mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals

Ok, so I am Tallby C VPP2 owner and really love it. I'm hoping to get a shot at a demo real soon on jet 9 RDO. If it is that much better than the TBC, then you know what is next. My Tallboy is the 12X142 and know the RDO now has the same treatment. However, been searching online for them and only found green/blk. The white, tang, & blk are the older. So I decided to call Niner today.

They told me at the moment only the green/blk has the 12x142. Since I'm not too high on the green, I asked when the other colors will become available. He said when those colors are gone, they are gone! He said there will be one more color in the JEt 9 RDO with the 12x142 and it will be the licorice aka all black. How many of you all have a green Jet 9 RDO and had the older one? Do you notice anything special, what are your impressions, comparisons?

I like the white but no updated goodies and no 12x142. The Black availability should be in about a month or so. I was wondering why I've seen frames new for some really cheap prices online. Because they are trying to get them out for the new stuff.

I love the fact my TallboyC can really do anything with the 120mm float fork, XC, ST, trail, and some all mountain. Can the JEt 9 RDO be set up for the same duty (do it all)? OR do you all recommend the Rip 9 RDO for do it all? What I like about the RDO is zero grease ports, not that the VPP is so difficult but it is always nice the less maintenance you have to do. How about the bearings on the linkage of the Jet 9 RDO, creaking much, any issues? SC's bearings have been good so far. Should I wait for the blk in a month or go for a white?

He was about to tell me the color of the new Rip 9 RDO but he seemed to catch himself and then said he couldn't. They got them trained well. While I like the blue color on the bike, its just not something I see myself on. Oh, wait, I remember he did tell me the color later, it came out. He said the rip 9 RDO will be in a black also. So two colors on Jet 9 RDO and Rip 9 RDO.

Any one have their opinions on Jet9RDO v.1 versus v.2?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Here is the carbon FS bikes I have owed, I still own both of the Jet9 RDO's

IMO the Tallboy isn't in the same leage as the Jet9 RDO & if it was I would still own one, but 3 months of riding the Tallboy after having owned 2 Jet9 Alloy bikes & a 09 Rip9 the CVA just seams to work everywhere & the harder you push it the more it likes it.

Were as with the Tallboy when really pushed it seamed to be good some times & just bad other times.

Mine was a V1 Tallboy & with a fox shock so yes some of the bad flex I felt will have been made a bit better, But that wasn't my bigest issue with the bike.

The pedal strikes were just happening to offten & the Bike when pushed real hard had so much mid travel wallow that it struggled to finish the last corner before you got to the next & there for couldn't carry as much speed as I was used to.

Sure with a stiffer shock or shock setting you could tune out some of the bad habbits but at the cost of overall grip so once again not able to carry as much speed.

All this is not form a test ride on someone elses bike on a trail that I'm not used to over a weekend or even a week on holiday, This was on my own Tallboy that I brought with my own money & rode for 3 months on trails I had a good handle on how bikes handle it.

I am lucky i don't own a bike shop & can ride what I like & can afford to ditch a bike if it doesn't suit me.

I get alot of PM from Tallboy riders asking about the Jet9 RDO & a couple of things I always tell them is, If the Tallboy was as great as so many people seem to think it is, why would you even message me to ask about the Jet9 RDO & look back through the Tallboy threads & see how many broken bones there are ( sure there are alot of Tallboys out there ) but look at all the Niners to & others if you like & you will see that the Tallboy has ( well you fill in the dots )

Simple answer is deap down they know that most of the time it's good but some times you just know it could be better.

So in short The Jet9 RDO is a much better alrounder than the Tallboy IMO, There is no where that my Tallboy was better than the Jet9 RDO.

Yes there are some tracks that the Tallboy is almost as good, But not many IMO & there is a heap of tracks I ride that the Tallboy wouldn't get a look in.

I know this because the length of time it takes on the Video's is shorter on the Jet9 RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Ok, so I am Tallby C VPP2 owner and really love it. I'm hoping to get a shot at a demo real soon on jet 9 RDO. If it is that much better than the TBC, then you know what is next. My Tallboy is the 12X142 and know the RDO now has the same treatment. However, been searching online for them and only found green/blk. The white, tang, & blk are the older. So I decided to call Niner today.

