mtbr member

hope pro 2 hubs with bolt ons on a wfo9 getting loose!

i got a wfo 9 with hope pro2 hubs and bolt ons and this past weekendmy rwar came loose, the rim was completely off the frame dont ask how i didnt crash, antway im sure it was on tight, do i have to torque it more, use locktite? i dont want this happening, again... does this happen alot with bolt ons?

30-ton War Machine
    The hope screws/bolts are suspect, I have been told. Replace with King Fun Bolts, if they fit????

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

King's bolts don't fit

The bolts that came with my Hope hubs were crap. They weren't coming loose like you experienced but the head stripped the very first time I tried to tighten them. I looked at the King bolts but they have a different thread pitch than the Hopes so they are a no go.

I ended up going to my local hardware store and buying high quality steel versions of what came with the hubs and haven't had a problem since. There are also titanium bolts out there if you search but I thought they were a bit of overkill.

mtbr member
    would steel and aluminum cause problems? this was my first build so im thinking maybe i didnt tighten the bolts enough, i was afraid of stripping them...im gonna torque some more and see what happens, i just wondering if others experienced this?

mtbr member
    i retightened everything and it seems to be good we will see, but i have been wondering about other options for my niner wfo 9, i saw something in the 12mm realm, i was wondering if i got the 12mm hope kit, and 12mm thru axle would this fit my frame with out buying a new triangle, my rear is a standard 135...

http://www.bikeparts.com/search_resu...p?id=BPC308816

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/produ...Saint+Der.aspx

Underskilled
    I would assume this system is supposed to have a prescribed torque?

If not, loctite is your friend.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    so i am now pretty sure i didnt torque it down hard enough, i was riding this morning pretty hard and everthing is good now in the rear but my front brake is making some wierd noises like the caliper is loose,mmmmm... im gonna do a once over and retighten everything up. but incase she loosens up again, im starting to look at the maxle design again, if i pick up the 12mm x 135 kit from niner and get the 12mm kit from hope it should work right?

trail "cleaner"

save your $$

Do what Zackp7 and I did. Go buy 'real' 8mm allen headed bolts to replace these cheezey 6mm from Hope. You'll no longer have any issue.
    No dabs allowed!

mtbr member
    where do i get these 8mm allen headed bolts, from home depot? steel, aluminum? how long should they be? i hear they are putting bigger washers to help putting more pressure on the set up. i was looking at the maxle again, but now i hear there is a problem with hope hubs snapping with maxles! back to the drawing board!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I ended up getting my replacement bolts from a smaller hardware store in my area that is known for having decent sizes hardware section. I think it is a "DoItBest" store. I just took in one of the bolts from the Hope hubs as a reference and found something that matched both the diameter and thread. I couldn't get an exact match on length but ended up with something that was only 5mm short of Hopes and it works just fine.

HomeDepot or Lowes might have the correct bolt too.

trail "cleaner"

where to buy...

Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    where do i get these 8mm allen headed bolts, from home depot? steel, aluminum? how long should they be? i hear they are putting bigger washers to help putting more pressure on the set up. i was looking at the maxle again, but now i hear there is a problem with hope hubs snapping with maxles! back to the drawing board!
    Home Depot might have them.. I get mine from work. Any fastner supplier can get them. They are SS and I got mine about 1/4" longer than the stock ones from Hope to get a better bite and gives you more space to work with taking your wheels off/on.
    No dabs allowed!

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    You have slightly missunderstood.

There is a problem with hope hub and Maxle Lights, not regular maxles.

The maxle light is thinner in the middle, the hub is designed to use the support in the middle.
    So it is an incompatibility.

Hope Pro 2 is one of the best hubs in the market, just use it right.

Ask hope for the torque, get a torque wrench and do it properly.

A lot of people know that the Hope factory was set up in Barnoldswick Yorkshire; most people miss the significance or timing.

Barlick is a SMALL town, that used to have one of the most significant factories in the world. This is where they made Rolls Royce jet engines. When Rolls Royce shut down the factory a lot of aerospace grade machinists lost their jobs, a matter of weeks later Hope set up down the road.

Essentially Hope are made by Rolls Royce. Not bad huh!
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    oh that changes things then, i didnt realize there were more than one version, cc are you running maxle? have you ever run bolt ons? or thru bolt? opinions?

Underskilled
    I have the 150 spacing WFO so didn't get a pro 2 (I don't like their flange spacing on the 150, otherwise that would 100% be the hub on my bike).
    I have the front pro =-)

I do not know enough about the fun bolts to really comment.
    If you do not use a torque wrench then through axle/maxle would probably be easier.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    And by "problem" remember we are talking about the overbolown e-report of less than three? four? out of thousands and thousands sold. It's entirely possible there is something that needs to be redesigned but I have run 12x135 and 150mm maxle lites for several years now with several hub combinations and zero troubles.

Now that I think about it, I run ONLY this hope/maxle lite setup on my Niners and I have certainly cased a few decent sized jumps and drops.

But yeah, you need the dropout kit from Niner and the hub kit and you will be golden.

If you want to play it safe and use a regular Maxle instead of the Maxle Lite that probably comes with the dropout kit, PM me and I can surely dig up one to trade.

JMH

mtbr member
    quick questions, is the maxle hollow or a solid piece of metal? what other drop outs besides maxle are available for the wfo?

local trails rider
    I don't like Hope bolt heads either: the hex key seems a bit loose in them. Also, it has happened that I have to re-tighten the bolts after a while, after having the wheel off of the bike for some reason. Then it seems to stay tight. No problems with the hubs themselves.

I don't have to torque the bolts real hard: running vertical dropouts.

"it IS possible that you are faster or slower than anybody else who is having at least as much if not more or less fun"

mtbr member
    anyone here have experience with the superstar 10mm qr, i read somewhere it can be used with regular drop outs? and its very affordable cheaper than dt rws but im not sure if they sell this in the states...

http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/produ...oducts_id=287]

mtbr member
    double post...
    Last edited by david8613; 09-11-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Underskilled
    I don't know much about that particular product, but superstar makes very good stuff and are a good company.