230 pounds? I have to do a mile of pavement during my loop and the bike bobs terribly and there is very little change when I turn propedal on and have it set to 3 on the dial.
    Shocks are valved for a weight range... if you are outside the range then you won't get optimal performance. That's why companies like PUSH do such good business!

You can experiment with high volume cans and shims, it might get you where you want to be. But its likely at your weight that you would need to tweak the boost pressure and internal damping settings to get the same suspension feel as someone who weighs 175.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Shocks are valved for a weight range... if you are outside the range then you won't get optimal performance. That's why companies like PUSH do such good business!

JMH
    Has anyone sent theres to PUSH? I'm thinking of sending mine out. Just want to hear how they like the rebuild?? I'm thinking of doing the big can rebuild..
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

Keep on Rockin...
    For those still looking...

Since finally dialing in the shock pressure on my 2011 RIP it's almost like riding a different bike, for the better.

With gear I'm about 180# and am running 145 psi, and could likely get away with a bit less pressure.

I think the pressures listed on the grid up top might be a bit too low. On the other hand, like most riders do, I started off with too much pressure. RP2,3.

BTW, running a Reba RLT Ti, 105 pos, 100 neg. Aside with not being totally happy with the compression settings, it feels good.

mtbr member
    I sent mine to push. I went with the big hit kit. Before they started the over haul , I received a phone call from them. They told me something with the boost valve wasn't even working properly. So after they rebuilt the shock to my weight and riding style they recommend me riding at 165 psi +/- 10 psi. I'm 6'2" and 195 with gear. So when I received the shock back man what a difference a fined tuned shock feels. Night and day an overhaul makes. Well worth it!!
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    I just picked up my RIP 9 this week. I weigh 200 lbs. My LBS set up the rear shock with 170 psi and that feels perfect. Nice and plush yet I still have about 1/2" or so travel left in the shock after my local XC/AM ride. XC mostly, a couple of 2-3 foot drop offs, some quick downhill sections.