They told me at the moment only the green/blk has the 12x142. Since I'm not too high on the green, I asked when the other colors will become available. He said when those colors are gone, they are gone! He said there will be one more color in the JEt 9 RDO with the 12x142 and it will be the licorice aka all black. How many of you all have a green Jet 9 RDO and had the older one? Do you notice anything special, what are your impressions, comparisons?

I like the white but no updated goodies and no 12x142. The Black availability should be in about a month or so. I was wondering why I've seen frames new for some really cheap prices online. Because they are trying to get them out for the new stuff.

I love the fact my TallboyC can really do anything with the 120mm float fork, XC, ST, trail, and some all mountain. Can the JEt 9 RDO be set up for the same duty (do it all)? OR do you all recommend the Rip 9 RDO for do it all? What I like about the RDO is zero grease ports, not that the VPP is so difficult but it is always nice the less maintenance you have to do. How about the bearings on the linkage of the Jet 9 RDO, creaking much, any issues? SC's bearings have been good so far. Should I wait for the blk in a month or go for a white?

He was about to tell me the color of the new Rip 9 RDO but he seemed to catch himself and then said he couldn't. They got them trained well. While I like the blue color on the bike, its just not something I see myself on. Oh, wait, I remember he did tell me the color later, it came out. He said the rip 9 RDO will be in a black also. So two colors on Jet 9 RDO and Rip 9 RDO.

Any one have their opinions on Jet9RDO v.1 versus v.2?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-green-rdo-xx-003.jpg  

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-trip-033.jpg  

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-img_4843b.jpg  

Carbon & Ti rule
    As for V1 Jet9 RDO vs V2 well how much do you want to spend ?

Yes I like the V2 better than the V1.

The V2 is a little stiffer, a bit more point & shoot.

If were not having to take money away of the build budget to buy the V2 then I would go for the V2 every time.

However if I was at the start of a trail & there was a V1 with carbon wheels & a V2 with alloy wheels & I was told I could have 1st choice what bike I wanted to ride, Then I would choose the V1.

As for the Jet9 RDO Vs the Rip9 RDO, well that is such a hard one because I'm buying a Rip9 RDO & do get asked that question quite alot & the truth of the matter is that the Jet9 RDO set up well like a good trail bike is such a capable bike that if you are asking the question then you are not hard core enough to out ride the Jet9 RDO IMO.

Were as alot of the True Rip9 RDO owners are a bit Pi$$ed that there isn't more 140/150+ forks they can bolt onto the thing. IMO.

The thing is there is a big overlap in the 2 bikes & you can't go wrong with either but as I have said if you are unsure then I think you are a Jet9 RDO rider.

For what it's worth, I'm much faster & feel better on ruff down hill on my Jet9 RDO than I did on My Giant Reign 'S & Trance X ( 26er's )

Carbon & Ti rule
    I will try to get my friend to write in on his view of V1 vs V2

He gave his V1 to his girl friend & built himself a V2 & that in it's self tells you something, If you have ridden a bike for a year & it's still 1st on your list as the bike you would buy if you were to start again then that is saying something.

FWIW I let lots of people ride my bikes & through out the years with Trances, Reigns,Anthems,Epic's, 29er Stump jumpers & to many others to list none of my friends were ever compelled to spend the sort of money i did on a bike, the closest was 1 of my friends brought my Rip9.

Now I can go for a ride with the same friends & have upto 6 Jet9 RDO's in the group & thats the dearest bike I have owned.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-w-m-rdos-004.jpg  

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-w-m-rdos-002.jpg  

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-w-m-rdos-007.jpg  

Help Jet 9 RDO guys and gals-3-rdos-016.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Muzzanic, "Sure with a stiffer shock or shock setting you could tune out some of the bad habbits but at the cost of overall grip so once again not able to carry as much speed."

Yeah, I've read many posts by tallboy owners that recommend ditching the FOx shock for a Monarch shock due to the tuning on the Fox. They seem to say it is designed for low to mid travel, where as the monarch is mid to high really improving the bikes characteristics overall. ONe thing I notice on the Tallboy is when I stand up on it in steep climbs I find myself spinning out very often, and that is with 2.3 tires that are fairly new. I didn't know if it was because of crappy tires or bike design, or suspension or a combination of that but I find that very irritating when it happens because I seem to lose momentum fast.

