Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

... and if we just ... First Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc

This is my first Niner and first cross country race bike. A big thank you to the other Jet 9 RDO owners who have posted in this forum, and especially the Jet 9 + XX1 owners that inspired my build. I have taken this bike for just two rides, but a string of PRs and some KOMs in a popular riding area are the "proof in the pudding" that this is a race-worthy bike! A couple of components on this bike that are rare right now include the new Thomson Carbon Flat 730 mm bars and the new I9 Torch 24 spoke wheels. XX1 is so good. I decided to run a full-length rear derailleur cable along with the rear brake line---simple and looks good IMO. I absolutely love this bike! First race will be True Grit 50 on March 16. (Yes, I know the brake lines need to get shortened, will do soon!)

First Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo-3.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo-4.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo-1.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo-2.jpg

Total with frame protection, pedals, ready to ride: 23.7 lbs / 10.75 kg

Components with actual weights in grams
    Niner Jet 9 RDO, black, medium 2343
    Fox Float CTD, black, 100mm 1566
    Ergon SM3 Pro Carbon 220
    Syntace Hiflex P6 Full Carbon Seatpost 226
    Thomson Carbon Flat Bar, 730mm wide 179
    Race Face Turbine Stem, 90mm, -6 deg rise 132
    Ergon GS1 grips 159
    Industry Nine Torch Trail 24 wheelset (with tubeless tape and stems) 1570
    DT Swiss RWS Aluminum Lever Thru Bolt 69
    XX1 Cassette 266
    XX1 Chain 254
    XX1 Crankset 175mm, 156mm Q-factor with 32t ring 573
    XX1 Rear Derailleur 244
    XX1 Trigger Shifter 109
    SRAM full length rear derailleur housing & cable 63
    SRAM XX1 PF30 Bottom Bracket 88
    Shimano PD-M780 XT Race Pedal 339
    Shimano XTR Race BR-M985 Brake, Front 226
    Shimano XTR Race BR-M985 Brake, Rear 243
    Shimano XT M785 SM-RT86 Ice Tech 6 Bolt Rotor 160mm, front/rear 129
    Continental Race King, Protection, 2.2, rear, tubeless 620
    Continental X-King, Protection, 2.2, front, tubeless 670
    Race Face crank arm protectors 16
    Niner integrated head set and star nut 107
    Bottom bracket skid plate (from cytoe, thanks!) 56
    ISC Racerstape brand frame protection tape 100 (?)
    Last edited by wheel-addict; 03-14-2013 at 06:08 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Awesome build! Can you post some closer pics of your the derailleur cable routing?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Go have fun on your new toy, They are great.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Dammit, seeing this post and pictures are making it really difficult for me to say "No, I don't need to purchase a Jet 9 RDO with XX1, my Carve is good enough for me right now". Seriously though, your build is sick and someday soon I will hopefully get one too. Congrats on the purchase and have fun on it!!

mtbr member
    Sweet looking bike! Hope you have MANY days of enjoyment on her. I think it's the best all around bike out there! BTW, What size cranks are those? They look really long.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    What did you use to seal the two head badge holes, RTV? Did you also seal the frame holes would internal routed cables are meant to exit?

Most parts for my Air9 RDO have arrived so almost time to assemble. I'm going 1x10 with XX1 cranks and wondering if the external routing of the cable isn't a smart way to go on that bike too? Less hassle and easier for future maintenance ... maybe smoother shifting???

Carbon & Ti rule
    No just run the cable the way it is ment to be, it is nice & eazy on the Air9 RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post
    What did you use to seal the two head badge holes, RTV? Did you also seal the frame holes would internal routed cables are meant to exit?

Most parts for my Air9 RDO have arrived so almost time to assemble. I'm going 1x10 with XX1 cranks and wondering if the external routing of the cable isn't a smart way to go on that bike too? Less hassle and easier for future maintenance ... maybe smoother shifting???

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    Can you post some closer pics of your the derailleur cable routing?
    Quote Originally Posted by kfb66 View Post

I carefully applied some very sticky tape to the inside of the head tube to seal up the holes and then filled the badge wholes with some silicon shower caulking I had lying around. On the exit side near the BB, I unscrewed the plastic cable guide and covered up the hole with clear frame protection tape. Perhaps I wouldn't have had a problem doing it the "proper" way, but I presonally prefer external full-length cables runs. Full length cables will only potentially shift better, have less contamination problems, are easier to replace (no fork drop!), and I think it even looks more balanced.

