Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Thread: EMD pics?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by 5H2O
    I just finished my EMD, size large. It's set up as a 1X9, has mostly XT parts plus a Niner carbon fork. It weighs roughly 22lbs.

Doug
    Pics!? I don't think I've seen any EMDs with the Niner carbon fork posted up...

mtbr member
    It's the witching hour here in Michigan, so the light isn't the best.[IMG]EMD[/IMG]
    [IMG]Niner EMD[/IMG]

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    veeeeryyy nice

mtbr member
    May 2008
    "http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss271/db1705/DSC_0141.jpg" border="0" alt="Niner EMD">[/IMG]
    That looks awesome with the fork! Were you able to get the Paul guide to work out? A friend just tried it on an EMD and said it wouldn't fit.. it looks great without the bashguard and jumpstop..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnBikeNC
    That looks awesome with the fork! Were you able to get the Paul guide to work out? A friend just tried it on an EMD and said it wouldn't fit.. it looks great without the bashguard and jumpstop..
    So far, so good. The weld on the seat tube doesn't allow the Paul guide to go down as far as I would like, but the chain isn't going to drop off at all. I too like the clean look of it.

I'm still working on the stem height and length, so the spacers on top will eventually be gone. I'm real happy with everything on it except the MK 2.2's are a bit narrow. I'm running them at 25 psi. and they go pretty well on hardpack snow.

I'd been getting more discouraged with my FS bike over the past year or so and decided to try something totally different. 29'ers seemed to make a lot of sense to me and I figured that at my height, 6' 2", it would be a no-brainer. I haven't ridden rigid since about 1992. Well, my first fork was a Judy XC and that might as well have been rigid! I plan on using the Niner fork for a year and seeing if it chews up and spits out this 46 year old man!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    So far, so good. The weld on the seat tube doesn't allow the Paul guide to go down as far as I would like, but the chain isn't going to drop off at all. I too like the clean look of it.

I'm still working on the stem height and length, so the spacers on top will eventually be gone. I'm real happy with everything on it except the MK 2.2's are a bit narrow. I'm running them at 25 psi. and they go pretty well on hardpack snow.

I'd been getting more discouraged with my FS bike over the past year or so and decided to try something totally different. 29'ers seemed to make a lot of sense to me and I figured that at my height, 6' 2", it would be a no-brainer. I haven't ridden rigid since about 1992. Well, my first fork was a Judy XC and that might as well have been rigid! I plan on using the Niner fork for a year and seeing if it chews up and spits out this 46 year old man!
    I was on a little wheeled 5" trail bike prior to the EMD and I couldn't be happier with the change

Thanks for the info - I read on here somewhere that Paul is going to make more sizes - that that should solve the fit issue. If the fork starts to beat you up I'd try the Ardent 2.25 (same effective size as the Rampage) or the 2.4 which looks beast. It's an awesome front tire and can be run with pretty low pressure without folding in the corners.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I was on a little wheeled 5" trail bike prior to the EMD and I couldn't be happier with the change
    I've got a Cannondale Jekyll and I've been looking into getting a 29er. Why are you so happy with the change? Would you ever consider going back to 26 inch wheels for XC? How does the ride compare? It must be a bit rougher right? any answers would be great. Thanks

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PSpuza
    I've got a Cannondale Jekyll and I've been looking into getting a 29er. Why are you so happy with the change? Would you ever consider going back to 26 inch wheels for XC? How does the ride compare? It must be a bit rougher right? any answers would be great. Thanks
    Comparing a 5" bike to any hardtail isn't apples but ..

I would never consider going back to small wheels for XC/XC endurance. At 6' tall the 29" wheels fit 100% better. The cornering is considerably better and rear wheel traction is crazy awesome. It depends on the terrain you ride, but for me a HT in the 29r format is plenty comfortable.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Thanks for the help. Just one more question in north carolina are the trails fairly rooty and rocky? I live in north texas and on a 26in hardtail it really takes a toll on ya. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it would be a wise decision to just go and drop $1500 on a brand new 29er or find a cheep/used one and ride it and see if you like it first then upgrade. I could buy a EMD Frame for $500, and then build it up, or I can buy a complete origin 8 Scout for the same price. What should I do?

