mtbr member
    May 2010

Help with EMD build

Hello Folks.
    Finally my medium EMD frame has arrived. I'm putting together a part list for my build using existing parts I have on hand and hopefully I don't have to purchase many parts.
    I'm missing a crankset, FD, seat post, handle bar.
    Any suggestion on the crankset?
    Sram, Shimano?
    After reading this forum, I'm still confuse about the FD, which one should I purchase?
    XTR, Sram X9? high mount, low mount? top pull, bottom pull? clamp size?
    I want to go with Thompson seatpost, which size should I get?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Thanks
    Andy

mtbr member

Is there room in your boat?

I'm in the planning stages of a similar build. Planning to buy a large EMD at the end of the season and build it up w/ the wheels and fork I have now, but w/ everything else new.

I can recommend that you go with a wide sweep flat bar on your build. I'm running an EA 70 flat bar on my current 29er that's very similar in spec to Niner's flat bar. I think Syncros makes a flat bar that fits the bill as well. It's a big improvement in position and leverage over the low riser bar I was using.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    The following information was taken from Niner's website. Without knowing your riding habits, many recommendations are difficult. Also, many are personal preferences.

All measurements based on a FOX 80mm travel fork with a 44mm offset
    31.6mm seat post, 400mm length recommended
    73mm bottom bracket shell
    34.9 front derailleur clamp, top pull, low mount (top swing)
    34.9mm seat clamp diameter

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Hey guys...I have an EMD that I built up as a 1x9 back in the fall. I LOVE that bike...and by the way, its in RootBeer! Excellent Color.

Anyway, where I ride, there are not any sustained climbs so I did not need all the gears up front. I just ran a Truvative Stylo 1.1 Crank and its perfect. I used a jump-stop guide to align the chain and its flawless. Running Shimano XT long cage in the rear just in case I ever needed to go with a triple up front. Useing Race Face Deus XC bar, stem, and seatpost, with a Selle Italia SLR seat. Reba SL 80mm up front. The only weak part are my wheels - cheap entry level 29ers - but planning on upgrading this fall sometime.

I love the bike as a 1x9. Simple, light, innexpensive. Niner Rocks!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS