I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008

First NINER (jet9rdo) and build project

Leaving the Specialized band wagon and my Epic Comp 29er in favor of a shiny new Jet 9 RDO. I saw one at the trailhead, tracked down a demo, and now I have a green frame on the way. First carbon frame. First new bike purchase ever. First Niner.

I'm pretty excited to set some personal bests on my local trails and ride some of my other favorites on a completely different trail machine. I am having my old LBS that isn't a Niner dealer build it for me since I trust the owner who is a personal friend. Can you guys who built them yourself offer any tips or tricks to pass along to assist them in their first Niner RDO build ( I think ).

Here is what I'm working with so far:
    J9RDO Medium frameset
    SID 120mm rct3 15mm
    Arch EX ZTR 3.30 wheels
    XX1 drivetrain
    Chris King PF30 BB
    Easton EC90 low rise bar
    RDO stem 80mm
    Kore carbon i-beam seatpost
    SDG ifly saddle
    Crank Bros Candy1 pedals
    Nobby Nick EVO SS 29x2.35 F/29x2.25R

Considering updated brakes and swapping to a Crest/ztr 3.30 wheelset.

-Has anyone purchased and installed a kit from Frameskin.com?

I should have some shots in its native habitat by the end of next week if everything works out as planned.

mtbr member
    Sounds like you are putting together one fast and light XC beast!

I can not recommend carbon hoops enough, especially for 29ers. You will get the strength and stiffness of an all mountain 26er wheel with the weight of a WW XC wheel. The bigger wheel bikes really come alive with the stiffer wheelsets. Order some LB XC carbon rims and have your LBS build them up to the hubs of your choice. If you just really can't wait to get on the new bike I would get some very inexpensive "placeholder" wheels until the LB rims arrive. If you can manage the expense and want something quicker, go for the Rovals or better yet the ENVE.

Just my thoughts, YMMV. But, if you don't take my advice your bike will basically suck.

mtbr member

First NINER (jet9rdo) and build project

Isn't the jet 9 speced for a 100mm fork? The 120mm might be to big.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    I have the same bike and really enjoy it. The build is very simple on the newer frames. There is really nothing tricky at all. The older ones that routed the rear shifter cable into the bottom bracket area were a bit tricky, but the new routing is very simple.

You might want to tell them to put some foam on the rear cable to keep it from slapping around in the frame. That really annoyed me until I put foam donuts on it. Now the bike is totally silent.

Carbon is a bit fragile depending on where you ride. The frameskin stuff will help a little, but won't really protect from a good hard hit. I put this stuff on my frame in key areas.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynlxj7X86Nw

Does an amazing job of protecting the frame.

The frame can run 100mm or 120 fork. I like it with a 120 personally.

I agree on the carbon rims, but it still rides good without them. Just not as snappy or stiff. I'm actually running flows on mine right now while getting the hub on my carbon rim fixed.

mtbr member
    The frame is definitely designed for both 100 and 120mm forks. I ran the 2013 and 2014 versions with a 100mm Reba that I removed a spacer and got it up to 110mm. I am pretty sure I would have liked the 120 better, but I never had the chance. The 100mm fork without a dropper will make this bike feel pretty exclusively like a XC race only rig. The 120mm should give it a bit more versatility, especially when it gets rough.

The newer cable routing is way better than before. The foam around the rear der housing that is inside the down tube is a must. You will also probably need a small zip tie at either end of the RD housing to keep it from working loose inside the frame.

For frame protection, I use helicopter tape. It comes in rolls and you cut the pieces yourself to fit. I'm sure the frame skins kit is easier, but without ever using one, I couldn't say if it covers all the sections you would want.
    Last edited by oaklandish; 04-23-2014 at 08:39 AM. Reason: clarification

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    What do guys mean with foam donuts? Do you have a pic?

mtbr member
    I am not exactly sure on the donuts but, I used a foam tape that came in sheets when I was soundproofing my wife's Subaru Forester. It was about about 1/16"-1/8" thick. I cut it to a width equal to the circumference of the housing, then wrapped it around the housing after marking the length that was inside the downtube of the frame. Takes a bit of finagling and there probably are simpler solutions, but that is what I did and it works great. I did it on my Jet9RDO and my Rip9RDO.

mtbr member
    Jet 9 is sweet with 120 fork!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by oaklandish View Post
    I am not exactly sure on the donuts but, I used a foam tape that came in sheets when I was soundproofing my wife's Subaru Forester. It was about about 1/16"-1/8" thick. I cut it to a width equal to the circumference of the housing, then wrapped it around the housing after marking the length that was inside the downtube of the frame. Takes a bit of finagling and there probably are simpler solutions, but that is what I did and it works great. I did it on my Jet9RDO and my Rip9RDO.
    KK thx. You did the complete housing that is inside the downtube?

