mtbr member

Enduro 29 vs. RIP RDO

This is making me question ordering a RIP. thoughts?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Enduro 29 vs. RIP RDO

Enduro.
    Last edited by mtnbiker831; 03-10-2013 at 09:42 PM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    On paper they're similar in some respects, different in others. At this stage it's all speculation as I very much doubt you're going to find all that many people who've had some serious saddle time on both bikes. My guess is that they'e going to both be very, very good, but I have no idea which one you're personally going to like best. If you really want an answer you're going to have to ride them both.

mtbr member
    The shorter stays are awesome but I want a little bit of pedaling efficiency not sure if the enduro will follow through with that..

Total Goober
    Sep 2009
    Boy, you get a lot of bike for the price on the Enduro. But my RIP (non-RDO) and WFO are the best frames I've ridden, so I would think Niner if you have an open budget.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuglio View Post
    You guys suck im all bummed now

FKA Malibu412
    Two quite different bikes, actually. Enduro is more oriented to pointing down hill with slacker ht angle, longer travel, longer wheel base. More AM, I'd guess one could say. RDO is more trail oriented with steeper angles and shorter travel. Probably lighter and a better climber, too, although still very capable when the front tire is pointing down.

The Enduro, at this point, is only at Comp level with alloy and as a complete bike. May require some upgrades depending on wheelset and suspension dependability while the RDO is carbon and much more customizable from the get-go. Will require deeper pockets.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes I have been looking at that to.

IMO they are so different that i'm not sure that I would even try to compair the to.

Were i'm riding my Jet9 RDO on Monday nights the longer stays are helping to keep the front wheel on the ground on the super steep climbs.

I have been trying to work out just how much the Rip9 RDO will give away to the jet9 RDO on these climbs.

The Enduro looks like it could be a fun ride but I'm of the school of everything has a cost somewere & that all that travel may be awesome for shuttle runs but at the cost of most other places.

I had talked myself into the fact that when they released a Rip9 RDO it would be 140mm rear travel & to be honest I was a bit gutted when I saw it was only 125mm

After I had a bit more time to calm down & think about it a bit more I started to think that maybe it was going to be a better bike over a greater percentage of the trails that I will be doing.

I do have friends that have there biggest bike spend on a bike that only gets used 5 or 6 days a year when they can get to do shuttle runs & that does seam a little nuts to me given that there every other day ride bike had to be a cheaper one because of it.

So it is a hard one because none of us have ridden either bike, But I'm not looking for a Down hill only bike & I'm sure that 155mm rear travel will have to give up a bit in climbing.

mtbr member

Enduro 29 vs. RIP RDO

CVA is unmatched.. Numbers are deceiving, CVA makes less travel feel like much more, and gives you the ability to pedal your bike, vs. the bike pedaling you.

FKA Malibu412
    @five5: maybe but CVA doesn't change a 67* ha and 150mm of travel v. a 70* ha and 120-140 mm of travel.
    "I love the bike. It's my meditation. I think I'm bike-sexual." -Robin Williams

mtbr member

Enduro 29 vs. RIP RDO

Nope, youre right it doesn't. Agree, two different bikes, but I've ridden plenty of Spesh bikes, and travel is much less firm, could have been the set up, but rides like I'm in quicksand vs my RIP.

Head Angle I didn't contest, but I doubt the RIP could handle less because of that.

Though, we are on the Niner forum, so I may be a little biased.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Apples and Oranges here.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I think Niner kept the travel in this category because their next new bike is going to be a carbon WFO, with 150-160mm travel. Hopefully based on a single chainring setup so they don't have to design it with any front derailer limitations. More 1x? will be coming out and would be perfect for this type of bike. Love my RIP with 1x10. Then you could shorten the stays and increase the travel easier. That bike would be a better one to compare to the Enduro. I would buy one.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Not to thread hijack but I would love a WFOc with 150+mm of travel (hint, hint Niner).

