Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: EMD pics?

mtbr member
    Not so patiently waiting for my Arctic White '14 EMD to arrive on thursday. I got the frame from Chain love for 275 shipped. Can't complain there.

For now its getting the components off a build that is too small for me

Manitou Tower Expert
    Sun Ringle Charger Comps
    I've got nics on it now but I've read some concerns about the tire clearance so we'll see i guess
    Set up 1x10 with race face deus cranks, xt shadow plus, xt chain and cassette, deore shifter
    Deore m615's although i fear I will need a longer hose for the rear
    Ordered the niner alloy seatpost and Cane Creek 40 headset
    Basic Race face bars and stem.

I'm looking at the new Reba's. I'd like to go thru axle and take advantage of the tapered head tube.

stoked gnar shred
    im not so patiently waiting on a black licorice 2014 EMD. Im hoping for delivery on friday. Will be my first niner. Pictures to come!!
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

mtbr member

dig the little red anodized cage bolts and niner logo in seat post clamp

stoked gnar shred
    2014. eat my dust. size large

EMD pics?-snapchat-360081341933637525.jpg
    abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    Just had this delivered today for my son.

I bought all the parts myself on various sites and I'm going to have my LBS build it. Right now I'm sitting at about $1300 minus a saddle and the bike shop is doing the labor free. A new 1 star build is $1500 and I've been able to get some better quality stuff than would be on the 1 star.

Frame: XS EMD 9
    Fork: Manitou Tower Comp 15mm thru axle 100mm travel
    Headset: Cane Creek 40
    Wheels: WTB Frequency i19 TCS with XT hubs
    Drivetrain: X7 1X10
    Cassette: SRAM PG-1030 11-36T
    Crank: Race Face Evolve 170mm with 32T NW
    Brakes: Hayes Stroker Ryde 180mm/160mm
    Stem: Truvativ Hussfelt 40mm 0DEG
    Bars: Chinese Carbon 680mm flat bar
    Grips: Race Face lock on
    Seat Post: Brand X Carbon
    Seat: TBD
    Pedals: Magnesium Flats

That's about everything, I could have picked a few things differently to save a little weight, but my goal was to keep it under $1500. Pics to follow once it's all put together. It may be a while though, the RD is coming from Taiwan.
    Here's the final product. The shop that did it specializes in road bikes and tri-bikes so there were a couple things he didn't do, like shorten the hydraulic brake lines and put the soft spring in the fork. I'm going to take it to a shop that does more mtn bike stuff, I also want to have them weigh it.

I wouldn't **** you, you're my favorite turd.

mtbr member
    Looks sharp!
    Niner Jet 9
    Santa Cruz Highball Carbon

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks for motivation folks. I have a RIP 9 RDO and was looking to build my wife a decent hard tail to encourage her budding interest in the sport. I have tons of 29er stuff around and then found the EMD size xs is perfect for her and available very cheap now. Getting ready to pull the trigger for $275ish + 10% AJ cashback at CC. I was digging around and think I'll only need a crankset/BB plus chain to get this thing built up with some decent parts for her.

mtbr member
    send a message to chain love and they might put it up even cheaper for you

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hankscorpio View Post
    send a message to chain love and they might put it up even cheaper for you
    Thanks, I shot them a message and will hold off until I hear back from them.

mtbr member
    They put it up for 250 when it was 300 on cc...plus it is cheaper shipping through them

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Chainlove wrote back and said they are the same company as CC and will give me a deal on shipping (25 instead of 49). So with the AJ cash back that should give me effectively free shipping once I get my AJ money. Odd the way many of these companies are intertwined... Anyway, great deal on this frame, psyched to put these extra parts to use too and give my wife a decent bike!
    They put it up for 250 when it was 300 on cc...plus it is cheaper shipping through them

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thats a sweet deal on that frame. I spent several months last fall looking for a deal like that on a small EMD9 for my wife. I never found it so I ended up buying a Goblin frame. Its a very nice frame, but not as aggresive as the EMD and as my wife progresses in her skills I can see the EMD might have been a better bike for her.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    CC would only cut me $25 shipping OR using the AJ referral link, so I took the instant savings and it's on the way for $300.

