mtbr member

FAT9 - let's do this!

As winter rolls closer here in MN, I'm looking for a Fat Bike. How bad ass would it be if Niner made a 29 Fat Bike.. Surly has already done it with the Krampus..

I didn't think they'd ever build a road-ish bike.. Now it seems like the opportunities are endless.

Niner FAT9!

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Hmmm, I guess if it rolls 29" or bigger it should count regardless of wheel size. Niner should go with the 5" tires, my Bud and Lou roll 30.5" on a 70mm rim. They could also go with a carbon 29+ with the Knard tires as well.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Yes!

WIGGLER
    Since Niner added a CX bike to there line up Im with you they need to do a fat tired Niner They could call it a Ninard! I rode a 29er+ and I think these ride really good.
    PAYASO 36er.....Live the Circus

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    If Niner did a basic Aluminum Fatty with the EBB and the ablity to run 4.8" tires that would be sweet!

mtbr member
    Or a FAT SIR9! That would be sweet.
    Funkyzeit!

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I test rode a Krampus a few months ago. I was pleasantly surprised. If it was a bit more nimble (like my rigid-steel fork SIR.9 on 2.35 Ralphs), I honestly think they would have one fantastic trail bike.

Apparently, the 3" Knard on a Rabbit Hole fits in the existing Niner steel fork, likewise a 2.35 Ralph on a Rabbit hole at the back. I've yet to try this out as the 120tpi Knards are in short supply & work out ridiculously expensive this side of the pond.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I am shopping for a frame to replace my broken surly karate monkey that I run with a rabbithole 50 mm wide rim and racing ralphs in winter. Does a Niner make a frame with 6.5 cm of clearance between the chain stays that would fit my set up?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Radekal View Post
    I am shopping for a frame to replace my broken surly karate monkey that I run with a rabbithole 50 mm wide rim and racing ralphs in winter. Does a Niner make a frame with 6.5 cm of clearance between the chain stays that would fit my set up?
    My SIR.9 measures exactly 75mm between the stays where the widest part of the 2.35 Ralph sits. Surly posted some dims for the Knard & Rabbit Hole...

Here are some numbers that might help you decide if Knard or Rabbit Hole are right for you:

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Rabbit Hole 50mm rim will be 75.8mm/77.7mm (casing/tread) wide and will have a diameter or 779.4mm (at 19psi).

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Velocity P35 will be 72.6mm/76.7mm wide and have a diameter of 778.6mm.

A Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" tire will be 66.0mm/59.2mm wide and have a diameter of 752.2mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

A Continental Trail King 2.4" tire will be 65.5mm/57.1mm wide and have a diameter of 759.5mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

(The above numbers, as you may guess, will have some plus or minus to them when you mount up your own tires, because that's how the world works Ricky.)

mtbr member
    I would buy a ninard today.

psycho cyclo addict

SIR wide fork recommendations

Quote Originally Posted by takisawa2 View Post
    My SIR.9 measures exactly 75mm between the stays where the widest part of the 2.35 Ralph sits. Surly posted some dims for the Knard & Rabbit Hole...

Here are some numbers that might help you decide if Knard or Rabbit Hole are right for you:

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Rabbit Hole 50mm rim will be 75.8mm/77.7mm (casing/tread) wide and will have a diameter or 779.4mm (at 19psi).

The Knard 3.0 tire on a Velocity P35 will be 72.6mm/76.7mm wide and have a diameter of 778.6mm.

A Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.4" tire will be 66.0mm/59.2mm wide and have a diameter of 752.2mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

A Continental Trail King 2.4" tire will be 65.5mm/57.1mm wide and have a diameter of 759.5mm when mounted on a Rabbit Hole rim (at 35psi).

