mtbr member

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!

I'd been lurking and dying to join this elite club for months now. Finally went with the big wheels and built me an AIR 9 RDO, my first 29er. It's finished a month ahead of time thanks to a bit of guidance from poster kfb66 and my usual impatience for anything. Took these shots prior to my first ride yesterday and it did not disappoint. It exceeded my expectations...really fun so far. Weight is 22lb7oz with everything you see.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-018.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-006.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-004.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-014.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-011.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-017.jpg  

I finally joined the club! New Niner Air 9 RDO!-001.jpg  

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat View Post
    I'd been lurking and dying to join this elite club for months now. Finally went with the big wheels and built me an AIR 9 RDO, my first 29er. It's finished a month ahead of time thanks to a bit of guidance from poster kfb66 and my usual impatience for anything. Took these shots prior to my first ride yesterday and it did not disappoint. It exceeded my expectations...really fun so far. Weight is 22lb7oz with everything you see.
    Bike looks sick!! The SLR's look awesome

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Agreed, the Mavic wheels look great and I like the setup. Looks fast!

mtbr member
    Thanks, guys! It has been more fun than I expected. I've only had two rides and am still getting used to the hardtail and bigger wheels but so far so good. The SLRs are super stiff, exactly as I expected. They came in total at 1672g (w/ stem valves and rear adaptor). Now I just need the engine to match the bike's capabilities and we're all good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    how much does it cost for this? how does it perform now? SLR wheels still true?

mtbr member
    Yes! Wheels have been great and still true. Fairly stiff. Other than occasional adjustments of the hubs I have no complaints. Got them back then for $750. Their inner width is only 19mm so if I'd do it again I'd get someone at least 21mm and go carbon. Engagement is fair...no as great as my Chris Kings of course.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat View Post
    Yes! Wheels have been great and still true. Fairly stiff. Other than occasional adjustments of the hubs I have no complaints. Got them back then for $750. Their inner width is only 19mm so if I'd do it again I'd get someone at least 21mm and go carbon. Engagement is fair...no as great as my Chris Kings of course.
    SLRs look awesome but I ended up selling mine after a year or so. Hub adjustments and constant creaking just finally go to me so I sold them and got some carbon hoops. The beauty with Mavic is people who love them, love them so the resale value is high.

mtbr member
    Very nice.
    The 2015 Mavic wheels would also be great in there.