mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Is GoofOff safe for a carbon frame?

In a severe case of irony, the helicopter tape I used to protect my new niner looks terrible. I want to take it off. However it leaves some terrible residue. I want to use Goofoff to remove the adhesive residue. Does anyone know if this is safe? Is there some other adhesive remover that can be used on carbon frames?

Thanks in advance

Martin

mtbr member
    That may be a tough call. I would take a little on a rag and try the least conspicuous/critical area and see for a reaction in a small spot. Is the finish enamel or gelcoat? If it is the fiber gelcoat a good place to ask might be a dirt bike/moto shop if they have a product for that.
    '93 Giant Sedona ATX custom
    '93 Giant Sedona AtX aero-edition
    '73 Schwinn Suburban
    '95 Fuji Suncrest

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I would not trust Internet knowledge for that question.

I also doubt that GoofOff or a bike manufacture will give you an unambiguous (we will replace it if we are wrong) yes either. Not sure anyone would say, No way our cleaner with react with whatever epoxy, etc. make up the resin holding your carbon fibers together.

I think I would stick to old fashioned soap and water, rubbing alcohol, or maybe WD-40 - only because I have used WD-40 - but that is not a guarantee.

MSDS GoofOff Looks like it is a composition with detergenty stuff, some surfactant, and bleachy stuff thrown in.

mtbr member
    FWIW I've used Goo Gone a few times on my RDO and it didn't seem to be a problem. I also wax where adhesives will be stuck in an attempt to facilitate later removal- seems to help.

In a similar vein, I always wondered if grease is a problem with carbon frames with continual contact- such as near linkages and headsets(especially fully integrated ones )

mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Is GoofOff safe for a carbon frame?

One day when I have collected a bunch of carbon frames I will dunk one in acetone to see what happens. I tested and saw no ill effects so I think I am good.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    I often use acetone to remove adhesive residue. I think there was one clear plastic bashguard that it affected.

I suggest trying acetone and a rag on a small inconspicuous area and see if it affects the sheen of the coating underneath.