I agree with you on your assessment of the Rip 9 RDO, that is why I questioned even getting the Tallboy LTc, which I must say, I was really impressed at how much better it was than my Tallboy on the trail. However, I don't plan on jumping off 4-5ft drops most of the time or hardcore eduro racing or even any downhill madness for that matter.

I like the fact that the Jet 9 RDo as you say has alot of overlap. That is what I am looking for. Thanks for the great insight on this as you've given me alot to think about. To even mention the Maestro suspension, that I have heard so much good about, to be beneath the CVA also tells me alot. Giant is not on my radar at all but I find it impressive on your comments in the comparison. Thanks Muzzanic.

Any other comments on what you like or dislike about your Jet 9 RDO's out there?

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Muzzanic, I need to ask you, what fork are you running on that green bike? Is it a 120mm? A Rockshox?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Muzzanic, I need to ask you, what fork are you running on that green bike? Is it a 120mm? A Rockshox?
    Hi on my bike I have got the White Brothers loop at the moment, I have not tryed a 100mm fork on my green bike because I like longer travel than that.

Ok the Tang bike I have had 5 different forks on it & only 1 of them was a 100mm & it didn't stay on there very long.

I can see why some people like the 100mm up front if only XC or doing multi hour climbs, but for me the bike doesn't give up much at all with 120mm up front & just opens up what the bike can do in the ruff.

I know that the Jet9 RDO is meant to be a XC bike & It does a dame fine job of that, But I feel that it makes an a very good trail bike aswell.

I'm very suprised how well it gees in the ruff.

Things I don't like about the Jet9 RDO ?

Well for starters it would be nice to have dropper seat post mounts, I have never tryed to fit a internal cable one. I have the cable tied to the rear brake line & it has been truble free & looks ok.

I think the bike looks good but i think it would look much betther if the Black & the colour were reversed so there was more colour & less black.

The rear gear cable would be nicer if it was more like how they have done the Rip9 RDO's more travel, That said I have never had a problem with mine.

Not a problem on my bike (Lge ) but on my wifes small Jet9 RDO we use the smaller Niner water bottle & were carefull to choose a bottle cage that fitted low as the room gets tight.

I wish they would drop the red on the pivot bolts & just go silver, But now they do coloured bolts anyway.

But other than that I'm very happy

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I have to agree with Muzzanic on the 120mm fork. I built my Jet9 RDO up to replace my hardtail SS I rode and raced for the last few years. I wanted an XC bike to race and the RDO pedals very well in and out of the saddle. I have my bars lower on the RDO then I was able to get on my hard tail because of the extra top tube slope.

I ride with a lot of SS racers and it gives nothing up on climbs with a 120mm fork but it feels like an all mountain bike when you hit the ruff stuff hard.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Azpoolguy, this is just what I am wanting to know. I have the 120mm Fox float 32 on my tallboy and don't care to go back to 100mm. What I don't like is the fact it seems SC has a special deal w/fox, or so I have heard, they only give them a 120mm all black fork that is not a Talas. I don't want a talas, don't want the weight, and will never use the flexibility it has to offer. Niner told me if I want the black fork I need to get the Talas. I'm considering taking my 32 off my bike and using it on a Jet 9 RDO. Well time to demo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Thanks Azpoolguy, this is just what I am wanting to know. I have the 120mm Fox float 32 on my tallboy and don't care to go back to 100mm. What I don't like is the fact it seems SC has a special deal w/fox, or so I have heard, they only give them a 120mm all black fork that is not a Talas. I don't want a talas, don't want the weight, and will never use the flexibility it has to offer. Niner told me if I want the black fork I need to get the Talas. I'm considering taking my 32 off my bike and using it on a Jet 9 RDO. Well time to demo.
    How do you set up your Talas fork and do you have the Monarch on your Tallboy?

I was never able to get a Talas or Brain fork to feel as plush as I wanted or as locked out as I wanted on my hardtails. On the Specialized I've riden and worked on I always felt like the Brain was trying to fix something wrong with the suspension.

If I'm going to ride a bike with suspension I want it to work and not have to flip levers to get it to do that. I ride my Jet9 RDO in the "1" on the pro pedal and #2 on the trail adjuster on the CTD fork. If you want a "locked out" bike the Jet9 RDO won't do it unless you send the fork and shock off the some one to neuter. It is an active bike but the bigger gear you push and the harder you ride it the better it works.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    What is the Price of a Jet 9, Jet 9 RDO vs a Tallboy??

