Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004

HORRIBLE creak from new Jet 9 RDO

Thoughts on source of this creak in my new Jet 9 RDO? Sounds like the BB to me. LBS cannot isolate the source or reproduce the creak at the shop (nor can I unless I'm climbing.)

mtbr member
    My creaks on my Jet9RDO went away after I cleaned and regreased the derailleur hanger mounting interface and retightened it. After that the maxle needed to be cleaned and tightened as well. Those are pretty quick and easy things to try.

mtbr member
    Yep the maxle on mine does that when it gets dirty. Also needs to be tight.

mtbr member
    Chain ring bolts is a common one for a creak only under power.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    If not the chainring bolts pull off the cranks and inspect/clean bearings, spacers, and crank surfaces, re-grease, tighten to specs and likely problem solved. Usually something has worked lose, needs cleaning, and/or grease. If not solved, move on to saddle,seatpost, bar and stem.

Dirty South Underdog
    It's hard to say without knowing what your LBS checked already and what they forgot about, but culprits could be the saddle clamp, seatpost collar, loose cassette lockring, one or more of the pivots, derailleur hanger... just to start. (other than bottom bracket)
    Brickhouse Blog (most known unknown)

Just Riding Along- best internet radio show on Mountain Bike Radio

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I've already tried the bar, maxle, post and post collar, saddle, cassette (even tried a brand new chain and cassette), all the pivots (Niner dealer LBS checked). LBS threw in a new BB30 adapter (Wheelsmith instead of the FSA that's in there.) One thing I forgot to check was dry pedal threads. I'll check the hangar too - hadn't thought of that. Many thanks.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    New Wheelsmith BB30 adapter installed, cables all checked, maxle tightened, pedal threads greased, chainring bolts checked and tightened, hanger checked and...we still have the same creak, albeit not as often or as loud. Now I'm thinking it could be the rear hub. At least I will see the guys from Niner tonight, so maybe a little first person manufacturer opinion will help solve this mystery.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Keep us posted - you have covered all the usual suspects.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My Jet9 RDO had a creak that was caused by a loose pivot bolt...lower drive side in my case.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    My Jet9 RDO had a creak that was caused by a loose pivot bolt...lower drive side in my case.
    Exact same for me, also got a click from a dirty derailleur hanger as well a few months before

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yep, the same pivot bolt was loose...but tightening it did not fix it. Still have the creak - which sounds more like a metallic squawk. I am starting to think there's some sort of interface issue with the rear hub since it was converted to 142 x 12 from 135 x 9, or the bearings in the hub are dry or toast. I love the way this bike rides, but I cannot stand the way it sounds.

mtbr member
    Try another wheel/hub as a test. If you don't have one go to a shop and see if they have a loaner or borrow from a friend...

Noises can be really tricky to track down on a bike. I have had it be so many different things. The most odd source I ever had was recent. It turned out to be the brake pads of all things. They were so worn down that the metal clips were ringing around as I hit bumps. The brakes still worked and were silent when engaged, but just going down the trail it sounded like a little bell.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm wondering if it's the brass fitting on the new rear brake line where it attaches to the brake caliper. Good lord, at this point, it could just be my old creaky knees. Or perhaps I need more chamois butter.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...the saga continues. Took the bike to a different mechanic after the first one basically gave up. ("I dunno. I checked everything.") Second mechanic greased pretty much every single moving part he could find, checked every single bolt, confirmed that the rear hub is solid and:

I'm about to throw this thing off a cliff. Boooo. Next try is a new bottom bracket. Then, the frame goes back to Niner for a replacement. I'm starting to suspect that the bottom bracket shell is slightly out of round.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand...the saga continues. Took the bike to a different mechanic after the first one basically gave up. ("I dunno. I checked everything.") Second mechanic greased pretty much every single moving part he could find, checked every single bolt, confirmed that the rear hub is solid and:

I'm about to throw this thing off a cliff. Boooo. Next try is a new bottom bracket. Then, the frame goes back to Niner for a replacement. I'm starting to suspect that the bottom bracket shell is slightly out of round.
    Take another video & ride it on grass so it is easier to just hear the noise.

Doesn't sound like the carbon frame to me so far, But a longer Video with only the bike noise would help.

Does it always start with the RH pedal in the same position ?

mtbr member
    So you are running an adapter and not a BB30 crankset? Just my opinion, but the adapters are very problematic and not worth messing with. Get a crank that is made for the bike with a real bb30 bottom bracket. I tried adapters once and decided never again.

