mtbr member
    Sep 2010

Help with Niner EMD sizing

I'm 5'9", 30inch inseam and I'm looking to get a EMD frame to build up as a family kid trailer mule and some XC racing (squarely in participant category). On their website I fit the small and the medium. What would be the disadvantages with a small for me. I was thinking a set back seat post, 90mm stem, if necessary. The advantages would be that my wife (5'3") could ride it too with her own saddle/seat post, replace shorter stem for longer rides, etc…

Any help would be wonderful…

For reference I ride a Ibis Mojo SL now with a 50mm stem and none setback seat dropper.

Thanks

mtbr member
    I would most def go with medium. I am 5'6" and ride a 2011 emd medium. I dont feel that it is too big. My legs are short, but my torso is probably more normal size. I have always went with a med, so I do not know any different.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Great I was looking for that insight. It seemed odd to me that small was up to 5" 9" height range. I know that there are a lot of body styles out there. I've never owned a hard tail so I was hoping someone who owned one would chime in. Thanks.

mtbr member
    To me Niner seems to size their bikes on the larger side. I'm 5'8" with a 30 inseam and can comfortably fit a small.

I have a medium Specialized Carve and my 5'6" GF has a small EMD 9. The small Specialized feels real short...but the small EMD does not. She runs a -6 80mm stem with 15mm of spacers under the stem. Only thing I would change to dial the EMD 9 in is to remove the spacers under the stem and swap the saddle.

If you're looking for XC style go small...if more Trail feel...go medium.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks RS,
    I poured over the numbers between an EMD size small and an Ibis Ripley size medium (a bike I fit well) and the small looks very similar except for the seat tube. I guess I'm gonna have to find a small to ride. I'm not real experienced riding a 29er in general (never mind a Niner) and I don't need it to be a trail bike.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tahoesurfkid View Post
    Thanks RS,
    I poured over the numbers between an EMD size small and an Ibis Ripley size medium (a bike I fit well) and the small looks very similar except for the seat tube. I guess I'm gonna have to find a small to ride. I'm not real experienced riding a 29er in general (never mind a Niner) and I don't need it to be a trail bike.
    Another vote for the EMD small here, which I have. Am 5'8" with a 30 in inseam too.
    Current Stable: 2011 Niner EMD, 2011 Vassago Jabba

mtbr member
    Medium is what I rode. Found it very comfortable.

5' 9 3/4"

30" inseam

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    5'8", 30" inseam and I ride a medium EMD comfortably with a straight seatpost and 70mm stem. My first frame was medium(Giant) and my previous two frames were smalls(Airborne and Canfield) and the Canfield was too small. We are at a tough height to pick the best frame size without riding one. I was scared to undersize the EMD, and it worked out, thankfully.
    Airborne Guardian
    Niner EMD 9

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    5'8" 29" inseam

I ride a medium.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Thanks everyone, in my area its tough to find a small to demo. I am waiting for a friend of a friend to get back from Moab/Fruita trip to try hers out. She rides RIP 9 and she's 5'8"… I hope it translates to the EMD.

mtbr member
    The guys riding mediums. How high are your bars? Are they above the saddle?
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by RS VR6 View Post
    The guys riding mediums. How high are your bars? Are they above the saddle?
    A (bad) pic - hope it helps with your question:

Help with Niner EMD sizing-photo-87.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help with Niner EMD sizing-emd.jpg  

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    ^ Mine looks about like that as well.
    Airborne Guardian
    Niner EMD 9

mtbr member
    Thanks for the pic!
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Seeing your guys heights and inseams definitely points out my issue with frame size. I am 5'4" but have a 30" inseam. I currently have a Jet 9 size small (XS was not available the year I purchased) and run a -35 70mm stem. If/when I get an EMD I will definitely be going XS.

Help with Niner EMD sizing-niner.jpgHelp with Niner EMD sizing-image.jpg
    Last edited by offrhodes42; 05-22-2014 at 08:50 AM. Reason: added photo to show.

mtbr member
    Here is my GF's small EMD. She is 5'6" and her inseam is also roughly 30in. The stem is 80mm and -6. With 15mm of spacers under the stem.

I've been kicking around the idea of picking up either an EMD or alu Air 9. I'm going for the small.

Here is an xs thats been kicking around the shop. Its got the X7 build and the wheels off my Special Ed.

Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5