Closekids.com

From Honda to Mercedes err. RIP baby!

Finally she arrived and has given up her flower.

Going from a Fisher X-Cal 08 to a 09 RIP is a tough comparison. The RIP is EVERYTHING I wanted it to be. The normal trail I ride where I really had to pick a line and hold the seat between my legs to minimize rear end movement during the bumps was replaced with center of the trail, looking for something to hit riding. Small roots were totally eaten up to the point you can't even feel it.

It weighed 27.0 before shaving 150g going to Truvativ OCT 2x9 setup from Shimano Deore OEM at 1000g. It really felt light and being 5 10.5 on a Medium is much better for me than being on the Large X-Cal. I saw more trail in my peripheral vision and much less bike. Although it was interesting I needed a longer chain had I kept the 3x9 setup.

I'm in love. Thanks to Shawn at Wheeler Dealer in OKC and Brett and Niner bikes for talking me through the options, making sure my questions were answered and ultimately helping me make a perfect selection for me. Here she is...

PS. Red Lizards are already not as bright after one ride.
    Attached Images Attached Images

4 Niners
    Dec 2008
    Looks great! Less than 27 is really light for a 2.9 RIP build.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Scales Lie

Quote Originally Posted by yourdaguy
    Looks great! Less than 27 is really light for a 2.9 RIP build.
    My XO, Juicy 7, Fulcrum, Rampage built raw large bike is 31lb 6 oz

trail "cleaner"
    Jan 2004

yep... something going on with that scale..

Quote Originally Posted by Gilboy
    My XO, Juicy 7, Fulcrum, Rampage built raw large bike is 31lb 6 oz
    My RAW medium came in at 30.5 with very similar components except Team Reba U-turn fork and the wheels are Stan's Arches with Rampage tires on Hope Pro II hubs/DT comp spokes.... .

Closekids.com

Yea

Yea I thought so too, but I will have to say it feels that light. Who knows and I'm certainly no WW. But I'm not putting a water bottle on it if I can possibly help it (full water bottle = around 1000g or 2.18 pounds) and the old bike computer is history as well.

MTB B'dos
    Looks like crap and way more than what you need for your trails, sell it cheap and try to recover some of your expenses and buy a JET9.
    LMAO Jus' Kiddin'

Jealousy is a horible thing Nah, I'm just happy for you and glad you went with the RIP9 instead of the JET9 - Looks stellar I can already see your "level" going up by your description of your ride and you seeking out the bigger stuff already
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    I can already see your "level" going up by your description of your ride and you seeking out the bigger stuff already
    eh, that sounds just like me

oh yeah i'm shameless 'cause i'm riding one too

Members who have read this thread: 0