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PSpuza
    Thanks for the help. Just one more question in north carolina are the trails fairly rooty and rocky? I live in north texas and on a 26in hardtail it really takes a toll on ya. I guess I'm trying to figure out if it would be a wise decision to just go and drop $1500 on a brand new 29er or find a cheep/used one and ride it and see if you like it first then upgrade. I could buy a EMD Frame for $500, and then build it up, or I can buy a complete origin 8 Scout for the same price. What should I do?
    Yes, very rooty and rocky. If you're not sure see if you can find one to borrow or try out..demo?

29 some of the time...
    That looks awesome with the fork!
    Yeah, I just wish they would put a couple more 12" NINER decals on so that people can tell what kind of bike it is
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    that's the stupidest idea this side of pinkbike.

mtbr member
    Is TX as rocky as my part of PA?

EMD pics?

I love the 29" wheels on the rocks and roots.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    MY - your PA pic looks a lot like the Gambrill/Watershed area in MD..guessing your within an hr or two from there..
    Last edited by MtnBikeNC; 01-08-2010 at 09:18 AM.

no, I'm not riding SS

New EMD

My new rootbeer EMD 9

before

during

and after

--love this thing.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMD pics?-new_pics_10_2009-108_small.jpg  

EMD pics?-new_pics_10_2009-116_small.jpg  

EMD pics?-new_pics_10_2009-162_small.jpg  

EMD pics?-new_pics_10_2009-172_small.jpg  

EMD pics?-new_pics_10_2009-175_small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by shorner
    My new rootbeer EMD 9

before

during

and after

--love this thing.
    Nice ride. There's nothing like getting help from your son on your build!
    Mine helped me with mine also.

Doug

no, I'm not riding SS
    Nice ride. There's nothing like getting help from your son on your build!
    Mine helped me with mine also.

Doug
    Best help ever. And the best part is that every time we walk past the basement, he wants to see the bike. The wife just doesn't get it.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Spaceship Smiles....

My EMD..... at 22 elbows.......(lbs.)
    just tons of fun to ride.....fast.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by erock48111
    My EMD..... at 22 elbows.......(lbs.)
    just tons of fun to ride.....fast.

Nice looking bike for sure! But I'm calling BS on the weight. Everything on my build is lighter than yours and it was 21.9lbs. My pedals alone are nearly half a pound lighter. You build is probably just a bit over 23lbs.

mtbr member
    Eric if I remember correctly, your build came in at 23 pounds (I may be wrong)... I may be wrong, Hows everything working on the Niner?

That bike was probably my favorite build of the year!
    Adam • Ann Arbor, MI

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ADDam
    Eric if I remember correctly, your build came in at 23 pounds (I may be wrong)... I may be wrong, Hows everything working on the Niner?

That bike was probably my favorite build of the year!

Hey Adam..! The bike is sweet! Thanks.
    22-23... not really sure, can't remember either, but the other chap knows for sure around 23.........
    either way, it rocks !

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Yep, that color is HOT. I'm always jealous when I see one like that. Makes me wish I had gotten that instead of the grey.

mtbr member
    MY - your PA pic looks a lot like the Gambrill/Watershed area in MD..guessing your within an hr or two from there..
    My screen name didn't give it away? I do most of my riding in the Michaux State Forest, just north of the state line from Gambrill and the Watershed. I live in Gettysburg.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by MichauxYeti
    My screen name didn't give it away? I do most of my riding in the Michaux State Forest, just north of the state line from Gambrill and the Watershed. I live in Gettysburg.
    Oh, gotcha. I grew up in the DC area but moved south 4yrs ago and haven't ridden north of the Watershed area. I usually get back up and ride there once a year - the Watershed is awesome.

mtbr member
    Just resurrecting this thread for my own pleasure. I was out running some errands on my EMD and took a better picture. We've had about a week-long thaw going on here so the sidewalks and bike paths I take are pretty much all footprint encrusted ice. I had the Weirwolf LT's at 20 psi each and they worked great! No slipping, sliding, or spinning. I don't think I could run those that way in the summer, but it works for now.

Doug

Back in Black
    Just to follow-up on this I went through the same issues.

After a fair bit of grinding, I think I've got it low enough to handle a 34t ring.

Initially the seat/down tube junction was the issue but after you lower the chain guide enough (through grinding) the drive-side tension bolt on the chain guide ends up butting up against the down tube.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails EMD pics?-100_0238.jpg  

EMD pics?-100_0239.jpg  

EMD pics?-100_0241.jpg  

There’s nothing like a funeral to make you feel alive - SIXX AM

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast