XC Rider

Headset Issue Air 9

I have a brand new Air 9 Alum that I can not get the play out of the headset unless I crank down on the top cap then it is too tight. The headset goes from slight play to super tight with a half turn of the top cap. I checked the crown race to make sure it is seated properly and it is, I think the play is on the top side not the bottom. My bike came with a FSA headset but the bearings are not stamped so I can not confirm diameter but I would think Niner is on their game in that regard. What other headset are you guys running on the Air 9 and what came with your bike from Niner? I am thinking of trying a cane creek 40 series.
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Same problem here. It's the headset. I had to put FSA microspacers between the top bearing and the top cap. Fixed the issue.

XC Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by newportl View Post
    Same problem here. It's the headset. I had to put FSA microspacers between the top bearing and the top cap. Fixed the issue.
    So the top cap is compressing against the bearring too much makes sense, how many did you need?
    If You Don't Ride You'll Rust!

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I saw one that the rubber seal contacted the face of the head tube. With one really thin spacer under the dust cover it worked great.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I saw one that the rubber seal contacted the face of the head tube. With one really thin spacer under the dust cover it worked great.
    Yep, this is what happened to me. I just needed 3 or 4 tiny spacers.