mtbr member
    Oct 2010

front fork for '10 RIP 9

I had a lefty wheelset from my previous bike that I transferred over to my RIP but knew that the RIP's geometry called for a 120-140mm travel fork. So I got cheap, purchased a 140mm lefty max and had spacers put in it for a 110mm travel on this 29er thinking that being short 10mm wouldn't make that big of a difference.

For the most part it hasn't and I've really enjoyed my RIP. But on more than one occasion, my front end has washed out in a slow left turn. It has gotten to the point that I'm overly cautious when approaching such a turn even purposely coming out of my left clip to make sure I don't go down. So now I'm looking for the best fork at a reasonable price. I see a lot of Fox Talas forks in the pics of the RIP 9 setup thread but I'd like to hear what others have really good experiences with.....

mtbr member
    I'm running a Manitou Tower Pro 120mm on mine. I'm liking this fork more and more as I get miles on it.

Dirt Bike Craig
    I really like my Fox Float 140 on my RIP9 but I live for the descents
    Check out my photography on RedBubble http://www.redbubble.com/people/fmxdbc

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Wouldn't the front end be more likely to wash out if you had a longer fork (less weight on the front end) than a shorter one? I had the same problem when I first got my rip, I switched to a less aggressive back tire and now the rear always looses traction before the front washes out. My fox 120 RL has been a good match for the rear shock, although I do wish I had a RLC.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I don't think it's the fork alone that's causing the problem. What is the sag in the front and rear? What are the tires you're running and at what pressures? Also, does it only happen in left turns? This would point to body position and riding style a lot more than equipment...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sag is 25% in the rear. Tires are Panaracer Rampage 2.35 up front (tubeless at 22 #'s brand new) and Nobby Nic 2.2 in the rear (with tube at 32 #'s) This only happens in left turns. I have not nor ever will claim to have flawless technique but I have been riding for a few years now and this is a NEW development on a trail I ride weekly. The primary difference lately is a change in bikes with a fork that is 10mm shorter than what Niner recommends.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So it only happens in left hand turns and you have an asymmetric fork called a "lefty", you have different size, compound and tread pattern tyres front and rear, but you still think 10mm of travel deficiency is causing the problem? Sag alone should be over 25mm. Maybe try playing with your amount of sag and see if it makes a difference.

Question, why did you put the spacers in to reduce the travel from 140 to 110? Is there a simple fix to the travel issue by removing some of the spacers?

I just sold my RIP with a 140mm Reba and when I used to ride it, if I had the fork and tyre pressures a bit too low the whole front end felt squishy and could feel a bit like what you described, but in either direction.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I do think the 10mm travel deficiency is causing the problem as my LBS has spoken with Niner and Project 321 concerning this issue and both agree that this very likely the cause for my issues. Spacers were placed in the lefty as it has 140mm travel for 26" bikes and 110mm travel (with spacers) for a 29er. I'm going to stiffen up the travel on the lefty a bit and see if that helps.