I just tracked down an odd noise on my recent build. The noise was coming from the headset and kept getting worse. I took it apart and re-greased it 3 times and was about to knock out the headset cups when I remember that the seatpost was as far down in the frame as it would go (420mm reverb). Raised it a tad and tightened the seat clamp and the noise was gone. It is really strange how the source and where you hear the sound can be very unrelated on a bike.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I hadn't really timed the creak/squawk (sounds more like an annoying tropical bird squawking than a true creak), but yeah, looking at the videos, it does sound like it happens when the driveside crank is in the 3 o'clock position (parallel to the ground.) Never happens on the downhill, doesn't happen on "gentle" uphill grades and, until the last "fix," didn't happen while standing. Only while seated, pedaling and climbing an 8 - 15% grade.

As for riding on the grass, I'm not sure that would make the squawk easier to identify. It's plenty loud on dirt (the iPhone video doesn't do the sound justice.) Other riders who are several yards away from me can hear it distinctly. And are annoyed by it.

As for running an adapter, I looked at the standard Niner XT build (my drivetrain is all XT) and it appears that they spec the XT BB70 bottom bracket on that build, with an adapter from what I can tell. JET 9 RDO So, how is my XT not "made for the bike?" You'd think that Niner would only spec PF30 specific cranks and associated BBs if that were the case.

New Race Face bottom bracket goes in today. I'm also wondering if perhaps the front rings need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Yea, they do spec an adapter on their build but that does not mean it is ideal. Inboard bearings are a much better way to go in my opinion. The adapter introduces many variables and points of flex. Outboard are fine when used on a solid threaded shell.

Was the adapter installed dry or was some pft paste used.

Carbon & Ti rule
    FWIW I run both a Jet9 RDO & a Air9 RDO with the Sram Adaptors & GXP cranks, with no problems & they work as good as my Wife Jet9 RDO with the BB30 cranks.

The Raceface BB is a nice option.

Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    I hadn't really timed the creak/squawk (sounds more like an annoying tropical bird squawking than a true creak), but yeah, looking at the videos, it does sound like it happens when the driveside crank is in the 3 o'clock position (parallel to the ground.) Never happens on the downhill, doesn't happen on "gentle" uphill grades and, until the last "fix," didn't happen while standing. Only while seated, pedaling and climbing an 8 - 15% grade.

As for riding on the grass, I'm not sure that would make the squawk easier to identify. It's plenty loud on dirt (the iPhone video doesn't do the sound justice.) Other riders who are several yards away from me can hear it distinctly. And are annoyed by it.

As for running an adapter, I looked at the standard Niner XT build (my drivetrain is all XT) and it appears that they spec the XT BB70 bottom bracket on that build, with an adapter from what I can tell. JET 9 RDO So, how is my XT not "made for the bike?" You'd think that Niner would only spec PF30 specific cranks and associated BBs if that were the case.

New Race Face bottom bracket goes in today. I'm also wondering if perhaps the front rings need to be replaced.

mtbr member
    Yea, they do seem to work for some people, but so did the original internal cable routing. It works and does not make noise if you get everything just right.

However, the Race face one does look like it should be fine since it is not a threaded adapter that gets deformed when pressed in. It is just straight up outboard bearings.

Hope you figure it out.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Well, I think we figured it out and the result isn't good. It appears, as I suspected, that the BB shell is deformed. On the non-drive side, the top of the shell feels to be warped. The new RF BB does not fit flush all the way around - if you take your fingertip and run it around the point where the shell and the BB meet, it's flush all the way around except for about 1/4" of an inch at the top, where the shell sort of "falls away" from the BB (it narrows slightly.) You can feel the edge of the BB, instead of a smooth transition from the BB to the shell. This mean means that any BB/adapter is not going to fit. I'll try one ride with the new RF BB, but I think the frame is bound for warranty replacement.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Is the RF BB metal or the more flexible shell on the SRAM?

Some don't like the SRAM BB, but others say it works better because it conforms to any deformities.

I have a metal Wheels Mfg waiting to be installed. We'll see how it compares to the SRAM

Still...I'd get it warrantied.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Here's a half-decent iPhone picture of what I'm talking about. You can see how the BB sits flush with the frame on the left side of the photo, but as you follow it around to the top of the shell, the BB pokes out from the shell (and you can see what appears to be a nick/dent in the frame from production.)

Just got back from the shop. They admitted they could see and feel what I am talking about, but they kind of hemmed and hawed about it and told me to ride it with the new BB and see if the noise was still there. I'm going to swing by the other Niner dealer in the area before I ride it and get their input.

HORRIBLE creak from new Jet 9 RDO-niner.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My understanding is that the BB is cut using a special tool. This tool cuts the ID and face together to ensure they are perpendicular. I don't know that the OD has any impact on the fit at all.

That said, there is clearly a mark on the OD. Did you inspect the face and bore to insure that there is no bulging? If the OD mark was caused by a striking force, perhaps the carbon is fractured? I could see small fractures creaking under heavy load.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast