mtbr member

Help Sourcing Titanium Bolts for Jet 9 RDO V.1 (Jet 9 Carbon)

Anyone have good sources or input on where to purchase TI bolts so I could change out some of the Hardware on my Jet 9 RDO? Or at least know the sizes and style of bolts I need to be looking for? I'm interested in replacing the shock mounting bolts upper and lower. Also curious about what some of the other hardware that you might have changed out or sourced. Chainring bolts, headset, rotor, etc. (Are rotor bolts really that heavy?)
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Nuts
    Last time I had my shock mounting bolts out if I remember correctly they weren't anything special. I would just find a hardware store with a great bolt selection and match em up.
    And I love beer!!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    I've dealt with TorontoCycles.com a few times and they seem to have a very large selection of titanium and aluminum fasteners. I would say focus on the larger bolts... shock mounts, brake caliper, headset top cap are good candidates.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Shock mount bolts are M6. Just pull each one and measure, then check ebay for M6 x ???mm whatever the length is. Thread pitch is 1.0. There are lots of cheap vendors that ship from Asia. If you want better selection and maybe a bit quicker (but more expensive), check Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt

The savings over steel is roughly half the weight of the steel part. So if you weigh a steel bolt, Ti will weigh half that. Kwarwick is right, seat clamp bolt, headset top cap bolt, caliper bolts, brake lever clamp bolts are good candidates. Weight isn't everything though, Ti looks way better and doesn't rust. I use a lot of it on my bikes and I transfer it when I get another rig.

If you have an application in mind that is low-stress and that won't kill you if the bolt fails, you can probably use aluminum. It's cheaper and comes in more colors. Again, check probolt-usa for all kinds of chainring bolts, cassette lockrings and bolt packs, etc. I have replaced the small clamp bolts on my sram XO paddle levers with color matched stuff, looks cool.

JMH

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    Shock mount bolts are M6. Just pull each one and measure, then check ebay for M6 x ???mm whatever the length is. Thread pitch is 1.0. There are lots of cheap vendors that ship from Asia. If you want better selection and maybe a bit quicker (but more expensive), check Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt

The savings over steel is roughly half the weight of the steel part. So if you weigh a steel bolt, Ti will weigh half that. Kwarwick is right, seat clamp bolt, headset top cap bolt, caliper bolts, brake lever clamp bolts are good candidates. Weight isn't everything though, Ti looks way better and doesn't rust. I use a lot of it on my bikes and I transfer it when I get another rig.

If you have an application in mind that is low-stress and that won't kill you if the bolt fails, you can probably use aluminum. It's cheaper and comes in more colors. Again, check probolt-usa for all kinds of chainring bolts, cassette lockrings and bolt packs, etc. I have replaced the small clamp bolts on my sram XO paddle levers with color matched stuff, looks cool.

JMH
    I agree. Take them out and measure them. I made the mistake of not taking them out and just going by what the Niner Encyclopedia says which is M6 x 21.83 or something like that. I ordered the bolts and turns out when I got them they were wayyyyy to short. The actual bolts are longer than 21.83mm.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    I agree. Take them out and measure them. I made the mistake of not taking them out and just going by what the Niner Encyclopedia says which is M6 x 21.83 or something like that. I ordered the bolts and turns out when I got them they were wayyyyy to short. The actual bolts are longer than 21.83mm.
    M6 x 21.83 is the drilling/width of the shock mount bushings, not the bolts. An easy mistake to make! I've also incorrectly measured countersunk bolts because I assumed they were measured by thread length, like cap screws. Nope, countersunk bolts are measured by overall length.
    Last edited by JMH; 02-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Good stuff shared here. Thanks.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

mtbr member
    ahhhhhh I see

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Might not be directly related to your frame, but what about titanium spindles for your pedals? I believe they make them for most of the common pedals available.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    True, there's an eBay guy in Detroit that makes them for common brands, usually around $55-60 a set. If you're pretty light they are a great way to save a lot of weight.