Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Poser Great looking bike. XXI does look cool.

Wicketed
    The RDO is the best pedaling FS bike I have ever ridden.

The chain stays on just fine so far.

The 2nd RDO is for a friend I ride with, My wife has had her RDO for a year.

I have had my Tang RDO for a year as well & I'm still impressed how well it goes.
    Thanks....that's good to hear as I'm hoping to demo one as a racebike soon. I have an air9 and will either go hardtail RDO or the full suss option depending on how the latter pedals.
    Sorry to mix up who the second bike was for!
    'I've got a bike, you can ride it if you like. It's got a basket, a bell that rings, and things to make it look good' - Syd B

Fat & Single
    Some setup there Muzz
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

N2B
    mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Did you put the frames on a scale ?! Mine 2012 in tang size L is 2.53 kg ?!?!??

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for sharing. It's a great looking bike and fantastic build. Did you get the grip shifts?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by N2B View Post
    Did you put the frames on a scale ?! Mine 2012 in tang size L is 2.53 kg ?!?!??
    I didn't bother to weigh it, I build the light were I can but im still someone that will go for funtion over weight.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by donkeyrider View Post
    Thanks for sharing. It's a great looking bike and fantastic build. Did you get the grip shifts?
    I went with a trigger shifter.

My wife will ride my bike today to see what she thinks of the XX1, There are lots of places that we ride that it will really work for her.

Not having to change down to granny ring on the front in a tech climb will be good.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    The XX1 looks great but is probably beyond my fitness level, more power to those who don't need any more gearing to make the climbs. Granny is regrettably a best friend.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by etanc View Post
    The XX1 looks great but is probably beyond my fitness level, more power to those who don't need any more gearing to make the climbs. Granny is regrettably a best friend.
    Yes but you can just put a smaller front ring on if you are ridding big climbs because you probably don't need the higher gearing at the other end.

I Like the 32 front but have got a 30 & 28 as well.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Muzz, did you go with the BB30 Crankset for the XX1 or just the standard GXP type?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Ordinarybikes View Post
    Muzz, did you go with the BB30 Crankset for the XX1 or just the standard GXP type?
    I went with the GXP & 156Q because this group set was really brought for my Rip9 RDO when I get it.

I already have a couple of new BB30 X0 cranks so I thought I wouldn't buy another at this point, But may well be going XX1 on both bikes anyway.

My Tang RDO that i'm going to sell has BB30 XX cranks.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well a couple of weeks in now & I'm very happy with both the XX1.

I have put a 30 tooth front ring on to give it a try on some of the very steep hilly trails I'm doing at the moment & its nice but don't feel I need it that low.

I'm still only doing ruff trails on the bike at the moment to get ready for some trips away over christmas & the XX1 has not missed a beat.

I will be selling all my 2x10 stuff & I have quite a bit of it but just can't see myself going back.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Can you notice any difference with the 142x12?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Can you notice any difference with the 142x12?
    Yes I can, the bike is a bit more point & shoot when riding along heavy cambered track were you must stay on line.

I notice this with the flows but if someone was using something like crests it wouldn't be as sharp.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes I can, the bike is a bit more point & shoot when riding along heavy cambered track were you must stay on line.

I notice this with the flows but if someone was using something like crests it wouldn't be as sharp.
    Good point, rim selection and tire pressure make a difference with perception of flex. The 15QR feels a bit more solid in the rubble so I will go with 142x12 next time. Maybe the new jet 9c will eventually offer that as an option at a reasonable cost.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Good point, rim selection and tire pressure make a difference with perception of flex. The 15QR feels a bit more solid in the rubble so I will go with 142x12 next time. Maybe the new jet 9c will eventually offer that as an option at a reasonable cost.
    Well it the new Sir9 is 142x12 It can't be long before there are more Niners with 142x12 than without IMO

A good thing in the end but bound to upset some in the short term.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok I have just been for a 2 1/2 hour ride with my Jet9 RDO with full XX1 set up, But took the wheel with the XX1 cassette off & fitted the wheel with the 10 speed casette on it gave it a small tune & went out for my ride.

Here is how it went.

Shifter Rear cog
    1st 1st = mint
    2nd 2nd = mint
    3rd 3rd = mint
    4th 4th = mint
    5th 5th = mint
    6th 6th = mint
    7th 7th = mint
    8th 8th = mint
    9th 9th = mint
    10th 10th = clicking & not changing down
    11th 10th = mint

So is well usable & can work well, not perfect but for those that want to build a XX1 bike but cant get the free hub yet, short term you can get away with running the 10 speed cassette.

I hope this helps someone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Green RDO with XX1-green-rdo-reynolds-003.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Well a couple of weeks in now & I'm very happy with both the XX1.

I have put a 30 tooth front ring on to give it a try on some of the very steep hilly trails I'm doing at the moment & its nice but don't feel I need it that low.

I'm still only doing ruff trails on the bike at the moment to get ready for some trips away over christmas & the XX1 has not missed a beat.