Here's a better picture of how I routed the cable. I have securely routed the cable along the right chain stay after it crosses from the left side of the frame in front of the rear shock and behind the chain ring. I put a little bit of electrical tape on the cable where chain might slap it, but since it's XX1, there is very little chain slap. I'll take some better pictures of the routing later, but the bike is currently in the shop getting the brake lines shortened.

First Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo-xx1-crank1.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks for the build compliments everybody!

Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Sweet looking bike! Hope you have MANY days of enjoyment on her. I think it's the best all around bike out there! BTW, What size cranks are those? They look really long.
    Cranks are 175mm. Perhaps they look long because of the single chain ring? I'm really glad I purchased the little Race Face crank "booties" from crankskins.com. I have already hit the ends pretty hard on rocks. The skid plate has also been hit pretty hard as well. It's very rocky here in NV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by wheel-addict View Post
    Thanks for the build compliments everybody!

Cranks are 175mm. Perhaps they look long because of the single chain ring? I'm really glad I purchased the little Race Face crank "booties" from crankskins.com. I have already hit the ends pretty hard on rocks. The skid plate has also been hit pretty hard as well. It's very rocky here in NV.
    I purchased two sets of the RaceFace cranks arm guards when I got my XX1 cranks. Arizona likes to chew up cranks. I got one grey set and one black. The grey match the XX1 logos perfectly.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Dude, real glad you like the xx1, but then again, I knew you would. Sick build.

mtbr member
    the bike is sweet. Like the red spokes to add just a hint of color. so what is the deal with the bolt on bottom bracket guard? where do you get one of those? I've only heard of them one other time. thanks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    the bike is sweet. Like the red spokes to add just a hint of color. so what is the deal with the bolt on bottom bracket guard? where do you get one of those? I've only heard of them one other time. thanks.
    The skid plate protects the down tube and linkage from rocks, logs ,etc. Here's my ad: Rock protection for Santa Cruz and Niner frames - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    For anybody interested in how I did the external XX1 cable routing, here are a few pictures. Super simple and very solid.
    First Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo_cable_routing-1.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo_cable_routing-2.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo_cable_routing-3.jpgFirst Niner! Jet 9 RDO, XX1, I9 Torch 24 wheels, etc-jet9rdo_cable_routing-4.jpg

Carbon & Ti rule
    Looks like you are a bit of a clear tape king like me.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Looks like you are a bit of a clear tape king like me.
    Yep, the closeups revealed my dirty little secret

mtbr member
    All these xx1 builds are making me want to wait on my build and save up a bit more.

Which tape are you using and where did you purchase it? I def want to do that.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by quote View Post
    Which tape are you using and where did you purchase it? I def want to do that.
    ISC Racerstape.com: http://www.amazon.com/ISC-Racerstape.../dp/B000TPC7HU

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    How do you like the i9 Torch wheelset?

mtbr member
    Got any info or a link to the crank arm boots?

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Crankarm boots are by RaceFace and purchased from Crankskins
    Already saved my cranks many times.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Absolutely love the wheels! Had no problem mounting tubeless with a floor pump. The engagement is instantaneous, the wheels are very light, and the wider rim profile makes the tires feel great. The 24-spoke wheels feel penty stiff for me (I'm ~150 lbs). Entered my first mtb race of the year on Saturday (True Grit) and got 2nd for 35+ men with them! The loud freehub was useful when I was lapping slower riders to let them know I'm behind them

Quote Originally Posted by dgw7000 View Post
    How do you like the i9 Torch wheelset?

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Glad you like them, I have a set coming. 32 hole purple spokes and hubs with silver rims.
    Congrats on first mtb race and the bike looks great!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Love the licorice jet! My lbs is telling me another few weeks for an XL. Patience grasshopper!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    With a 2x10 set up waiting to be built, how would you suggest (or would you not) running the RD cable the same way you did? Having a hard time visualizing where the cable would go with a derailluer. Above or below? Seems like below.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast