mtbr member
    Sep 2008

First ride on '12 Rip 9

Instead of waiting to post my thoughts after my first ride I decided to make a preemptive strike as I assume I will love this bike. I just got done building my 2012 Rip 9 with the following specs:

As built: 26lbs 14oz
    Medium
    Licorice w/ red accents
    2013 Fox Talas 120mm
    I9 wheels set
    Full XTR 2X10 drive train
    Avid Elixr 9 brakes
    King BB and Headset (red of course)
    Niner RDO Carbon Post, Bar, and Stem
    Selle SLR saddle
    XTR Pedals
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron front / Furious Fred rear

I am super stoked to get out on it for the first time tonight. I am coming off a 26" Ellsworth ID so I am sure it will be an adjustment but just cruising on the street, the bike feels incredible!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails First ride on '12 Rip 9-2012-rip-9.jpg  

Back of the pack fat guy
    Jan 2004
    That bike has so much bling I'd be afraid to even sit on it, much less ride it! Nice build.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Thanks! The final build definitely exceeded the vision I had going into it. It will be a shame to get it dirty.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by crazycarlmtbkr View Post
    Instead of waiting to post my thoughts after my first ride I decided to make a preemptive strike as I assume I will love this bike. I just got done building my 2012 Rip 9 with the following specs:

As built: 26lbs 14oz
    Medium
    Licorice w/ red accents
    2013 Fox Talas 120mm
    I9 wheels set
    Full XTR 2X10 drive train
    Avid Elixr 9 brakes
    King BB and Headset (red of course)
    Niner RDO Carbon Post, Bar, and Stem
    Selle SLR saddle
    XTR Pedals
    Schwalbe Rocket Ron front / Furious Fred rear

I am super stoked to get out on it for the first time tonight. I am coming off a 26" Ellsworth ID so I am sure it will be an adjustment but just cruising on the street, the bike feels incredible!
    I believe you do win the award for being the first ever to show a RIP 9 with a Furious Fred mounted up on the bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Actually, the Fred wasn't the issue although I am curious why you're not a fan. The Ron was the problem. It was awful! Instead of rolling over the sand, the Ron wanted to dig in and took away all my momentum. I had heard that about Rocket Rons but since I had one I thought I would give it a shot. It will be coming off the bike today. I use Ralph's on my rigid 29er and those always seem to work great regardless of the conditions. The Ron seems to have a pretty square edge compared to Ralphs. I have to believe that is what causes the digging in. Even though the Fred wasn't an issue I am probably going to swap it out for a Ralph as well since I know what to expect with those.

As for the rest of the first ride, the bike felt great but I definitely have some fit tweaks to make. It was a night ride so I wasn't at race pace but I could tell that the bike responded very well in the technical sections. I was afraid it wouldn't be as nimble as I was accustomed to with my ID but I can't say I felt any real issues with its flickability. Besides the front tire, one of the only real issues I had wasn't anything with the bike but I was having difficulty finding the right gear ratio on the 2X10 29er set up. Once I get that figured out things should be a lot smoother.

There are a couple of adjustments I need to make; namely, I need to flip the stem negative and raise the seat a hair. Also I need to repair my rear wheel. My friend crashed in front of me and in the process of avoiding him, looking back I should have run him over, I managed to put a 2" branch in my rear spokes. I broke one and bent another. Luckily I9 sends extras!

mtbr member
    That seems really light! Must be the tires?