I will be selling all my 2x10 stuff & I have quite a bit of it but just can't see myself going back.
    Old thread I know... Question to Muzz, you are selling your 2x10 stuff off. I've been considering 2x10 for my RDO build as I need the granny gear for steep climbs. My question is with XX1 do you miss not having that granny gear or is XX1 really that good? Seems they made it very versatile with the massive 11x42 cassette. Seems the idea is to make it to be all you ever need. What if your a semi strong rider, another words I'm not the strongest out there but can do ok. Considering the XX1 very strongly for my Jet 9 RDO build. Check this out:

SRAM XX 1 - CHAPTER 1: DEVELOPMENT - YouTube

SRAM XX 1 - CHAPTER 2: ENDURO - YouTube

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi

I brought a 30 & 28 tooth ring for my XX1 when I brought the group set, I ran it on the 32 tooth ring that cam on the cranks for about a month & then thought I would give the 30 a go & have been ridding it since & haven't bothered trying the 28.

We are riding some very steep tracks were you have to fight to keep the front wheel down, I have a friend that has been riding for 5 months & is 207 lb & has not done any fitness before.

He has been riding one of my bikes & needed my 22/36 2x10 setup to ge the up the hills

He has just brought a cheap closeout Rip9, I have been lending him my group sets so he can try befor he buys,

He has run the 22/36 2x10 with 11-36 cassette for 2 weeks, On Monday I put XX1 on it & fitted the 28 tooth ring that I had, after the 1st run down the hill & back up he said order me that, That is really good.

I could have done him a good deal on my 2x10 setup but he opted to pay top dollar for the XX1 & had to spend another $300 more on wheels as well to do it.

28-42 is about the same as 22-36 in feel when riding, I hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Old thread I know... Question to Muzz, you are selling your 2x10 stuff off. I've been considering 2x10 for my RDO build as I need the granny gear for steep climbs. My question is with XX1 do you miss not having that granny gear or is XX1 really that good? Seems they made it very versatile with the massive 11x42 cassette. Seems the idea is to make it to be all you ever need. What if your a semi strong rider, another words I'm not the strongest out there but can do ok. Considering the XX1 very strongly for my Jet 9 RDO build. Check this out:

SRAM XX 1 - CHAPTER 1: DEVELOPMENT - YouTube

SRAM XX 1 - CHAPTER 2: ENDURO - YouTube

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks Muzz, yes that does help. Seems the XX1 with that massive cassette gearing will make a 2x unneeded. I guess its going to be XX1 for me.

One more thing Muzz, you have the SRAM XX1 "trigger shifters" correct? Are they like the Shimano XTR and XT trigger shifters that allow you to push till you double click and it skips gears really fast and does the same on the pulling?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Rev. 14 View Post
    Thanks Muzz, yes that does help. Seems the XX1 with that massive cassette gearing will make a 2x unneeded. I guess its going to be XX1 for me.

One more thing Muzz, you have the SRAM XX1 "trigger shifters" correct? Are they like the Shimano XTR and XT trigger shifters that allow you to push till you double click and it skips gears really fast and does the same on the pulling?
    Changing to a harder gear it will only go 1 gear per push but will change as quick as you can pull the trigger,

Going to an easyer gear it will go many gears at a time if you push the leaver far enough, However I only ever go a max of 2 gears at once because the clutch type deraileur does put more presser on the chain & I don't want to be to ruff on a cassette that costs that much.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    As I see the Next SL 2x10 crankset complete with BB is 55g's lighter than XX1; however, the biggest benefit that I contemplate is not so much saving the 55g's but in the speed of change:

Someone said, and I couldn't have said it better, "Come to a bottom of a hill, fly around a corner: ‘Wow! Steep climb!’ Dump the front derailleur and you’re at least in the ball park (ready-quick-n-fast) for the climb."

Do you people who ride 1x systems not miss that? How about the few who are on the XX1 groupset, do you miss it? This is my concern.

Being that I am not the strongest of riders, my concern is shifting into the climb trying to get into that right gear while into the hill. I don't like shifting too much while in a climb, especially a steep one and putting a strain on this expensive groupo, then to have to get off and walk because I was not in the right gear.

mtbr member
    Couple of things -
    It may be lighter for the crank/bb but it won't be lighter overall once you add the left shifter and f. der.
    When you drop to an easier chainring that takes what, maybe a second and a half to settle into the new rhythm? That doesn't happen when you move through a tightly spaced cogset. The last two huge cogs of XX1 might feel weird but it's way more fluid then dropping to a smaller chainring.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Shifting the front ring is approximately equivalent to 2 gears on the rear, and if you're down-shifting you can do it in one motion. Not to mention the rear shifts faster and you don't risk dropping your chain.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I have to rep because of all the great points brought out here: MUZZ, limba, and spsoon.

Duh, forgot the left shifter and front der. Again thanks for all the help. Its nice to be apart of MTBR and learn from experts of which I am still learning.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast