mtbr member
    Jul 2011

First month on my new Niner RIP9 RDO... Go buy one!

I've got about 150 miles on my 2014 Niner RIP9 RDO that I bought as a frame and built up. If you are even remotely considering this frame, go buy one while the deals are still there!

My overall impressions are that it sacrifices almost nothing on the climbing and makes me 5x more confident on the descents. I put a 28t front chain ring on and can grind up super steeps, I never feel like the front wheel is going to pop up and the rear suspension is awesome even when pumping the pedals hard. For comparison I've ridden my carbon hard tail up some of the same steeps, same gear ratio and a few pounds lighter, but not much of an advantage in terms of time elapsed or energy exerted. The RIP9 flies through flowy turns on XC stuff. Where it really shines is on rough descents, its a mix of the 29er wheel and the way the rear suspension operates. I found myself going much faster and always remaining very much in control. I also found myself sitting comfortably on the seat more, as opposed to standing or sliding back behind the seat. The overall geometry allows me to stay more forward on descents than my other bikes and keep my weight more evenly balanced.

Other things I really like about the RIP9:
    It's light and even with a seat dropper it's not hard to get a L frame built up to between 27-28 pounds.
    125mm rear travel is plenty for me, I didnt think I'd need more and for my riding style I now know I dont. But I'm glad I went bigger than 100mm and don't feel like I gave anything up going with 125.
    I love the head angle with a 140mm fork

Overall, I am really impressed with the RIP9 RDO. For the price you can land one of these now through CC with AJ rebate, you wont be disappointed.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Agree...I bought into the markdowns too early which pisses me off. Probably lost $500, but at least I saved $900!

A new set of wheels and Pike on the way and I will just about have my dream bike. Still fiddling with the bar.

Cant wait to take it to Fruita/Moab/Grand Junction this Spring

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Great to hear. I'm really looking forward to my future build. There are not too many bikes that tick all my boxes, and this one is actually reasonably priced. I never thought I'd call a $1400 frame "reasonable", but the market says it is.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Yup, but if you're willing (like me) to be behind in models by a few years you can always ride sweet bikes for "reasonable" prices. Hard to see how the new color/carbon drives the price of these down so much, but I'm not gonna argue.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've been gone for awhile so I don't really know the answer. Why are these frames being marked down so cheap? Is there a new release coming soon? I mean, this is really a great buy but I'm wondering why stores are doing a fire sale or clearance.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    The '15s just came out and the only changes appear to be different colors and a new "carbon compaction system" for the carbon layup. I haven't read of any frame stress failures like some of the other Niner models (JET RDO, JET Carbon, and Air 9 Carbon). I think someone recently mentioned that the newest frames feel stiffer, but all the reviews I've read about the RIP RDO since their inception says it's already a super stiff frame, so I don't think that's an issue...

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have said before on mtbr that this was a really weird situation. The blues went on sale, but the black's didn't despite the newer white color with the new carbon process being on the market. I have to imagine some customers bought the black thinking it was the newer version since it appears they have kept that color as a standard color. Does the newer black even have the new carbon at this point?

I get why Niner unloads frames, but this was an odd process it seems.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    I almost bought a new black RIP RDO on ebay from a licensed Niner dealer for the same price about 6-8 weeks ago. I backed out when I decided that the XL frame would likely be too big for me. So I don't think it was just the blue ones that went on discount, but they probably made more blues and have more left over. Just speculating though. Niner appears to be excellent with handling warranty issues, so if there are any problems down the road, I imagine we could get one of the newer frames as a replacement. I prefer the blue though personally, so hopefully it ends up being solid.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    FWIW....Just noticed the white and black are sale at WrenchScience for $1995. Not the best deal out there by a long shot, but still the current rig on sale.

Again, weird behavior by retailers with this frame. Not sure it says anything about what Niner will actually be doing with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    There are only 6 mediums and 13 larges left (the blue ones on sale) as of right now. Other sizes are sold out. If you are on the fence, best to pull the trigger now before they sell out. I'm 99% sure the price will not go lower, since there are 50% less bikes in inventory compared to last week.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yep there will be plenty of people sad that they missed out because of sitting on the fefence to long.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    All that's left now is 9 larges. They sure went fast in the past 10 days.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

First month on my new Niner RIP9 RDO... Go buy one!

Quote Originally Posted by OhioPT View Post
    All that's left now is 9 larges. They sure went fast in the past 10 days.
    From what retailer?

Where are people picking these up so cheap?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Backcountry or competitive cyclist. Use active junky for more savings

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    CC was offering $1699 but also 10% off if you bought 4 components and then the AJ cashback on top. Sub $1500 when it is all done and you get your AJ cash in hand.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    CC now has them listed at $1699, plus $250 credit. Add AJ to that and it's a no-brainer...
    Major push to get rid of RIP 9 in blue at the moment. Wonder if the new bike being announced on Friday will somehow replace the RIP? I hope not, but there may be too much of an overlap between JET and RIP and too little between RIP and WFO. So a more aggressive RIP? The colors on the new frame (although blurred out) are bright and loud... pretty enduro...

a.k.a. MTBMaven
    I went for this deal from CC and used AJ discount. Honestly not a fan of the matchy matchy blue but I'm sure it will grow on me and for that price for this bike it was too hard to pass up. This well be a huge step up for me. I'm coming from a 2007 Titus Racer X-29 with 100mm F20 15 and 9 speed Sram X9.

I went with the full bike as the components on my current ride are several generations old and not worth porting. I've switched out a few parts already and will send a few of the OE parts back for credit. I went with shorter stem, 60mm Syntace F109 for $60 on Amazon, hate the stock saddle, few other odds and ends. I'll be porting my wheels over and my King rear hub will be converted to 142x12 and XD.

The bike arrived the day I left on a 1.5 week business trip to Europe. Can't wait to start the build when I get back home. Meanwhile I plan my parts swap from the hotel room as a means of decompressing from long work days.
    I thought of that while riding my bicycle. ~ Albert Einstein on the theory of relativity

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Sounds you got the blue fork also. Not sure I'd like that either, but I like the blue frame a lot after really wanting a black. I'm not a blingy guy. Everything else is black on my bike but I like the blue now.

Maybe try to sell the blue Rev and get a Pike. Someone might want it. There are some good deals out there right now on the Pike. I got one for $711 from CC with AJ cash.

JTP
    mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Blue RIP 9 RDO

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Sounds you got the blue fork also. Not sure I'd like that either, but I like the blue frame a lot after really wanting a black. I'm not a blingy guy. Everything else is black on my bike but I like the blue now.

Maybe try to sell the blue Rev and get a Pike. Someone might want it. There are some good deals out there right now on the Pike. I got one for $711 from CC with AJ cash.
    Same as me. Rally Blue with everything else black. I don't like bling but this set up is really nice.