Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I know niners are like cake, all geometry works together but....

920 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  blysccr 
#1 ·
Just curious on your thoughts-

the WFO has shorter CS than the rip rdo and new Jet rdo. 17.4 vs 17.7 and 17.9 respectively.

I've had a 2012 rip9 for a year and a half, just sold it. So I have experience on that with a 120 and 140 fork.

It handled well but on tighter stuff...

I've ridden other bikes with shorter stays and feel like I can tell a difference. IE Ripley and Mach429.

I was unsure if the CVA suspension limits CS length, but the new wfo is proof that you can get at least 17.4.

I was really hoping that niner would do a new rip rdo (I like a little more travel as i'm nowhere near xc race like the Jet) with the shorter CS.

I know you can't say X CS on bike, all else equal, will make a better bike- but with all of the focus shorter cs and the 51mm offset forks, etc would that be a viable option for the new rip rdo?

that being said, would a rip with shorter cs and the 51mm offset be more of what i'm looking for? I really like the cva platform but like the handling of the ripley and pivot- but I need more travel and that travel felt very firm across the board.

just rambling.

See less See more
#2 ·
Out of curiosity, have you ridden the RIP9 RDO or just your '12 RIP9? I was on the fence between the Ripley and RIP9 RDO and went with the RIP with a 140mm Pike and I have no regrets at all. The RDO does have slightly shorter CS length than the aluminum version and the latest versions are both different than the '12 model.

#3 ·
Yes, I demoed the rip rdo, ibis ripley, mach 429, jet rdo while riding my 12 rip.

It is crazy the difference of feel between carbon and al, that I wasn't expecting!

I didn't have the chance to ride the new air formed rip as I was pretty sure I wanted carbon.

#4 ·
I'm pretty sure the only way they got the chainstays so short on the WFO was by eliminating the front derailleur completely, and making it a strictly 1x bike. Would probably not be able to do that on a future RIP RDO or aluminum frame without limiting them to only one front chainring also.

If you want the shorter chainstays, you could probably buy a WFO and build it up to be more of an XC versus enduro or all-mountain bike, but not sure how well that would work with the extra travel that frame has.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.