mtbr member
    Jun 2007

First time build with a RIP 9, couple questions

I've employed the specified XT front der. I have appx 2mm of clearance between the large chainring's teeth and the outside of the der cage. On the workstand shifting is a little sketchy. The chain grinds on the cage and hesitates to complete the shift. On the road with some weight on the suspension it's mostly better, but still a little hesitant at times to complete the upshift. Rookie builder issue in the up and down placement of the der on the seat tube? Cage is inline with the chainrings.

On the smallest chainring, and the 34 tooth cog of the cassette, the chain JUST clears the rearmost section of the front der cage. When on any other cog of the cassette, the chain will actually ride on the cross section/back tail of the front der cage. Again, with some weight on the suspension in a real world application, it's alright.

Just wondering if these are issues with my placement/tuning of the front der and even though it's fine with weight on it I should keep tweaking and tuning, or if this is standard and it doesn't matter because it's fine with weight on it.

Other then this, I'm stoked on the build and looking forward to trying it out. Have been working on suspension settings this morning.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi I don't worry to much how it goes on the stand,So I would not worry to much if it is working good when riding.

On my rip9 I run with the rear of the front derailier about 1/2 of a mm further out from the frame than the front of the derailier & it works good for me.

Hope you like your new bike.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yeah that's what I figured, but thought I'd check and see if something else was wrong that I wasn't noticing. Will be taking it out tomorrow as long as it holds together around the block today. Nice enough on perfectly flat asphalt so far

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by socalchef
    Yeah that's what I figured, but thought I'd check and see if something else was wrong that I wasn't noticing. Will be taking it out tomorrow as long as it holds together around the block today. Nice enough on perfectly flat asphalt so far
    What spec did you bild it to ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Bought everything off eBay or craigslist for the most part, usually half or more off list. Came in at aboutthe cost of a 29er stumpjumper. Chain cranks and stem were all that was new. X.0 med cage rear and trigger shifters, xt cranks and front, Thomson stem and seat post, flow rims on dt 440 hubs. Temp bars on right now, likely end up wth gravity or edge carbon. Was advertised as a Reba team fork, decal on the tubes say SL though. 20mm maxle and tapered steerer though. Rear has 15mm maxle.
    Last edited by socalchef; 08-28-2010 at 08:17 PM.

Flaccid Member
    The up and down where the front derailleur sits on the seat tube is uber critical on these bikes. Every time you change the height, it changes the cable length too. I've set mine up to be dead on centered, top and bottom portion of the cage, and straight front to back in middle ring and 5th gear. I set the height of the derailleur by the big ring gear being cleared by the derailleur by about 2mm at the closest point, height wise, on the seat post. Then readjust the cable, then readjust the barrel adjuster on the shifter pod.

mtbr member
    pics dude... we wanna see!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Thanks for the detail RandyBoy. I'll double check where I've got it set tonight. Took it on a singletrack ride yesterday and I really enjoyed the bike. No pics, don't know why but it didn't occur to me to shoot any. I bounced around between open and propedal, the suspension design really is great. I think I've got a good starting point for air pressure on the RP23 and the Reba as well. No long climbs, no rutted out and rocky descents...but some rocky creek beds, some short and steep climbs, lots of tight stuff. I'm extremely happy with the bike and feel like I've found 'the one' for me

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    totally spaced on pics while on the trail, this is all i've got right now

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by socalchef
    Bought everything off eBay or craigslist for the most part, usually half or more off list. Chain cranks and stem were all that was new. X.0 med cage rear and trigger shifters, xt cranks and front
    I would wonder if you would be better off with a long cage rear derailleur? Sounds like you are running an 11-34 cassette and XT cranks that I assume are 44/32/22. That gives you a tooth spread of (34 - 11 = 23) + (44 - 22 = 22) = 45 This thread illustrates the spreads and ratings of various derailleurs.

And before you hammer away in the middle ring off road, please don't hesitate to read the thread on clearance up front with XT cranks.

Nice looking build you've got.

BB
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    I would wonder if you would be better off with a long cage rear derailleur? Sounds like you are running an 11-34 cassette and XT cranks that I assume are 44/32/22. That gives you a tooth spread of (34 - 11 = 23) + (44 - 22 = 22) = 45 This thread illustrates the spreads and ratings of various derailleurs.

And before you hammer away in the middle ring off road, please don't hesitate to read the thread on clearance up front with XT cranks.

Nice looking build you've got.

BB
    Bruce, thanks for the links. I'll take a look when I've got some time to dedicate. I'm giving the medium cage a shot, if I don't care for the fewer combos or break a chain, I'll stick it on a 1x9 I've got. I wanted to see for myself if the shifting performance changed enough to make it worth it. Interesting bit about the XT cranks as well, as they are one of the more populars sets I've seen on build pics.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    took it out a couple of times this weekend, all very nice. love the suspension on this, and the finish has held up well. two of the three rides i've taken it on have had quite a bit of dried brush leaning out onto the trail, no scratches that are noticeable on the frame from it. Rode Blackstar yesterday, a ~6 mile climb and then singletrack down the majority of it. Rode open on the way up, so much better then the FSR with propedal on, much more versatile then the FSR full locked, ridiculously smooth on the singletrack on the way down. Fair amount of rain ruts and boobytraps, it performed admirably, certainly beyond my abilities.

Flaccid Member
    And another one finds out the RIP is a bike that you grow into, not out of. Nice build!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    rode this morning and weighed it on the scale at work, 30 pounds. i figured it would be at 32, a completely unestimated guess. It's built much better/stronger then my old hardtail, and still lighter then the old hardtail. How about that. The scale is a little over "actual" I guess, another guy at work has an air9, bike scale says 21.8, work scale says 22, so maybe I'm below the magical 30? I don't care. It rides friggin' awesome. Rode this morning, then rode it again tonight, fastest time yet on the easy 11 mile loop in town. The ride was silky smooth this weekend, but I noticed I used up all my travel, so I played with the air pressures a bit and added ~10 pounds front and back. Firmed it up quite a bit, and still used all the travel. Not a whole lot, but more chunk then this past weekends trail, so I plan to play with the rebound a little to see if that changes the feel of it, and maybe play with the negative pressure a bit on the Reba. I raised that as well before today's rides.

Taking it out saturday again because a buddy wants to check it out, going to play with the front der a little more and try to dial it in just a little better. Will try out your tricks and tips, thanks everyone.