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammy9398 View Post
    Home

Santa Cruz Bicycles

Both of these sites have bike configuration on them that you can check out prices on different build option.

The Jet9 can't really be compared to the Tallboy C or Jet9 RDO. Two separate frame meterials and travel.
    Last edited by azpoolguy; 12-06-2012 at 12:19 PM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I am 6'1 280 lbs.. not too aggressive on bikes.. as I am still a noob.. do you recommend carbon?? for my size?? or should I stick to alloy??

Carbon & Ti rule
    I am 6'1 280 lbs.. not too aggressive on bikes.. as I am still a noob.. do you recommend carbon?? for my size?? or should I stick to alloy??
    Hi

At 6'1 & 280 Ib I would talk you into a Size Large,

I would say the best bike for you would be the Rip9 Alloy or WFO & Rip9 carbon when they come out in March but with all of those options I would go 142 T/A rear end to make it stiffer.

The Jet9 RDO would work with your weight but the bigger travel bikes are just tuffer & still pedal great..

As for the Tallboy, I have owned 1 of those to & It's just not as good IMO

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Depending on how much of a noob you are I would suggest a burly hard tail with flat pedals. Ride for a few years and build the correct skill set to maxamize a full suspension bike.

I have a lot of friends going back to hard tails and flat pedals to learn skills that never developed by just jumping on a modern trail bike with lots is suspension,traction,and control.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    How do you set up your Talas fork and do you have the Monarch on your Tallboy?

I was never able to get a Talas or Brain fork to feel as plush as I wanted or as locked out as I wanted on my hardtails. On the Specialized I've riden and worked on I always felt like the Brain was trying to fix something wrong with the suspension.

If I'm going to ride a bike with suspension I want it to work and not have to flip levers to get it to do that.

It is an active bike but the bigger gear you push and the harder you ride it the better it works.
    Well, first that is why I stay clear of the brain, not to mention the people I know here have had headaches with the brain. The other issue is this, what do you need a brain for if the suspension is as you say, "the harder you ride it the better it works."

As far as the RS Monarch, I don't have this on my bike, I have the RP23. I have been told before I make a switch to the JEt 9 RDO to switch the RP23 to the Monarch and I will feel the VPP really work sweet. What I have been told is Fox sets the RP23 for SC with a Med to small tune and the Monarch is med to large tuning, which I've been told really makes the Tallboy. Guys say the tune on the RP23 really screws up the Tallboys suspension characteristics and only performs well in certain gears.

The other thing is I don't have a Talus. I have a float 120mm 32 and i really like it. My complaint is if I don't want a white Fox 120, the option is a Talus. I called Color Cyclist and they told me the same thing. Only the Tallboy Kits have black Fox 32 float 120mm. I guess I could buy the white shock and have some one paint it for me.

Tell me what do you mean the JEt 9 RDO is an "active bike?"

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Dare I conclude you meant to compare the Jet 9 Carbon?

Well all three of these, as I've shopped them and am currently studying the matter, differ with what build you go with or if buy a kit bike. YOu can buy a frame then build it the way you want or a complete kit. Both companies offer this.

If you bought frames here is an example I found from Colo. Cyclist:
    Tallboy C v.1 - $2294
    Tallboy C v.2 - $2899.
    Jet 9 RDO v.1 - $2350
    Jet 9 RDO v.1 - $2049
    They don't have the Jet 9 Carbon or Jet 9 RDO in v.2 anywhere I have looked, I know they are available but I haven't seen them. I think the Jet 9 Carbon is a lower price pointed bike even though it looks just like Jet 9 RDO.

They seem comparable in price.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    The other thing is I don't have a Talus. I have a float 120mm 32 and i really like it. My complaint is if I don't want a white Fox 120, the option is a Talus. I called Color Cyclist and they told me the same thing. Only the Tallboy Kits have black Fox 32 float 120mm. I guess I could buy the white shock and have some one paint it for me.

Tell me what do you mean the JEt 9 RDO is an "active bike?"
    I misunderstood your original post. I thought you had the Talas fork on your Tallboy. I like the Float forks. I wish I had the F-29 Fit RLC now instead of the CTD just to get more control over the fork tuning.

As far as the Jet9 RDO being active. I just ment it doesnt lock out like the Monarch can or the Brain. It just gets firmed up on the Pro Pedal 3 setting. It is still active.