Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I don't think the shop that assembled the bike inspected the frame or BB shell before assembly. They told me this morning that they'd (1) never heard a creak like what I'm experiencing and (2) had never had a problem with the BB before.

Probably worth having the BB pulled. However, now I'm getting concerned about how many times the adapter and/or BB have been pulled and reinstalled. I'm hoping that would not cause further damage.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Here's my 2 cents, hope it brings some consolation. Bike parts are INSAINLY expensive. When you charge a premium price, I don't believe it is wrong to expect a premium product. Given the price paid, a bike free from creaks is a reasonable expectation.

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Yes, I agree. I've owned more frames than I can remember since I started riding in 1996 and (1) I've never paid this much for a frame or (2) had this much of a creaking issue. Generally, I've been happy with Niner, but this is the 3rd of 4 Niner frames I've owned in the last 3 years that have given me problems (chain suck/stuck problem on a Jet 9 and Biocentric EBB slippage + creak on a One 9.)

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Aaaaaand...the saga continues. The RF bottom bracket solved nothing. I'm at a loss and both Niner dealers are at a loss. Next up, different rear wheel. Grrrr. First world problems.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I have the same bike and have experienced a similar creak as you. It's really crazy but every time I encounter any water from riding or washing I get the creak. I dry and lube the rear thru axle and presto the creak goes away. I hope it could possibly be that simple for you. My buddy had a top of line carbon Trek a few years back and went thorough a similiar saga as you and finally checked the skewers and that was the ticket. Good Luck

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Aaaaaand...the saga continues. The RF bottom bracket solved nothing. I'm at a loss and both Niner dealers are at a loss. Next up, different rear wheel. Grrrr. First world problems.
    Has anyone professionally faced this BB? When they reinstalled did anyone do something sensible like using bearing locktite?

Just reinstalling something isn't going to do diddly squat. Repeating the same mistakes is all. The bearing locktite is designed to make the pressfit tighter when the frame is slightly too large.

If you have bought the frame and built up, unfortunately it is your issue, I'd onsell the crankset, buy a bb30 one and a wheelsmith BB and locktite it in with 609. But try your best to reproduce the sound with the bike stationary , then feeling for the vibrations etc will locate the sound - that's how I found creaks that were in the deraileur before when I thought they wer BB

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Problem solved. Replaced the rear wheel and voila - quiet as a church mouse. Tried the rear wheel I had been using on the Jet on a different frame - voila, that bike make the same noise the Jet had been making. So, after 4 tries at the shop, all I really needed to do was switch wheels. Not sure why the wheel is making those noises, but I'm just happy it's not the frame.

mtbr member
    Congratulations. Riding noise free can really put you in the zone.

Just curious, what type of hub did you have on your wheel?

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthpig View Post
    Problem solved. Replaced the rear wheel and voila - quiet as a church mouse. Tried the rear wheel I had been using on the Jet on a different frame - voila, that bike make the same noise the Jet had been making. So, after 4 tries at the shop, all I really needed to do was switch wheels. Not sure why the wheel is making those noises, but I'm just happy it's not the frame.
    I believe the conversion to 142x12 was what caused the creaking. Some wheel/hub makers do it correctly and thoroughly....some simply half-ass it, just to stay trendy.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    Sun Ringle Black Flag Pro. Never had a problem with it before - it was 135 x 9mm when I bought it from a friend last year, converted it to 142 x 12 and used it on a Transition Bandit 29, a RIP 9 and a Transition Covert 29 in that configuration, switched it back to a 135 x 9 QR and used it on a Banshee Paradox. (Yes, I go through frames quickly.) It never made a peep or squeak. However, when it was switched back to 142 x 12 for the Jet, all of a sudden it's creaky. Same noise on the Covert. All I can think is that the wrench who did the conversion missed a step? Anyway, not really a Niner specific issue. And, I love the other wheel I stole off the Covert for this experiment (Velocity hub with the 30mm Light Bicycles carbon rim. A much better fit for this frame.)

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Ripped the drive pawls out of two different black flags last season...creaking started then pow! Walked 4 miles back to the truck. Second one started creaking...ordered hopes and replaced it. Pulled it apart and 2 of the 3 pawls had sheared...

Glad you figured it out! Can't stand 5k creaking bikes!

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    I'm loving the totally quiet bike now and, since the hub was rebuilt with new bearings and a new steel freehub body, it's quiet as well.

Here's that lovely original freehub body. Big dudes like me can apparently wreak havoc on 3 pawl aluminum freehub bodies....HORRIBLE creak from new Jet 9 RDO-1599401_10152418284576544_8540742309256265229_o.jpg

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2