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Im deciding on a new post and was wondering if any of you guys run 7x9 carbon rails with Niner RDO post

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sand0kan View Post
    KK thx. You did the complete housing that is inside the downtube?
    Not the area around the steerer/headtube but, pretty much within a few inches of the length of the down tube before it leaves the frame again. That probably wasn't necessary as the housing should be held in place and taut when you zip tie the ends outside of the frame. I just didn't want to have to do it more than once.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    To answer my own question yes it does according to my local source. On another note, I have everything for the build in hand; dropping it off at the shop on WednesdayFirst NINER (jet9rdo) and build project-img_1602.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    You have a nice project there, I'm sure you will love it.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Thanks man Im hoping I love it as much as the demo. Im pretty sure I only learned to love my Epic. I am anxious to get it from the shop Thursday and check the fit with the 80mm stem. Does everyone run a flat or -6/8 degree stems? Hard to tell from pics sometime. All of this extra time waiting has left me with too much free time on my hands to think about how everything will be. Excited is an understatement

mtbr member
    I run a 90mm at 6+. It really is a preference thing. To make it a little more trail oriented a 70mm is nice to get your weight back and loft the front easier. Some like it lower and longer for XC climbs.

I have mine built as an aggressive XC/Trail setup with more trail capability. Running a dropper post (reverb) really made it a more versatile bike.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Im heading in the same direction myself, Brightsky, looking for that trail feel too.

I ran an 85mm on the Epic and it still felt tough to get the bars for some steeper creek crossings so I was hoping the 80@ +6 would be slightly better. Maybe some placebo effect in there too. Which 70 are you using?

I don't think I have ruled out a dropper yet. The reviews on this bike with the 120mm fork on trails is what pushed me into finding a demo.

Carbon & Ti rule
    With a dropper seat post you will be surprised just how good a trail bike it makes.

I put the dropper into both of mine from day 1, Also ran 2.35 & 2.4 tires full time as well.

I'm 6 ft & run a Lge & 50mm 0deg stem with Niner carbon bars.

Quote Originally Posted by sellemt View Post
    Im heading in the same direction myself, Brightsky, looking for that trail feel too.

I ran an 85mm on the Epic and it still felt tough to get the bars for some steeper creek crossings so I was hoping the 80@ +6 would be slightly better. Maybe some placebo effect in there too. Which 70 are you using?

I don't think I have ruled out a dropper yet. The reviews on this bike with the 120mm fork on trails is what pushed me into finding a demo.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Watched a few of your vids. What short,shiny stem is that? Looks like some nice trails you have out there

Carbon & Ti rule
    Watched a few of your vids. What short,shiny stem is that? Looks like some nice trails you have out there
    It is a Easton Haven Mag stem.

mtbr member

I actually have a 90mm on it now. Mainly because I ride it on some very long climbs and occasionally race it in XC and endurance events.

I currently have a 2010 RIP as my everyday trail bike, but it is being parted out next for my 2014 WFO9 build;-). I will have a 50mm stem on it.

I still think the best upgrade I ever did on any bike was a dropper post. It transforms the way you ride and it is hard to live without it once you have had one. The only downside (these days) is a little weight, but it is very much worth it.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Well she is built and I am liking her so far. I was only able to get in a few miles the first ride before my knee started giving me trouble so I am going to take it easy for a few sessions before I try to see how she does on some worthy terrain. I ended up ordering a new set of XTR trail brakes that will be here next week but this is what the bike looks like as of now.First NINER (jet9rdo) and build project-img_1627.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Well she is built and I am liking her so far. I was only able to get in a few miles the first ride before my knee started giving me trouble so I am going to take it easy for a few sessions before I try to see how she does on some worthy terrain. I ended up ordering a new set of XTR trail brakes that will be here next week but this is what the bike looks like as of now.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1627.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	208.5 KB 
ID:	890035
    Nice.

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    First NINER (jet9rdo) and build project-photo-4.jpg

I got the RDO onto to proper trails over the weekend.

I couldn't be more pleased with the bike. The suspension is buttery smooth and the CVA link yielded little/no pedal bob when climbing even with suspension in trail mode. Coming from a Specialized Brain FSR, I felt zero drop in pedal efficiency and huge gains in descent comfort and speed. Sections I have ridden 50 times seemed faster and more solid. One of my concerns was the climbing ability compared to the Epic and I felt like the bike climbed slightly better and stay glued to the trail even on some of the steeper stuff. Most of the awesomeness was expected going to a CF, fully active suspension with more more travel. The technical rocky situations were much easier to negotiate @24lbs and the bike seemed go where ever I pointed it. In descent mode, the suspension was super nice for some high speed descents. I cringe at the sound of rocks hitting the frame while doing 20+ though.

-Set up with the 80mm +6 stem and the fit was right on after some seat adjustment.

-installing XTR race front brakes this week

I take 14,000 ft drops
    Jul 2008
    Installed the M988 XTR Trail brakes and love them. Power is ridiculous and modulation is great. Crest 29 wheel set is looking like the next big addition. Debating Ti 3.30s, DT240s, or stock 3.30's depending on price and availability.