mtbr member
    Jan 2004

A headset question and stem question for RIP9 owners

Just got my large frame (thank you speedgoat for a sick deal) and am starting the parts aquisition process.
    First: Any ideas where I can source an FSA integrated tapered headset.
    Second: I am a bit befuddled on what stem length I should go with. I am 6' and currently ride a large SIR9 with a 90mm 10d stem. I noticed that many taller folks are going with pretty short stems on their RIPs (one was 6'3" with a 70mm!). Based on this, I am considering a 70mm 10d. Should I go shorter? I know cockpit setup is a personal issue; I am just looking for some opinions.
    Thanks for the help
    B

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid
    Just got my large frame (thank you speedgoat for a sick deal) and am starting the parts aquisition process.
    First: Any ideas where I can source an FSA integrated tapered headset.
    Second: I am a bit befuddled on what stem length I should go with. I am 6' and currently ride a large SIR9 with a 90mm 10d stem. I noticed that many taller folks are going with pretty short stems on their RIPs (one was 6'3" with a 70mm!). Based on this, I am considering a 70mm 10d. Should I go shorter? I know cockpit setup is a personal issue; I am just looking for some opinions.
    Thanks for the help
    B
    I am also 6' tall and have a 70mm on my large ONE and a 50mm on my large RIP. So I think you are right to try a 70mm, or maybe go nuts and put a 70-80mm on your SIR and a 50mm on your RIP. All my stems have gotten shorter over the last few years, I used to have 90-100mm stems on my XC bikes and 70mm on my trail bikes, but I feel that going shorter has really helped my bikes come into their own. At our height, I think the Large Niner top tubes are long enough that going with really short stems works out nicely without giving a cramped feeling.

And of course, you are going to want a 29" handlebar. Anything less would be uncivilized. =)

Your frame should have included a headset, so start with a call to Speedgoat. They should be able to track one down for you.

Congratulations! Best Bike Ever!

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Lucid
    Any ideas where I can source an FSA integrated tapered headset.
    You can purchase one from Niner: http://store.ninerbikes.com/Frame-Pa...-Taper-Headset

--Greg

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6 foot on a large & use 100mm stem on both my Rip & Jet

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Thanks for the replies folks

I think I'll try out a 70mm 0d and see how that fairs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Hey guys, so all you who are 6 ft tall and using large or medium, what is your inseam? I have found a RIP9 frame online (cheap) and don't have a dealer around me so I need to order a size. My inseam is 33, and my height is 5 11.5. Any thoughts?
    Oh and I ride a 50mm stem.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by taptee View Post
    Hey guys, so all you who are 6 ft tall and using large or medium, what is your inseam? I have found a RIP9 frame online (cheap) and don't have a dealer around me so I need to order a size. My inseam is 33, and my height is 5 11.5. Any thoughts?
    Oh and I ride a 50mm stem.
    Hi,

I'm 6 ft & ride a Large Rip9 with 50mm stem.

I run my seat at 800mm high from top of the seat to BB ( inline with seat post )

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hi,

I'm 6 ft & ride a Large Rip9 with 50mm stem.

I run my seat at 800mm high from top of the seat to BB ( inline with seat post )
    What's your inseam and how is the top-tube clearance? Any trouble with manuals and agility?

I ordered a Large, and I am waiting for it to arrive.