Curious what weight an XS will build up to. I have mixed 3x X9/Deore drivetrain and a decent pair of stans/xt hubs that I had pulled from another bike and then I have some light-ish weight cockpit and seat stuff. The 2014 Fox 120/90 Talas isn't exactly superlight, but it is never going on one of my bikes again so it's getting used here! Seems it should be pretty easy to get to 25 lbs with such a tiny frame.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I'm collecting all the bits for my EMD9 build. Do you have any suggestion for the seat post? I was thinking to Niner alloy or Thomson elite but some people say they provide a harsh ride for the EMD.

Thank you,

Lorenzo

Super Clyde
    I used an inexpensive carbon seatpost I picked up from Chain Reaction for my son's bike. It was only about $45 or so.

mtbr member

that was within 5 rides on the emd. obviously I must have landed on it when I shouldn't have but for an alloy post that isn't light I was pretty disappointed. currently running a reverb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by askibum02 View Post
    I used an inexpensive carbon seatpost I picked up from Chain Reaction for my son's bike. It was only about $45 or so.
    I don't know if I would trust cheap carbon parts; a failure could lead to serious consequences... on the other hand it's hard to justify spending 150 euros for a seatpost.

that was within 5 rides on the emd. obviously I must have landed on it when I shouldn't have but for an alloy post that isn't light I was pretty disappointed. currently running a reverb
    Wow... probably this could have happened with other seatposts, but it's not encouraging anyway. I guess Thomson it's the safer choice if I decide to go aluminum (and, BTW, in Europe you can find a Thomson post for less money than a Niner one).

Super Clyde
    Quote Originally Posted by zoorlen View Post
    I don't know if I would trust cheap carbon parts; a failure could lead to serious consequences... on the other hand it's hard to justify spending 150 euros for a seatpost.
    It's not a Chinese carbon post from eBay, it has a brand, even though that "brand" is Brand X. Also my son is 105lbs so it's not like he's going to stress it much. I would have serious doubts if I bought it for myself at 360lbs.

MC Hammer
    So I'm going to be building up an XL EMD 9 and have a few questions

1) I assume I can just run a 1X10 setup without any mods or issues? I'm planning to use my old XTR 960 cranks which I will modify as I've seen done on this forum.

2) What size steer tube should I select for my Fork? 1.125 or 1.5? I'm buying a Niner Carbon Fork

3)I'm getting the Cane Creek ZS44/28.6 ZS56/40 Headset as recommended on the Niner website. Should I get the "Tall"? I'm 6'2 with fairly long arms and legs. I'm thinking a taller headset might reduce the drop from the saddle to the handlebars and reduce the amount of spacers? Any drawbacks to getting the Tall headset?

4)Anyone running a Dropper Post? Got any recommendations?

5) I see lots of single rings with no Chain Guards, do you all run into any issues with chain drop?

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    No issue with XTR 1x10 crank (no need for chain guards with a good narrow wide - you need 1.5T forks

I was under the impression the tall headset is indeed basically a tall spacer so might as well go for it

RS Reverb would be my dropper of choice.

MC Hammer
    Thanks! Also, I assume a 35m Salsa Seat Collar will work?

Also, is anyone using a Shim on a 31.6 Seatpost?

mtbr member
    you needed a tapered steerer. I'm running a 380 mm 31.6 reverb dropper. so far so good. why would you need a shim...the emd should be a 31.6 seat post?

only drawback I see with the tall headset would be if you wanted to run your stem lower at some point. Bash guards do more for protecting your ring and chain than keeping chain on. use a n/w ring and a clutch derailleur and chain retention won't be an issue. add a bash if you are concerned about hitting rocks or logs

mtbr member

A pic of my EMD taken during the maiden voyage. Large frame, Reba, full XT drivetrain and brakes, ZTR Arch on XT hubs: 11.4kg with pedals and bottle cage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    [IMG]
    A pic of my EMD taken during the maiden voyage. Large frame, Reba, full XT drivetrain and brakes, ZTR Arch on XT hubs: 11.4kg with pedals and bottle cage.
    Where is the picture taken at? It looks like nice country. It kind of reminds me of where I grew up at in central ND.

mtbr member
    Hills north of Volterra, in Tuscany. Not the best picture to show how beautiful they are, actually...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Hills north of Volterra, in Tuscany. Not the best picture to show how beautiful they are, actually...
    Thanks for the reply. I had a feeling there was more beauty behind there than the pictures show. They still remind me of where I grew up, but much bigger and grandeur.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789