Yes, I agree with 2 completely different bikes being compared. Even the wfo with more travel than the RIPc and that has a hard time measuring up to the enduro29.

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by nolan17 View Post
    Not to thread hijack but I would love a WFOc with 150+mm of travel (hint, hint Niner).

Yes, I agree with 2 completely different bikes being compared. Even the wfo with more travel than the RIPc and that has a hard time measuring up to the enduro29.

-Nolan
    I'd also like a WFO with more travel, and I would almost certainly buy one if it was available...but I think what is also needed is a real 160 mm travel fork to suit a frame like that. The Dorado looks nice but I'd rather have a single crown fork like a 36. I know guys are having 26er forks milled out but I don't want to take that chance... I'm hoping that the rock shox rumours are true.

As far as the OP's question goes, as others have already said I don't think the bikes are really comparable. To me, on paper, the RDO seems to be much more of an all round bike, while the Enduro looks to be more DH focussed. The other thing that I'd consider is the suspension designs- I've spent lots of time on various fsr bikes and a WFO and the CVA system pedals much better IMO. I don't know if I'd trade that for short stays.

I'd definitely be keen to test ride both so I could know the answer for sure though! :P

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Having had an 05 dorado for a season, then an 11' dorado for 2 seasons and now a fox 34 150mm on my wfo this year I understand the need for a single crown long travel 29er fork. I believe rockshox is to debut a lyrik in at least 150 or even 160mm later this year, sea otter maybe?

I have 3 in my crew that would trade their wfo or a WFOc, ok now we have 5. Niner you listening? Oh and please leave the 150mm rear spacing as an option too

-Nolan

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    What he said, on all points. Make that 6.

Viva la Vida!

Enduro 29 vs. RIP RDO

Let's forget about the bikes and think about the brands (Makers)
    NINER all the way!
    Enough said I will never buy a Specialized due to their business practices and NINER makes the best 29ers on earth beside they are a great company an their customer service is second to none.
    Just my 2 cents
    We do not stop playing because we grow old;
    We grow old because we stop playing

Chumley for prez!
    Quote Originally Posted by BigSteve in CO View Post
    Boy, you get a lot of bike for the price on the Enduro.
    huh? I was actually thinking the pricepoint on the enduro was reaching the point of insanity. Guess it's all relative. Isn't an enduro carbon frame like $3500?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Nolan..Can I ask why you would prefer/like a 150mm single crown?

I have a 150mm travel Nicolai AM29 (Full custom my desgn) and am waiting for an Ion29 (Again, not a model yet, my design, up to 160mm travel) I have the 150mm Fox and tbh, its noodly. It was better at 140mm. Not to mention the CTD is ok at best.

I've been looking at the Dorado and wondering if I can stomach the extra 1.5lb or not, the a2c is the same give or take 2mm.

The Pike has now been announced with 35mm uppers, that may be an improvement, I'll try one when I can.
    Ideally a single crown 36 at about 2.3kg would be on the money but I can't see it happening now tbh. There is so much focus on the weight.

Do you find the Dorado just too heavy or is it not a great pedalling bike.

My Ion (And current helius) were both designed for enduro racing so weight is a question. Current bike comes in at 28lb. The Ion frame will be similar weight so a Dorado would take it to 29.5lb with more weight over the front..

Appreciate your feedback on that fork and why you might want a SC. Cheers
    Aka chainline...

mtbr member
    Enduro 29er all the way. I demo a rip RDO and there's no way it will keep up with my stumperjumper evo. FSR is so plush when it comes time to send it, rdo felt muted and long. I did not like it one bit.

Enduro 29 is a game changer if you like big wheels there's no other bikes like it. I'm not hating on Niner, I have a Niner air carbon but I think spec has been hitting the mark on their bikes when it comes to fun factor. Their geo, short stays, fsr makes roasting berms, pumping, and taking flight so addicting and fun.

Santa cruz is also putting out some good stuff. I demo the new Bronson this past weekend and it's for real. Enduro or Bronson should be your choice! Good luck and post back what you get.