mtbr member
    Apr 2012

I know niners are like cake, all geometry works together but....

Just curious on your thoughts-

the WFO has shorter CS than the rip rdo and new Jet rdo. 17.4 vs 17.7 and 17.9 respectively.

I've had a 2012 rip9 for a year and a half, just sold it. So I have experience on that with a 120 and 140 fork.

It handled well but on tighter stuff...

I've ridden other bikes with shorter stays and feel like I can tell a difference. IE Ripley and Mach429.

I was unsure if the CVA suspension limits CS length, but the new wfo is proof that you can get at least 17.4.

I was really hoping that niner would do a new rip rdo (I like a little more travel as i'm nowhere near xc race like the Jet) with the shorter CS.

I know you can't say X CS on bike, all else equal, will make a better bike- but with all of the focus shorter cs and the 51mm offset forks, etc would that be a viable option for the new rip rdo?

that being said, would a rip with shorter cs and the 51mm offset be more of what i'm looking for? I really like the cva platform but like the handling of the ripley and pivot- but I need more travel and that travel felt very firm across the board.

just rambling.

I eat cats
    Out of curiosity, have you ridden the RIP9 RDO or just your '12 RIP9? I was on the fence between the Ripley and RIP9 RDO and went with the RIP with a 140mm Pike and I have no regrets at all. The RDO does have slightly shorter CS length than the aluminum version and the latest versions are both different than the '12 model.
    Quote Originally Posted by CannondaleF9 View Post
    You see, I don't have a single brand name in my signature because I know most bike brands and component brands 99%.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Yes, I demoed the rip rdo, ibis ripley, mach 429, jet rdo while riding my 12 rip.

It is crazy the difference of feel between carbon and al, that I wasn't expecting!

I didn't have the chance to ride the new air formed rip as I was pretty sure I wanted carbon.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    I'm pretty sure the only way they got the chainstays so short on the WFO was by eliminating the front derailleur completely, and making it a strictly 1x bike. Would probably not be able to do that on a future RIP RDO or aluminum frame without limiting them to only one front chainring also.

If you want the shorter chainstays, you could probably buy a WFO and build it up to be more of an XC versus enduro or all-mountain bike, but not sure how well that would work with the extra travel that frame has.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I know I'm not the bike industry, but I'd settle for 1x. But that does make sense.