mtbr member
    Dec 2007

How to Build an Air9

Can someone please help provide a list of tools needed to build up a new aluminum Air9? I have the frame and parts--now it's time to invest in necessary equipment. Here's a breakdown of the components I'll be working with (all new):
    [*]Air9 frame with integrated headset and PF30 BB shell[*]Reba RLT 29er fork with tapered steer tube[*]FSA K-Force Light MTB 3x10 crankset[*]FSA Steel MTB BB[*]XT drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain)[*]XT brakes and rotors (pre-bled with 160mm rotors)[*]Stans ZTR Arch EX wheelset with 3.30 hubs[*]Salsa skewers (100mm front, 135mm rear)[*]Thomson seatpost (already installed), stem (80mm), and riser bar

I am also hoping someone can recommend a proper order in which to install these components. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    If you have no clue how you should really just take it to your LBS and have them build it, save yourself the headache.

thecentralscrutinizer
    Although I agree with what trevrev97 has said, here's a link to most of the tools you'll need to install the parts and maintain the bike. Park also has videos on how to do stuff too.

Park Tool Co. PK-63 : Professional Tool Kit : Tool Kits
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5
    2013 DeVinci Leo SL
    2009 SE Racing SoCal Flyer
    2008 SE Racing lil Ripper
    2003 TiSport Gman

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    make a friend with someone who has all that stuff, for a six pack you'll get your bike built, and get all the knowledge in the world...

heck post in your local forum on here, someone will help you out!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rmagda58 View Post
    Can someone please help provide a list of tools needed to build up a new aluminum Air9? I have the frame and parts--now it's time to invest in necessary equipment. Here's a breakdown of the components I'll be working with (all new):
    [*]Air9 frame with integrated headset and PF30 BB shell[*]Reba RLT 29er fork with tapered steer tube[*]FSA K-Force Light MTB 3x10 crankset[*]FSA Steel MTB BB[*]XT drivetrain (shifters, derailleurs, cassette, chain)[*]XT brakes and rotors (pre-bled with 160mm rotors)[*]Stans ZTR Arch EX wheelset with 3.30 hubs[*]Salsa skewers (100mm front, 135mm rear)[*]Thomson seatpost (already installed), stem (80mm), and riser bar

I am also hoping someone can recommend a proper order in which to install these components. Thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.
    Mate, I love building my own bikes and I have assembled most of the tools I need over time. Here's a few hints and tips.
    1) Some headsets just drop in some need a press. My Air9 is the old one which needed a press. Your PF30 will also need a press. I recommend paying someone to press these in as it is not economical to buy the tools for a single build. I am lucky I have a couple of mates with this gear who I get to help me out.
    2) You need to cut your fork steerer tube. There is a special tool to guide your saw. I have used this tool once when I borrowed it. You can usually get away with using a mitre box, a hacksaw and a bit of care. I usually cut the minimum off and use a few extra spacers under the headset. You can always come back and trim more off if the bars are too high.
    3) The crown race needs to be driven over the steerer tube. There is a special tool for this. At a pinch a broad bladed screwdriver and rubber mallet can be used to tap it on.
    4) The star nut needs to be driven into the steerer tube. This is difficult to get straight without the special tool. Its pretty cheap and worth having one if you are going to build more than one bike.
    5) For the FSA crankset you only need a large allen (hex) key. (Awesome crankset by the way I have one waiting to be retrofitted to my Jet9).
    6) I am not sure on the PF30 whether you need any special tools for your BB.
    7) For the shifters and derailleurs you need a good set of cable cutters for the cables and housing, allen keys and patience to keep adjusting till you get it right.
    8) For the chain you need a chain breaking tool and a joining link or pin.
    9) For the rotors you need a torx head key.
    10) For the brakes I always pay someone to cut my lines to length if they are too long and rebleed. Otherwise you need a bleed kit and the fittings for the brake line.
    10) Generally you should use a mini torque wrench to avoid overtightening. I only just got one last year though, so I have built heaps of bikes without one.
    11) I use anti seize compound on almost every thread so that the bike can be serviced in the future. The exception is rotor bolts and caliper bolts where I use loctite.
    12) You will need a good quality set of Allen (hex) keys and Torx keys. I find the long ones usually work better than the short ones.

As you haven't done it before I suggest paying a bike shop to install your headset, fork and bottom bracket. A good bike shop will make sure the head tube and bottom bracket are machined correctly by reaming and facing.

You can then do the rest of the bike build and take it back to them to cut the brake lines if required.

Good luck with the build, warning its addictive.

If you go ahead with this yourself I can give a few more tips about derailleur setup and chain length etc. You can get most of this from the Park Tools website though.