mtbr member

Frame swap - Giant XTC1 --> Niner EMD? (X-post from 29er forum)

So about a year and half ago I bought my first 29er - a 2011 Giant XTC1. I spent the time since then riding it and slowly upgrading most of the components to the point where the only thing that's original is the frame. I like the bike, in fact more so than my 26er FS, but I'm not in love with it. For some reason we haven't clicked.

I've got a chance to pick up a 2012 EMD frame, in my size from a local seller, in great shape for a good price. I am strongly considering it, as I have wanted a Niner for a while, though the EMD was not really on my radar. Both frames are about the same weight, both aluminum. Picking up the Niner would require a new post and maybe a new FD (though I may just go 1X10). From the aesthetic standpoint, I much prefer the looks of the Niner. Any drawbacks going from the inset headset on the Giant to the ZS on the Niner?

I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts - good idea, bad idea or personal preference?

mtbr member
    Just check the Geo specs and see if its what you want.
    "Never mistake motion for action."

"If I can bicycle, I bicycle."

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    This sounds exactly like me last year. I bought a giant xtc-1 couldn't fall in love with it...and now I owe 3 Niners. I have a One9 scandium, Air9C, and a Rip9...love all my girlfriends equally...hehe, one note, I sized down from small to medium per ETT...only drawback...shorter seat tube...Thomson 410mm post fixes that.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Cool - bought the frame and waiting for it to get here!

So just to clarify, you went from small to medium or the other way around?

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    I went from medium to small. Miners top tubes run a size up and seat tubes a size down. It's a real steep triangle.
    www.wnymba.org

Niner Air9C

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    Niners*
    www.wnymba.org

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayor69PRS View Post
    I went from medium to small. Miners top tubes run a size up and seat tubes a size down. It's a real steep triangle.
    If you don't mind me asking, how tall are you? Inseam? I'm a bit nervous now that the frame may be too big.

For reference, I'm 5'10" with a 31" inseam and ride a medium XTC1 with a layback Thomson post and a 90 mm 0 deg stem.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm 5' 10" and have a medium EMD that fits me well.

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    Looks about right. I'm 5'8" and like running a slightly longer stem to keep the front end down. About average in torso and legs. My buddies that are a little taller such a your self ride mediums.
    www.wnymba.org

Niner Air9C

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hsb3 View Post
    I'm 5' 10" and have a medium EMD that fits me well.
    Ditto. 5'10", 30" inseam, long-ish torso... the Medium fits me like a glove.

I also did a frame swap from a M Gravity 29point5 (generic Fisher Cobia, Trek X-cal) to a (used) M Niner EMD. I LOVE IT.

The EMD is smooth, forgiving and FAST. I even wrote Niner an email because I couldn't believe the difference a frame swap made. Their rep (who lives an hour north of me in Fort Collins, CO) emailed back to thank me and explained how the rear triangle is designed to be torsionally/laterally stiff yet vertically compliant... for a smooth, dialed ride.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Frame swap - Giant XTC1 --> Niner EMD? (X-post from 29er forum)-306121_10100978115570413_601643388_n.jpg  

Frame swap - Giant XTC1 --> Niner EMD? (X-post from 29er forum)-527607_10101059809979163_1029411188_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post

I also did a frame swap from a M Gravity 29point5 (generic Fisher Cobia, Trek X-cal) to a (used) M Niner EMD. I LOVE IT.

The EMD is smooth, forgiving and FAST. I even wrote Niner an email because I couldn't believe the difference a frame swap made. Their rep (who lives an hour north of me in Fort Collins, CO) emailed back to thank me and explained how the rear triangle is designed to be torsionally/laterally stiff yet vertically compliant... for a smooth, dialed ride.
    Just what I wanted to hear! Picking up the bike today. Your pics make me miss the front range!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    Just what I wanted to hear! Picking up the bike today. Your pics make me miss the front range!
    Well... Have you ridden it yet? I rode my Niner EMD today! :-) I rode Dakota Ridge which is a rocky technical ride. I passed two Ibis Mojo's (one on an uphill, one on a technical rocky downhill) and a full squish specialized... They looked at me like I was nuts. :-)

mtbr member
    No rides yet - the week has been unkind to me. But here it is. Still waiting for the red headset spacers to come in, but essentially finished. 26.8 # as she stands now.

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by trumpus View Post
    No rides yet - the week has been unkind to me. But here it is. Still waiting for the red headset spacers to come in, but essentially finished. 26.8 # as she stands now.

A beauty!
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hokiebrett View Post
    Same, just under 5'10", 30" in-seam. Riding a M Air9 Scandium with a Thompson setback post and an 80mm 6 deg stem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
    Same, just under 5'10", 30" in-seam. Riding a M Air9 Scandium with a Thompson setback post and an 80mm 6 deg stem.
    Ditto again.

Thompson post (non-setback), 6*, 80 mm Sunline XC-One stem, 680 mm RaceFace Deus bars with 3/4" rise and a light back sweep. Niner actually recommend that you DO NOT set up the cockpit of their bikes like you would a 26er. Specifically, they recommend a shorter stem and wider bars.