(The above numbers, as you may guess, will have some plus or minus to them when you mount up your own tires, because that's how the world works Ricky.)
    I run a RaRa 2.4 front/rear at present (Trail King 2.4 on the rear in snow mud sometimes too) on a Niner Steel fork and I am considering fatter options. I can go with a 3.0 tire on a Flow size rim (actually a Duster which is UST spec and should play nice tubeless with wider girth) or go full bore and put a Larry 3.8 w/ 135mm skewer (Halo bolt-on in reality) and a wider fork.

Any recommends for a 1 1/8" steer tube fork that will fit a 3.5+" tire on a 2010 Niner SIR frame?

Salsa Cromoto Grande, Surly Moonlander or something else?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    the best non-tapered fat fork out there is the Carver o'Beast.

Elitest thrill junkie
    No point, and while I expect Surly to make the Krampus frame for a while more, I doubt anyone else will make one after a year or two.

The problem is that other 26" fatbikes can often take 29er wheels WITH the 29+ tires. As most fatbikes are designed around ~5" tires, they can mostly fit the 29+ tires, and since 26" wheeled fatbikes are generally designed around 29er geometry, it's fairly ridiculous to buy a "special" bike for 29+, as you simply put the 29+ wheelset in your fatbike for summer, put the fat-bike wheelset back in for winter.

This is absolutely a niche market and one that I don't think Niner could exploit with a 29+ bike. It's just not going to pay off, not with fatbike development like it is. In fact, if they were at all clever, they would market it as a "29er" that you can put fat wheels and tires into, but even though it seems popular it's a fairly small population of the people buying these bikes relative to the total sold, just like downhill bikes and others.

BTW, On-One just announced their fat-bike carbon fork, less than $200 and something like 620g.
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by tri-tele View Post
    the best non-tapered fat fork out there is the Carver o'Beast.
    Man, that thing looks awesome; I am seriously tempted... lotta ducketts though.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I think a 29+ would be awesome. I like the idea of big tires but I cannot get used to 100mm wide bbs. The 29+ bikes have standard bb widths which is perfect!
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    they sometimes come up on the classifieds section here. second hand or new, totally worth the dough. they ride as nice as they look and have plenty of room for the biggest rim/tire combos currently available.

psycho cyclo addict
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    I think a 29+ would be awesome. I like the idea of big tires but I cannot get used to 100mm wide bbs. The 29+ bikes have standard bb widths which is perfect!
    I roll a 2.4 RaRa EVO up front on a Niner steel fork with a Halo bolt-on skewer now. A recent 65 mile SS ride was fine other than a bit of handlebar yankage on a couple of the descents.

Strongly considering "29+" up front (120 TPI Knard) on my Bontrager Duster rim (which has the bonty rim strip making it UST and TLR friendly and less likely to burp when setup tubeless). I'm wondering if that would give me just enough extra tire width to reduce brain shakeage and avoid going gonzo on weight and girth to wider fork and 3.8" + tire.

psycho cyclo addict
    they sometimes come up on the classifieds section here. second hand or new, totally worth the dough. they ride as nice as they look and have plenty of room for the biggest rim/tire combos currently available.
    I scored a wide fork so now I'm going to try two different front end setups my SIR. Niner steel fork w/Knard 3.0 on a "Flow" size (28mm outer / 22.?mm inner) rim and Surly Cromoto Grande forked Larry 3.8 on a Graceful Fat Sheba. If I like extra fat, then I'll see about light, fat and expen$ive stuff

psycho cyclo addict
    .5FatSIR- 29+ up front makes a 22.6 internal width Bontrager Duster look like a roadie rim from above though

I'm linking this setup so far... not noticeably heavier when I bunny hop and definitely rolls over bigger stuff.

(2.4 RaRa on the left...)
    FAT9 - let's do this!-forkz.jpg
    Name:  skinnyrim.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  76.7 KB

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    It has an RDO seatpost.
    FAT9 - let's do this!-10825729446_f9eedf1927_c.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    It has an RDO seatpost.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	10825729446_f9eedf1927_c.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	401.8 KB 
ID:	846343
    What frame is that in the picture?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    The Borealis Yampa. No FAT9 yet so this will have to suffice.