mtbr member

First Niner RIP 9 - what size

I consider buying my first Niner RIP 9, and first 29er too. I am not sure about the size I should go with... I am 5.9 and it is the end of small size and somewhere in the middle of medium size. What are your suggestions, experience, please...

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I'm 5'7 1/2 Just sold my medium frame and bought a small. Rode fine til I pointed it down hill, then I was way to far forwards. Niners run long in the top tube. Compare what you are on to the top tube length on their site and figure it out from there. But i am thinking medium.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I would say med for sure, I'm 3 " taller than you & love my Lge

I have 2 friends 5'9 & 1 at 5'10 all on med Rip9's & they love the fit.

mtbr member
    I'm 5'9". I'd go small, but I like bikes with shorter front centers and shorter top tubes. Any chance you can try both? I own a med rip 9 and tried a small at a demo. After that I was bummed I bought the med.
    My favorite bike is my small karate monkey. 24.5 inch front center. I can turn on that bike like no other! But it is terrain and feel dependent so asking an internet crowd will only get you so far.

mtbr member
    Thanks guys for responses. It's hard to demo Niner in Midwest, Chicago area where I live. I tested other brands 29ers and I feel comfortable on small and medium. So, that is why the decision is so difficult. I am not sure. I ride 26 now and I am afraid that 29 is going to be higher already and medium could be too big then, even if it fits my size. I ride trails with many turns and I think small would be easier for technical terrain. All just assumptions

mtbr member
    Good luck! You'll love either size at your size. The rip rips!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by rafalmtb View Post
    I consider buying my first Niner RIP 9, and first 29er too. I am not sure about the size I should go with... I am 5.9 and it is the end of small size and somewhere in the middle of medium size. What are your suggestions, experience, please...
    What seat height do you run ?

NMBP
    I would think medium, but maybe just give Niner a call and see what they think.

mtbr member
    Thanks again for your advice. I am not sure about the seat height. I need to measure it. I keep it pretty high. I know that small sizes have shorter seatposts. I might call Niner too.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hello
    I ride a Niner Rip 9. I am 5,9 195. I went to U bikes in boulder and rode a Medium and it felt tall. I ended up buying a Small I do run my seat a little high but I love the fit and handling. It a great bike for sure.
    Mark

mtbr member
    Mark, this is important that you are 5.9 tall too. I will take it seriously into consideration. I will meet with my friend in two weeks. He has medium size Niner Rip 9 2012, so at least I will have a chance to ride medium for now to see. I would love to be in Boulder and check the store there but Chicago is a different story regarding mtb bikes inventory